Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Low cost wifi module ESP8266 - Page 18 — Parallax Forums

Low cost wifi module ESP8266

1121314151618»

Comments

• yeti wrote: »
    Clock Loop wrote: »
    It seems I have major issues with an esp that doesn't have an antenna built in.
    I have 8 of these, and they seem to be a bad design.
    Which pins did you pull up or down while programming or running?

The original modules typically need such action, more complex devboards don't...

GPIO15 pulled low using 2k all the time.
    CH_PD pulled high using 2k all the time.

TO program I pull GPIO0 low and apply power.
    TO run I pull GPIO0 high and apply power.

The units program fine, but when it comes to connecting to them, and getting them to see my wifi networks, they act very random.
    Most definitely some kinda issue with not having a built in antenna.

• yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2016-11-15 10:46
    Clock Loop wrote: »
    The units program fine, but when it comes to connecting to them, and getting them to see my wifi networks, they act very random.
    Most definitely some kinda issue with not having a built in antenna.
    ...but you added some kind of antenna?
  • FYI, I just pushed a few changes to the build process to make it easier to build Parallax-ESP. The main one is that I've added an already-patched version of the Espressif SDK to our repository and have made the Makefile use that in the build. Just thought I'd mention that since a few here have been working with the code.
  • yeti wrote: »
    ...but you added some kind of antenna?

I tried a few different antenna, one taken out of a laptop (pcb), one removed from pci wireless card with external antenna. (i desoldered the antenna connector, and connected this to my esp antenna pin.)

The only thing I haven't tried is removing the antenna pin that touches the breadboard, and solder the antenna directly to the antenna pin.
    (which might work, due to stray capacitance and flaky breadboard contacts)

I am not too concerned about it, i can just buy the ones with antenna on the pcb, 6 bux times 8 is not that much money.

My advice to people is avoid esp's without pcb antennas.
    Controlled impedance gets pretty fun(not) when working with blobs of solder and different conducting metals.

I have one more pcb antenna that I can give a try with also, looks like this.
    serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fimg.everychina.com%2Fpic%2F41584273-250x250-1%2Fpcb_antenna_pcb_antenna.jpg&sp=fe28472445b2a2d2ae0fbc714783579f

David Betz wrote: »
    FYI, I just pushed a few changes to the build process to make it easier to build Parallax-ESP. The main one is that I've added an already-patched version of the Espressif SDK to our repository and have made the Makefile use that in the build. Just thought I'd mention that since a few here have been working with the code.

That does make it easier, and eliminates many possible future version incompatibilities, or not doing the sdk download/patch + makefile mod properly.
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2016-11-28 01:17
    Not sure if code suggestions should go here, but... or is there a place on github?

I noticed the HOSTNAME of the module dosen't change to match the module name.

So I added this line
    wifi_station_set_hostname(flashConfig.module_name);
    to file: sscp-settings.c inside the setModuleName function.
    static int setModuleName(void *data, char *value)
    {
        os_memcpy(flashConfig.module_name, value, sizeof(flashConfig.module_name));
        flashConfig.module_name[sizeof(flashConfig.module_name) - 1] = '\0';
        softap_set_ssid(flashConfig.module_name, os_strlen(flashConfig.module_name));
    	return 0;

Now when I custom rename my module, its module name and hostname on the network are the same. (after I rebooted my router)

This means I can now put http://modulename and it will find my module config page.
  • Clock Loop wrote: »
    Not sure if code suggestions should go here, but... or is there a place on github?

I noticed the HOSTNAME of the module dosen't change to match the module name.

So I added this line
    (wifi_station_set_hostname(flashConfig.module_name);
    to file: sscp-settings.c inside the setModuleName function.
    static int setModuleName(void *data, char *value)
    {
        os_memcpy(flashConfig.module_name, value, sizeof(flashConfig.module_name));
        flashConfig.module_name[sizeof(flashConfig.module_name) - 1] = '\0';
        softap_set_ssid(flashConfig.module_name, os_strlen(flashConfig.module_name));
    	return 0;

Now when I custom rename my module, its module name and hostname on the network are the same. (after I rebooted my router)

This means I can now put http://modulename and it will find my module config page.
    Good suggestion. I added the code you suggested. Do you know if this change will persist over reboots of the ESP or does it have to be set on each power up?

• David Betz wrote: »
    Do you know if this change will persist over reboots of the ESP or does it have to be set on each power up?

