Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CypherCon 2017 Badge — Parallax Forums

CypherCon 2017 Badge

Hey everyone!

Every few months we have a new Propeller-based badge and this time is no different! We got to make the CypherCon 2017 badge and had two processors on it. One being a PIC and the other being, of course, the Propeller :).

I'll have more information as I get documentation together, but thought you guys may enjoy that we managed to write a text-adventure game on a Propeller!

Comments

• Wow! Just.... Wow!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Congrats!
    Lots of interesting ideas mixed in there!
  • I had to watch this twice a couple of times.

Absolutely impressive. I am speechless. In three delicious dimensions. Yes.

Last time I met you, at Parallax, you where soldering your nice Heart-Shaped Simulator - now you are soldering 100 thousand of parts?

Just WOW. Or for those in Australia MOM.

Any chance to peek at the sources later on?
    Text adventure on a Propeller?
    Your mesh-networking is also quite cool and interesting

Overall the best badge I have ever heard of.

I wish you lots of fun on the convention.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • Hi all,

Thanks so much for your kind comments! We'll release a longer video in the near future to show off all of the aspects, including the text adventure :) and inspiration for the badge will be documented here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tymkrs/comments/632j9a/cyphercon_badge_2017_cyphercon_20/ . It was fun getting to hear how people died ("I keep suffocating! Why do I keep suffocating!?"). Yeah, my soldering skills are now a far cry from where they used to be :). I'll see if Whisker's up for releasing the source, but it required quite a few rounds of code optimization as Whisker easily hit the long limit on the Propeller a dozen times or so!

~Addie
  • This device is so impressive I thought it was an April Fool's joke.

I'd be really interested in the business side of how you made this product, too. The BOM cost, NRE, etc. if you are willing to share off-line.

Ken Gracey
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    I'd be really interested in the business side of how you made this product, too. The BOM cost, NRE, etc. if you are willing to share off-line.

Or online! :)

• I was thinking of sending one to you guys Ken as the Propeller plays a central role in the epicness of this (and hopefully future) badges!
  • Well done tymkrs. You are a quality Class A Prop resource!
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Tymkrs wrote: »
    .. We got to make the CypherCon 2017 badge and had two processors on it. One being a PIC and the other being, of course, the Propeller :).
    Which PIC do you use, and is there a BOM of the main components ?

• Glad you guys like it :) For screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/BzB8D <-- album of screenshots of the game and what can be done in it (some of the stuff anyway)

JMG - here's the PIC:
    https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/PIC32MX270F256B-I-ML/PIC32MX270F256B-I-ML-ND/4902628

Was there anything in particular in the BOM that you wanted to see?

Addie