Friday Quiz #3 a little late ...

2»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    All from memory!

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2017-03-15 16:55
    Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, organ. With animated score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_2938942561&feature=iv&src_vid=ipzR9bhei_o&v=bOWi8tOf5FA

Or 10 year old version:

Play loud on a decent sound system.

I refuse to believe one can watch that score scroll by and honestly say it is boring. There is so much going on in there. It's a bit like saying Euler is boring.

Amusingly one of the first comments on there reads:

"I think it's safe to affirm that this is the first heavy metal song ever written."
  • Growing up in a German Lutheran tradition, I was steeped in Bach. "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" is part of my DNA. It's a big, powerful, showy piece that you really have to hear played on a large pipe organ to appreciate its majesty. Barring that, a good set of speakers cranked up to heavy-metal level will make the hair on your neck stand on end. Bach was a genius.

I picked "Invention No. 14" because of its connection to Parallax and because it was accessible to my young hands when I was learning to play the piano. It's actually fun to play and listen to, but I've gotten way out of practice over the years. I do wish Parallax would mix it up a little on their PBX, though.

-Phil
  • Sorry for that comment; "boring"... Never ment to hurt somone`s taste of music.
    Me to know that Bach was a genious composer and that if you gonna hear the pieces for what they`re worth, it has to be played on a huge pipe organ in a great room. But you know, I`m either not a fan of classic music and the little I`ve heard of it, is likely through the phone or other bad sounding systems. Then to me, it feels boring.

The PBX`s should had implemented a choise system like: "If you wanna wait, please choose your own <music-on-hold> by pressing : "1" for Classical, "2" for Rock, "3" for Country." and so on..
    "If you wanna play next song, press "#" . "If you instead want us to call you back, please leave your number and hang up".

Maybe this is a new business idea? Parallax, go on and hack your PBX and try it out. Make a Propeller powered "option box" for PBX`s....
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    No hurt here. Just, well, a bit sad. Like I said it's like someone saying Euler is boring.

I was put off classical music at school. Every morning at 9.00 am we had "assembly", as young ones we were expected to sit on the hard floor. So there you are, tired and miserable, another long day of school ahead, and they try to inspire you by playing some classical piece.

Of course it had the opposite effect. Like aversion therapy it made all the wrong associations in your mind, classical music = school.

Took me decades to recover from that ordeal and start to listen to things with an open mind. And happier associations.

I don't want any more options to think about on a PBX. I'm already annoyed enough because I'm not talking to a human and have to wait. White noise would do to show the line is still open and be less annoying than any music.

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-03-15 18:41
    The nun's where I went to school had no particular preference, I remember being taught an overview of Classical Music. But no matter what it was, it always turned to religious music at some point in the day.

It took the hiring of a lai teacher in the 5th grade, to let us bring in albums like GFR. ;)