Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about Xbee wireless communication between two propeller microcontrollers — Parallax Forums

Question about Xbee wireless communication between two propeller microcontrollers

tomato1980tomato1980 Posts: 3
edited 2017-03-19 20:42 in Propeller 1
I have a question about Xbee wireless communication between two propeller microcontrollers.

I have two propeller board of education and two Xbee modules (XBee-PRO S2C 802.15.4 w/Wire Antenna)
I could achieved one direction communication, from one propeller to other propeller.
→One propeller just sends message and other propeller just receives the message.

But I wonder if I can achieve duplex communication between two propellers.

This means, can both propellers send and receive message by Xbee module at the same time for duplex communication?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2017-03-19 18:33
    Have you looked in the OBEX (here for example)? What do you want to send back and forth? You can't quite have independent full-duplex communications (from your program's perspective because there are commands and responses going back and forth between each Propeller and its corresponding xBee module). These are full-duplex, but the radio channels are effectively half-duplex.
  • Admin: Thread moved to Propeller 1 category
  • Mike Green wrote: »
    Have you looked in the OBEX (here for example)? What do you want to send back and forth? You can't quite have independent full-duplex communications (from your program's perspective because there are commands and responses going back and forth between each Propeller and its corresponding xBee module). These are full-duplex, but the radio channels are effectively half-duplex.

>>Mr.Mike. Thank you for your comment. What I want to do is・・・
    When there are propeller A and propeller B (each propeller has a Xbee module), A and B propellers send and receive messages each other at the same time.

I attach the outline figure of what I want to do.

1082 x 1050 - 111K
  • Setup your XBees for transparent mode, addressed to communicate with each other. Then treat the connection like a wired connection.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    Setup your XBees for transparent mode, addressed to communicate with each other. Then treat the connection like a wired connection.
    Publison wrote: »

Thank you guys, I understood page 25 in tutorial is similar to what I want to.
    But I am still confusing because I am trying to make wireless connection by propeller C in simple IDE(Not spin code).

In my computer, simple IDE cannot read spin code・・・

Thus, my confusing points are
    (1) How should I set my Xbee as a transparent mode in simple IDE?
    (2)
    For now, my c codes for one direction communication are
    ********transmitter side***********
    fdserial *xbee;

int main()
    {
    xbee = fdserial_open(9, 8, 0, 9600);

while(1)
    {
    dprint(xbee,"A");
    }

}

*********Receiver side**********
    fdserial *xbee;

int main()
    {
    xbee = fdserial_open(9, 8, 0, 9600);
    char c;
    while(1)
    {
    c = fdserial_rxChar(xbee);
    print("data is %c",c);
    }
    }

For this code, I should add another connection like a ybee for another wireless connection?
  • For this code, I should add another connection like a ybee for another wireless connection?
    No. The fdserial library has transmit and receive capabilities (fd is for full duplex). Review the library docs for details (I program in Spin so I can't help you).