After you mentioned this, I tried to power cycle my esp with hostnames and you are right on questioning this, the hostname goes back to its original hostname at reboot.

So this wifi_station_set_hostname(flashConfig.module_name); function call must be placed somewhere else, in a main loop or something.

Don't know where that would be.

Also, not sure if your module name filter is ok for hostname call requirements. wifi_station_set_hostname()

IF you can figure out a better placement (in a initialization function?) And keep it in the setModuleName also.

IF you are not doing a wifi_station_set_hostname() call ever and let the esp devkit set its hostname, then set the hostname to match the module name immediately after poweron, as a first priority, even before turning on the radio on.

I think your html launcher uses esp8266.net as a hostname at some point? (this could also be part of the dev kit)

You have a ws-"xxxx" type format for module id name for the module name, so just make your hostname match it?
    I think a big part of this is to set wifi_station_set_hostname() before connecting any wifi connection, because the very first hostname reported to the router will stick.

Do you know if this change will persist over reboots of the ESP or does it have to be set on each power up?

After you mentioned this, I tried to power cycle my esp with hostnames and you are right on questioning this, the hostname goes back to its original hostname at reboot.

So this wifi_station_set_hostname(flashConfig.module_name); function call must be placed somewhere else, in a main loop or something.

Don't know where that would be.

Also, not sure if your module name filter is ok for hostname call requirements. wifi_station_set_hostname()

IF you can figure out a better placement (in a initialization function?) And keep it in the setModuleName also.

IF you are not doing a wifi_station_set_hostname() call ever and let the esp devkit set its hostname, then set the hostname to match the module name immediately after poweron, as a first priority, even before turning on the radio on.

I think your html launcher uses esp8266.net as a hostname at some point? (this could also be part of the dev kit)

You have a ws-"xxxx" type format for module id name for the module name, so just make your hostname match it?
    I think a big part of this is to set wifi_station_set_hostname() before connecting any wifi connection, because the very first hostname reported to the router will stick.
    Thanks for verifying that the name is not set persistently. I'll look into setting it at startup.

edited 2016-11-28 17:54
    Thanks for verifying that the name is not set persistently. I'll look into setting it at startup.

Great to see the changes on github, will test later today.

Oh, and what is this? New store product?
    https://www.parallax.com/product/32420s
    When did this get added? Wed, 2016-11-23 18:24 $24.95
    32420Sa.png?itok=Z6T2EU3e
    32420S.png?itok=VUhYV3G1

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/parallax-wx-esp8266-wi-fi-module-product-guide
    https://www.parallax.com/downloads/parallax-wx-wi-fi-module-firmware-and-example-files
    https://www.parallax.com/downloads/parallax-wx-wi-fi-module-firmware-guide

Is all the #32420 firmware under open source license?
  • That is one of the modules that the Parallax-ESP firmware was written for. The other is pretty much the same but with Xbee headers installed instead of the SIP header so it can be plugged into an ActivityBoard WX.
    Is all the #32420 firmware under open source license?
    Yes, all of the firmware is open source. Also, Parallax will release the module schematic but not the PCB layout files.
    edited 2016-11-29 01:25
    I have verified that the hostname code changes persist through power cycle.
    Great!

Different question!

I want to use a SIP header module type configuration

I noticed GPIO12 is not on the sip. This is the reset you use to program a propeller.

When programming a propeller using the 32420sip, what pin on the sip header would you use as the propeller reset, RTS?

I have verified that the hostname code changes persist through power cycle.
    Great!

Different question!

I want to use a SIP header module type configuration

I noticed GPIO12 is not on the sip. This is the reset you use to program a propeller.

When programming a propeller using the 32420sip, what pin on the sip header would you use as the propeller reset, RTS?

So far I've only used the DIP version of the module to program a Propeller on an ActivityBoard WX. I guess you could switch reset to the RTS pin if you want to use the SIP module.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    I'm late to this party, I just got my first NodeMCU ESP8266 today. Wow, so cheap and easy to use with the info at ESP8266BASIC.com . Maybe my fridge DOES need to be connected to the Internet...

It's got kinda they same vibe & learning curve as my first BS-1 back in 1994. Diggin' it.
  • erco wrote: »
    I'm late to this party, I just got my first NodeMCU ESP8266 today.
    I think, they look like cubistic minions.
    \o/
    I'm late to this party, I just got my first NodeMCU ESP8266 today. Wow, so cheap and easy to use with the info at ESP8266BASIC.com . Maybe my fridge DOES need to be connected to the Internet...

