Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Program the BS 2 over WiFi — Parallax Forums

Program the BS 2 over WiFi

I have an application running on the BS 2 which utilizes the WiFi module. Is there a way to send program updates to the BS 2 over wiFi?

Comments

• There used to be a module available to do this, but it does not look like it is available any more.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Bluewolf+Flashfly
  • The issue is timing. The BS2 requires that the program information be supplied quickly and wireless modules can't guarantee the timing because of the need for error correction and retransmission.
  • I think Parallax will eventually support loading the BS2 using their WX wi-fi modules. I'm not sure about when that feature will be available though.
  • Spoiler alert: Going to talk about non-stamp stuff -- maybe move this to General Discussion

Mike is correct regarding the timing issues and mirrors my experience with going wireless with the BS2.

If the wireless programming connection is a key element of your project, I have been working recently with programming microcontrollers over wifi and have found the BASIC interpreter for the ESP8266 to be reasonably workable. In all fairness, it is a personal project of the gentleman who hosts the ESP8266basic.com website and the product is not commercial quality yet. But, it will allow programming in a language close the that of the BS2, et al. The firmware downloads easily into a generic ESP8266.

It uses most variations of the ESP and allows programming directly from a browser on a laptop any where on the network. The ESP (depending on model) has several digital I/o, including one analog and the interpreter has some really neat commands such as sending an email with a couple of commands or printing directly to the browser screen.

Cheers
  • I'm thinking that Tracy should merge his Stache Programmer concept with a wireless module. Send the tokenized BS2 file wirelessly to the Stache, then let the Stache manage the local RS232 interface so that timing issue is ruled out.

I honestly can't believe that someone hasn't resolved the wireless timing issue with the programming sequence of a Stamp. How is a 115200 baud wireless connection not able to stay ahead of a 9600 baud serial interface?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2017-04-28 02:22
    I honestly can't believe that someone hasn't resolved the wireless timing issue with the programming sequence of a Stamp. How is a 115200 baud wireless connection not able to stay ahead of a 9600 baud serial interface?
    +1
    stamptrol wrote: »
    ...it is a personal project of the gentleman who hosts the ESP8266basic.com website and the product is not commercial quality yet. But, it will allow programming in a language close the that of the BS2, et al. The firmware downloads easily into a generic ESP8266.

I've had a lot of fun playing with Michael's ESP8266basic. It has a total 1994 BS-1 vibe to it. The structure need some finish work, but it's a very promising start.