Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 board modules — Parallax Forums

P2 board modules

Hi,
Forgive me if there has been any discussion on this before, but I tried searching and going through many back posts and can't seem to find any related thread on my question. Has there been any discussion yet on possible board modules for P2, specifically whether there will be some type of connector so we can add these modules in as piggybacks on other boards. That's the way I prefer to do it in my board projects so I can easily swap modules in and out. However, with the pin count of the most capable P2 at 100 pins what type of connector might be used that is readily available for us to add it into our project designs? Also, I haven't seen anything about power requirements, even some ball park figure would be useful for those of us who design our own power supply solutions on our project boards. Thanks.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    Years ago, there was an idea to make a P2 version of "Propeller Platform" that would allow "shields" to be put on top. Maybe that would work?
  • I supposed you could do something like that. It would have to have two 25x2 headers on opposite sides of the board or else four 25x1 headers arranged around the entire perimeter. I wonder what the insertion and removal forces would be for so many header pins.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2017-05-30 02:05
    .. Also, I haven't seen anything about power requirements, even some ball park figure would be useful for those of us who design our own power supply solutions on our project boards.

The easy one first - Any module will likely be able to operate from 5V. Current will be somewhat MHz and COG# related, but would be more than P1.
    Simplest modules would have linear regulators, but at the expense of higher 5V loading.

Hi,
    Forgive me if there has been any discussion on this before, but I tried searching and going through many back posts and can't seem to find any related thread on my question. Has there been any discussion yet on possible board modules for P2, specifically whether there will be some type of connector so we can add these modules in as piggybacks on other boards..
    Nothing formal is decided, but you can look at FLiP to get one idea, and also look at RaspPi Zero and Ardunio.
    Ardunio is 5V and large, with limited pin counts, so I'd expect that to drop down the list.
    FLiP is 40 pins only, so needs more headers...

RaspPi Zero has a 40pin dual row connector, and is a compact 65 x 30, so one solution is to add a second 40p header to that form factor.

That would mean P2 could replace Pi in some case, and slave to Pi in others.

Once a form-factor is chosen, you basically 'fill it up'. WiFi has been mentioned, but is likely to be a build-option.

Addit: another likely build-option, would be HyperRAM device, - PCB area for that option is small @ 6x8mm, & the BGA package would be very hard for users to manage themselves.