It's got kinda they same vibe & learning curve as my first BS-1 back in 1994. Diggin' it.
    Looks cool but why not run the NodeMCU software on it instead of BASIC?

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Will try that next, just got it today and had a bit of playtime.
    I played with NodeMCU a bit. It's quite a nice language. My problem was that it didn't leave much RAM left. That is one big problem with the ESP8266. It's very RAM constrained. You can put lots of flash on it though.

• MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    erco wrote: »
    I played with NodeMCU a bit. It's quite a nice language. My problem was that it didn't leave much RAM left. That is one big problem with the ESP8266. It's very RAM constrained. You can put lots of flash on it though.

P2 should be big enough to run eLUA as well ...
  • Hey guys, late to the party but just starting to experiment with my nodemcu devkit v1 board and I'm having some issues. Because I've got "other projects" I'm trying to focus on, I don't want to spent a bunch of time redesigning the wheel. I was hoping to get the parallax WX firmware working but after flashing the firmware there seems to be an issue with the watchdog timer resetting the chip. The GUI elements don't look like the examples from the parallax pdf, maybe that's a hint at what's going on? I was able to see the module in simpleide, although I haven't tried programming.

Then I tried loading David Betz's ESP-8266-loader and the device shows up on my network but Proploader -W is not showing the module. I really like that I can compile and load David's code using the Arduino ide I already have installed. I was hoping I could simply use the Serial.Swap() to use GPIO 15 and 13 for serial pins since the board has a CP2102 connected to GPIO 1 and 3. Not having any luck figuring out where to go from here and having already wasted a day on this I though I'd see if anyone has some advice on where to go from here.

Thanks as always,
    Joe
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2020-11-30 17:25
    doggiedoc wrote: »
    I don't seem to be getting very far.

Think I need to just walk away for a spell.
    Reviving this thread once again as I have spent considerable time over the last week trying to communicate with my ESP based modules (WX-modules included) directly from SPIN/SPIN2 and I want to make the thread more visible and easier to find later after work today. ;)

• So did you use the AT-firmware?
    My opinion about the AT-firmware is: hard to use.
    it will be much easier to write some code with the Arduino-IDE and do the rest with data-exchange through a serial interface that is adapted to your needs.

If you tell what you want to do I can make suggestions

best regards Stefan
  • Yes, I can connect with the prop-plug and Termite Terminal application and use AT commands to send start a server and connect from my browser and send "hello world" in html so it displays in the browser. I can flash with the Espressif flash tool and update the firmware.

What I am trying to do next that has me held up is writing spin code sends AT commands via Tx/Rx.

I see some examples earlier in this thread that may explain what I am doing wrong. I'll try again with those examples.

Here's the hookup:

CE19158A-89B9-4258-B15D-314C76C13EB5.jpeg

6F003802-B50E-40E6-A990-C188F5F00628.jpeg

Doc
  • Hey!
    I have that power supply here. In fact it's strapped for 5v as it is busy feeding a TTL based setup that has been causing me massed consternation for the past several days.

Where did you @doggiedoc find yours? And of course that ESP8266 I saw there.
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2020-12-01 05:45
    me personal I don't like this AT-firmware. I switched over programming the ESP8622 with the Arduino-IDE
    here is a link to a demo-code for a small webserver

It uses a nodeMCU-board. Except for the IO-pins it should work with your tiny ESP8266-01-board too.

Instead of switching IO-pins like the demo
    you can use the serial interface to communicate with your propeller-chip.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp8266-web-server/

these tiny ESP8266-01 boards are the tiniest and cheapest.
    NodeMCU-boards start at $5. Not much either.

If you consider buying one add another $5 to buy a ESP32-board.
    The ESP32 is the successor of the ESP8266

best regards Stefan
  • @"Buck Rogers" - I have forgotten where that little power supply came from. I’ve had it for quite a while I believe. It may have come from tindie.com.

@StefanL38 - I have a few of the esp32 modules too. I just figured if I’m going to fry one I want it to be these old esp-01 modules. I bought them on eBay 5 or 6 years ago - just never got around to doing much with them. I’m pretty sure they are only the 4Mbit size. I’ll get to the ESP32s soon enough. And I just picked up a click board from the new Parallax store that has the WiFi+BLE on it - I think it’s the ESP32-WROOM-32.

Doc