Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A sad day: RIP 'Shack - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

A sad day: RIP 'Shack

Comments

• OK finally visited the Mandeville, LA store today. It's definitely not slated to close, although the guy working there said they had some sleepless nights while it was being decided. 20% off everything, which is not real compelling at RS if you didn't need something to start with. 30% off some of the tools and accessories. 50% off all the electronic parts, which is still not all that compelling compared to mail order in most cases. I did pick up a handful of battery holders (the good enclosed ones with on/off switches) because those are go-to for quick projects and it's awkward to order just one of them when you realize you need it. There were no Parallax products at all, and the Make: / Arduino / robotics stuff was all only 20% off, not very compelling. They did have good inventory and the guy verified that they were getting shipments originally meant for other stores -- "It's stacked up to the ceiling out back."
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2017-04-03 02:29
    adios.0.0.png

Good find ERCO! That sign sure does meet the truth in advertising requirement!!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    If you liked that rADIOShack goodbye message, you'll love what they have planned for the "Sam Fox" store closings!
    Speaking of signs and store closings, I missed a rare opportunity to take a meaningful photo just a few years ago. I was driving to work in the morning and I passed by a closing video rental store exactly as a giant crane had plucked the giant "Hollywood Video" sign off the post up front. In retrospect, that image really signified the end of an era and I'll forever regret not pulling over and getting the shot. Please make sure they inscribe that failure/missed opportunity on my tombstone. Unless cemetaries are the next institution to fall.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    erco wrote: »
    Speaking of signs and store closings, I missed a rare opportunity to take a meaningful photo just a few years ago. I was driving to work in the morning and I passed by a closing video rental store exactly as a giant crane had plucked the giant "Hollywood Video" sign off the post up front. In retrospect, that image really signified the end of an era and I'll forever regret not pulling over and getting the shot. Please make sure they inscribe that failure/missed opportunity on my tombstone. Unless cemetaries are the next institution to fall.

I recently read that composting is the up and coming thing in burial so tombstones may also be out.
  • erco wrote: »
    If you liked that rADIOShack goodbye message, you'll love what they have planned for the "Sam Fox" store closings!

"a ox"? It's not even grammatically correct!
  • Here's to getting a tombstone in before the deadline. Just over two years ago:
    1080 x 1920 - 408K
  • kwinn wrote: »

I recently read that composting is the up and coming thing in burial so tombstones may also be out.

Didn't Ray Bradbury or someone write a story along the lines of cemeteries being done away with??
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I thought cemeteries were already obsolete.

I don't know anyone who has been buried in a cemetery since my father passed in 1987.

There is not enough space around here to put everyone. Unless they have money to pay for a plot. Also a majority now don't identify as Christian so they would not be allowed in anyway.

Heater. wrote: »
    Also a majority now don't identify as Christian so they would not be allowed in anyway.

Aw, c'mon, people are just dying to get in. Hottest ticket in town for those non-Christians!

potato_grave0011.jpg?w=1400

I don't know anyone who has been buried in a cemetery since my father passed in 1987.

Neil de Grasse Tyson supports burial and composting (over cremation), that's good enough for me!

Reader, Behold! As you pass by,
    As you are now, so once was I,
    As I am now, so you must be,
    Prepare for death and follow me.

A potato salad!

• I sold off my big city sub-terrainian rest area a few years ago, now without a permanent plan.
    Hope to jump in to a big hole in the back yard when it's time. If it's deep enough, they won't look for you. I am already paying for this land, why should I have to pay for more.
    Also a majority now don't identify as Christian so they would not be allowed in anyway.

Aw, c'mon, people are just dying to get in. Hottest ticket in town for those non-Christians!

potato_grave0011.jpg?w=1400

LOL, good one erco. How do you come up with all this stuff?
    I inherited dear old Dad's penchant for bad puns & jokes!
    Or, from one of my favorite bands of the late 1970's, Alberto Y Los Trios Paranoias:

"Cos living is a cliche
    it's all been done before
    death is the only thing
    we've got left to live for...
    ...life is cheap
    but death is free!
    Die die die
    come die with me...
    ...don't wanna be cremated
    or buried in a grave
    just dump me in a plastic bag
    and leave me on the pavement

a tribute to your modern world
    your great society
    I'm just another victim
    of your highrise fantasy!"
    Heater's on a roll! You go, mate!
  • Well this thread turned hilariously grimdark fast
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010

There is not enough space around here to put everyone. Unless they have money to pay for a plot.
    Most people in Norway are still buried. But of course the population size is not comparable to the UK or other larger countries in Europe
    Are you sure about that? That's certainly not the case in Norway, and I would assume most if not all civilized countries have done away with that rule. I have no idea where everybody would be buried in Norway if that were the case.. with so many atheists and non-Christians in general.

• Returned to the Mandeville 'Shack today, not expecting much. Max discount was still 50% but many of the 20% and 30% areas had morphed to 30%, 40%, and even 50%. Got a length of EL wire and inverter, a couple of Arduino proto-shields (which I really intend to use with my Propeller ASC), a couple of audio jacks, and a couple of Ethernet RJ45 couplers all 50% off, which is pretty compelling even at the inflated original 'Shack pricing. The Ethernet couplers were marked 30% but rang up 50% off, there maybe other unmarked bargains in the store.

The clerk was busily telling *everyone* that this store will stay open, but they're selling aggressively to make room for inventory from other stores that aren't. The store personnel thought the fire sale was ending March 31 and were surprised to find it becoming more intense instead in April. The discounts on tools and hobby robotic stuff are starting to get tempting. (EL wire, mmmmmmm.)
  • "selling aggressively ..." I had to spend last Monday packing 30 boxes of product in a closed store. The rest of the week trying to get it all put away and priced.
    Jim
    This Radio Shack funeral and wake must set the record for being the longest one in recorded history.
    edited 2017-04-09 14:26
    kwinn wrote: »
    This Radio Shack funeral and wake must set the record for being the longest one in recorded history.

Agreed. Rasputin Shack, the store that died forever! One store near me closed last week. Two others bleeding out, only one in Long Beach slated to stay open.
  • I'm lost without a shack close to me, though there may still be one in Sandusky OH. That's inside a mall, and mall's aren't doing to well these to day's. But it's still forty minutes away, that's when you start looking on line.
  • Our local RS has changed its "we're just selling items from stores that are closing!" to "Closing sale, everything must go!"... Kinda funny though that the "sales" prices are based on manufacture's retail prices from ages ago on items that had actually been on discount for months. So, 20-30% off pricing is higher than former sales pricing on many items. It's as though they think we're stupid & will buy because of the "Everything must go" signs even at higher pricing.

I'm waiting until they have to close the doors and drop prices again before I return to the store...

dgately
  • At my local store the discounts were at 70% to 90% off a few weeks before it closed. Everything in the parts drawer was 90% off. You need to get there as soon as it hits the 70%/90% point because all the good stuff will sell out fast.
    dgately wrote: »
    It's as though they think we're stupid & will buy because of the "Everything must go" signs even at higher pricing.

dgately

Of course they do. Almost everyone involved in marketing and sales is of the opinion that the vast majority of consumers are idiots. That's why almost everything is priced a penny or two below an even dollar. Like we can't figure out that the difference between $49.98 and $50.00 is two cents.
    edited 2017-04-09 19:44
    So now where will the general public go for ten-dollar watch batteries? Is there an over-unity business opportunity here for anyone with a jeweler's screwdriver and twenty bucks?

Turn 20 cents into ten bucks in maybe 5 minutes? Sign me up!