Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Friday Quiz #3 a little late ... — Parallax Forums

Friday Quiz #3 a little late ...

.. to celebrate daylight savings time!

What piece is the following snippet taken from, who wrote it, and -- most importantly -- how does it relate to Parallax?

quiz_no_3.gif

-Phil

Comments

• Never heard that one before, thanks for giving me something new to play though. And I live in Az so no such thing as daylight savings, which is nothing to celebrate (you cut a foot off the bottom of the blanket sow it on the top and call the blanket longer, does not work).
  • you cut a foot off the bottom of the blanket sow it on the top and call the blanket longer, does not work
    Dave is referring to a Pat Oliphant political cartoon from the 1970s featuring Richard Nixon. I wish it were online, but I can't find it. (Dave, you're dating yourself, if you remember that one!)

Not being an early riser, I love daylight savings time. It really does add outdoors time to my day.

Now back to the contest. Anyone?

-Phil
  • Wild guess- is there a connection to one of Chip's Propeller sound (or more precisely Singing) demos?
  • It strikes my eye/ear as something by J. S. Bach.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Ah yes, "Propeller 2" suite by JS Bach's little-known half-cousin Chip.
  • Ding-Batty wrote:
    It strikes my eye/ear as something by J. S. Bach.
    Yes! That's the only correct answer so far. Now, what is the title and how is the piece connected to Parallax?

-Phil
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-03-14 03:45
    Wow, 172 views so far, and nobody's gotten it. So, for those who need an audible clue, attached is a MIDI file to listen to.

-Phil
  • BWV 1048
  • Maybe Parallax's "phone-on-hold" melody... :smile:
    edited 2017-03-14 05:32
    Sapphire wrote:
    BWV 1048
    Nope.
    LA6WNA wrote:
    Maybe Parallax's "phone-on-hold" melody...
    Yep! Ding, ding ding! We have a winner!

So, 'still waiting for the name (or BWV number) of the piece.

-Phil
  • How about "Sheep may safely graze"? Remember he was a liturgical composer first.
  • How about "Sheep may safely graze"?
    Nah!

-Phil
  • So, as I had such luck with my first guess, here is one more: "Toccata and Fugue" in D minor, BWV-565 for organ.
    One of the most known pieces of JSB. My guess is that great phone PBX makers would use it. Like AT&T, Alcatel so on..
    Wild guess...
    Or could it be "Air on a G-string"...? :innocent:
  • T&F? Nope. Air? Nope.

-Phil
  • invention no. 14 in B flat major . BMV 785
  • invention no. 14 in B flat major . BMV 785
    There is the winner!
    edited 2017-03-14 18:04
    Yes! Finally!

We have three winners:

Ding-Batty (Composer)
    Peter, LA6WNA (Connection to Parallax)
    Tracy Allen (Title)

You guys can share the ... uh ... prize glory.

Question for Peter, though: how did you know? Have you phoned Parallax from Norway and gotten put on hold?

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Man, that was like pulling teeth! Congrats to the winners. Now lets get back to our regularly scheduled hardware quizzes on drills, record adapters and Fahnestock clips!
  • you cut a foot off the bottom of the blanket sow it on the top and call the blanket longer, does not work
    Dave is referring to a Pat Oliphant political cartoon from the 1970s featuring Richard Nixon. I wish it were online, but I can't find it. (Dave, you're dating yourself, if you remember that one!)

Not being an early riser, I love daylight savings time. It really does add outdoors time to my day.

Now back to the contest. Anyone?

-Phil
    Ok now that the other is done:

No I am not quite that old, that is just a very common cartoon, and well known. I have even seen older references to the same idea, though that is another thing altogether.

• For my part, I downloaded a neat app called midiTrail from the Apple Appstore and played the tune. I asked Siri to identify it, but while she was listening, a guy who works for me and also teaches piano instantly recognized it as either invention 14 or 11, then Siri confirmed it as 14.

• Yes! Finally!

We have three winners:

Ding-Batty (Composer)
    Peter, LA6WNA (Connection to Parallax)
    Tracy Allen (Title)

You guys can share the ... uh ... prize glory.

Question for Peter, though: how did you know? Have you phoned Parallax from Norway and gotten put on hold?

-Phil
    Yes, I've called Parallax a couple of times, but I was 'nt put on hold. They talked to me instead..., good service.
    My guess of the answer at your quiz was grabbed out of the universe. The keyword that got me thinking about "phone on hold", was the name of the composer. Bach..., typical boring music that has to be packed in a PBX to reach out to all people who has to hear it either they want it or not....

Thanks alot for the prize, Phil.
    I'll take the glory and buy myself some fun stuff. :lol::lol::lol:
  • Can I submit a short quiz, and see if erco can name this elegant machine?
    1920 x 1080 - 806K
  • Kalinin K-7
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    Can I submit a short quiz, and see if erco can name this elegant machine?

How about there's an airbase named for its pilot?
  • Gosh -- I'd like to thank the Academy, and ...

Oh, wrong speech...

I've been traveling for the last few days, so I haven't gotten back to this, but once I decided on Bach I was pretty sure I'd have a hard time identifying the piece, since JS was very prolific. And I've never called Parallax. So I was pretty sure I wouldn't make more progress on it, but if I had time, I would have used a music-matching app the way Tracy did (although Tracy also used a music-matching friend as well :)
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-03-15 13:24
    erco wrote: »

You win, Phil has your round trip tickets for answering correctly.
    Can you imagine what it would be like sitting in this thing when those cannons go

Let us know, on your fabulous trip to sunny ?
    Top Secret

BTW: Your first class accommodation's entitle you to a hands on experience. They need help with some engine priming and cranks turned. Also, you have to collect your own ammo, from the store room in the landing gear.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2017-03-15 15:49
    LA6WNA,
    Bach..., typical boring music...
    I saddens me to see you say that.

There is nothing typical or boring about Bach.

I'm no great fan of classical music but Bach is up there with Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd to my ears.

Bach was a bit of a punk in his day. On one occasion he was having a bit of a competition with another organ player, when he had stretched the complexity of what he was playing as far as possible with both hands and feet on the hundreds of keys and pedals of a big church organ he won out by holding a stick in his teeth that he could use to play some extra notes.

Bach went all the way to 11 !

Of course hearing Bach over a PBX is hopeless. Sacrilege.

You need to find yourself a big old European Cathedral with a huge organ and hear how it is supposed to sound.
    ...packed in a PBX to reach out to all people who has to hear it either they want it or not...
    Hmm...you mean like all that bland rubbish we have to listen to in bars, shopping malls, taxis, every damn where, all the time.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    LA6WNA,

There is nothing typical or boring about Bach.

I'm no great fan of classical music but Bach is up there with Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd to my ears.

Bach was a bit of a punk in his day. On one occasion he was having a bit of a competition with another organ player, when he had stretched the complexity of what he was playing as far as possible with both hands and feet on the hundreds of keys and pedals of a big church organ he won out by holding a stick in his teeth that he could use to play some extra notes.

Bach went all the way to 11 !

Of course hearing Bach over a PBX is hopeless. Sacrilege.

You need to find yourself a big old European Cathedral with a huge organ and hear how it is supposed to sound.

+1