Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
James Bruton: Out of Control — Parallax Forums

James Bruton: Out of Control

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
Wow, now I REALLY want to be this guy. He IS Tony Stark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=CAjgM_YpRww

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Even the embedded commercials are amazing!

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I watched it. Did not get any commercials :(

What a turbo chap he is anyway. Excellent work.
    You Brits are all in cahoots! :)
  • I hadn't seen that robot before.

Those linear actuators make from drills looked great.
  • LtechLtech Posts: 366
    edited 2017-03-16 07:57
    @erco

Mylene farmer French artist in 2013 already ....

Awesome video, thanks Ltech!
  • Awesome video, thanks Ltech!
    +1
    Jim
    edited 2017-06-27 17:30
    James continues to amaze with this life-size humanoid robot. IMO he's pushing the limits of strength vs weight of giant 3d printed gears for robot arms. Bigger means heavier means more more force & flexing means gear teeth slip & break means steel shafts & reinforcing... kind of a vicious circle. Still ultra cool.

I'm still looking at wood or bamboo rods for small/medium-sized bots. Cheap, light, strong, flexible. Duane likes popsicle sticks, Oddbot likes chopsticks.

"It's the wood that makes it good." Newman

• I subscribed to James' channel after you posted the earlier video.

I'm not convinced his 3D printed gears are the best option for some of the applications where he uses them but he sure makes some cool stuff.

He really makes me want to get back to making robots.

BTW, (as you likely know) the Popsicle sticks were more of a gimmick than an actual preferred building material. I agree wood is a great building material. Most of the wood used in my robots is in the form of plywood. The thin plywood made for model airplane builders is great stuff.

Bamboo should be a good material. I recall reading in National Geographic Magazine many years ago (probably around 30 years ago) about the many ways bamboo is used through out the world.

It's too bad there's not a lot (or any) bamboo growing in the wild here in Idaho. I know I've seen bamboo growing in southern California so maybe you can find a good source.

In case any of you haven't seen OddBot's Chopsticks robot, here it is:

Here's one of my favorite failures, a Popsicle stick hexapod:

I thought OddBot (Russell Cameron) did a great job showing how one can make amazing robots from simple materials.

You don't need fancy 3D printers or CNC machine tools to make really fun robots.

Man, I really want to get back to building robots (I think I said this already).

Fun stuff.
    Wild bamboo? What a concept. Actually, I'm more interested in these giant bamboo skewers that we get from Walmart to roast marshmallows on campouts. They're almost free at 88 cents a bag. 12 skewers, 32" long, diameter just under 0.200". Strong, flexible, dirt cheap. They beg to be used as dowels somewhere. I don't see these on walmart.com but they sell them in the camping aisle. I can't help but buy a bag every time I go there.

Yeah, now erco's hoarding bamboo too!

1920 x 2560 - 2M
  • erco wrote: »
    32" long

Wow! I hadn't seen those before. I'm going to keep my eyes open for those on my next visit to Walmart.

I agree, those just scream "ROBOT PARTS".

I can't think of a robotic application for the contraption Matt builds in the video below, but the skewers reminded me of this thing made from pencils.

The round skewers wouldn't work as well as hexagonal pencils but seeing the skewers made me think of the pencil contraption.

I thought you'd like to see it if you haven't already done so.

• xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2017-06-28 04:13
    I like the "new YouTube algorithm" or whatever it is that feeds me videos like this. Unfortunately, "Person that makes cool stuff" just doesn't work on search engines these days.
  • xanadu wrote: »
    I like the "new YouTube algorithm" or whatever it is that feeds me videos like this. Unfortunately, "Person that makes cool stuff" just doesn't work on search engines these days.

I'm just glad LeafyIsHere videos no longer show up in my recommended videos.

The number of flat Earth videos recommended to me has also decreased (for which I'm thankful).

• Oh dear. That chap looks and sounds like me (but less grumpy).