Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LED light bulbs have come of age - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

LED light bulbs have come of age

2»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Though do to local law there is a mains line coming in, I am just paying the $15 per month for it and not using it at all (it goes into an empty breaker box).

So what happens if you stop paying? They cut off the power, big deal. :)

• MikeDYur wrote: »
    Not sure I am seeing where you are coming from. I understand you say you are using a transformer, though beyond that. My source is 12 volt, so no transformer involved. In fact I am doing everything I can to reduce any kind of conversion losses. Not sure what the most reliable/efficient methods are yet, still a lot of experimenting to do.

And I have good reliable switching power supplies that were made in the mid 1980's, so I am not sure about them not being available 15 years ago?

@davidsaunders, are you totally off grid 100 percent? Disconnected. You know I remember not being around EMF's for over two weeks, and there is a relaxing feeling that comes over you. With all the frequency's flying around these days, not sure where you would go to find that anymore..

100% off grid, and yes the reduction in EMF around does give a relaxing feeling. Though do to local law there is a mains line coming in, I am just paying the $15 per month for it and not using it at all (it goes into an empty breaker box).

I am hoping the neighboring county does get us (they are trying to get this part of this county), as they do not have that dumb law. Then I will be able to even lose that unused mains source.

So there is no plan on selling kw?
  • erco wrote: »
    Though do to local law there is a mains line coming in, I am just paying the $15 per month for it and not using it at all (it goes into an empty breaker box).

So what happens if you stop paying? They cut off the power, big deal. :)

No they condemn my place, and I have to move.
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    Not sure I am seeing where you are coming from. I understand you say you are using a transformer, though beyond that. My source is 12 volt, so no transformer involved. In fact I am doing everything I can to reduce any kind of conversion losses. Not sure what the most reliable/efficient methods are yet, still a lot of experimenting to do.

And I have good reliable switching power supplies that were made in the mid 1980's, so I am not sure about them not being available 15 years ago?

@davidsaunders, are you totally off grid 100 percent? Disconnected. You know I remember not being around EMF's for over two weeks, and there is a relaxing feeling that comes over you. With all the frequency's flying around these days, not sure where you would go to find that anymore..

100% off grid, and yes the reduction in EMF around does give a relaxing feeling. Though do to local law there is a mains line coming in, I am just paying the $15 per month for it and not using it at all (it goes into an empty breaker box).

I am hoping the neighboring county does get us (they are trying to get this part of this county), as they do not have that dumb law. Then I will be able to even lose that unused mains source.

Not where I live. Here the power company would charge me for every KW/h that I gave them if I were to do a grid-tie, and they charge more for giving them power than for using there power..
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-03-14 14:25

Not where I live. Here the power company would charge me for every KW/h that I gave them if I were to do a grid-tie, and they charge more for giving them power than for using there power..

I bet your electric company has thugs that will come and drain your batteries for you.

And they don't have a plan to certify individual customers to connect and supply power into their grid system. But to force you to pay for just the access to electricity. They have a scam going with the politicians. Lining their pockets from revenue's on dead end connections. I guess it keeps tabs on vacant buildings that someone may decide to take up housekeeping in.

Or maybe your meter won't run backwards, a function that was never intended. Keeping a cap on the competition because, buying electricity is not what they are in business for.

No real freedom of choice.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »

I bet your electric company has thugs that will come and drain your batteries for you.
    It is not quite that bad. It is bad enough.
    And they don't have a plan to certify individual customers to connect and supply power into their grid system. But to force you to pay for just the access to electricity. They have a scam going with the politicians. Lining their pockets from revenue's on dead end connections. I guess it keeps tabs on vacant buildings that someone may decide to take up housekeeping in.
    They will certify a system for a grid tie, though they charge for everything that goes through it. Yes it is a case of coercing the politicians.

They get away with not doing the federal Solar incentive because most of there power comes from there solar plants, and the incentive is based on reducing the use of fossil fuels and such.
    Or maybe your meter won't run backwards, a function that was never intended. Keeping a cap on the competition because, buying electricity is not what they are in business for.

No real freedom of choice.
    Unfortunately. And the meter can be setup to run backwards with a grid tie, though they will charge for the power that goes onto the grid.

• Unfortunately. And the meter can be setup to run backwards with a grid tie, though they will charge for the power that goes onto the grid.

I guess the have not many people taking that road.

Mike
  • What do you know, light bulbs with a brain.

To be continued.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-03-22 20:34
    How about $40 dollars for a light bulb.

SmartFx bluetooth smart lighting, and it doesn't need a hub. I was worried about that.

or one that changes color for $50.

or visit this site, and be enlightened at how 10 of the top contenders stack up.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smart-led-light-bulbs/

When was the last time you were at PC Magazine? They do bulbs too.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2483488,00.asp

EDIT: Still looking for the news story that prompted the post above.

EDIT2: It wasn't a news story that prompted the post above, but a commercial. About household LED lightbulbs with built-in battery back-up.
    768 x 960 - 30K
    558 x 1000 - 47K
    630 x 420 - 90K

• I've stuck with Cree, usually can find some 4x/6x multipacks in the clearance for $15 sometimes for some reason. Not return stock either. Aside from Cree, Phillips would be my next bet.
    A little more pricey, however Cree is the world leader in LED's, and so far no issues and the CR is excellent.

I think you can get GE Reveal in LED now, which in incandescent are really nice in some locations.

For the garage I picked up a 2x48" FL bay for $10, and 2x48" LED bulbs for $15.
    Ended up with 4000 Lumens from a 4' FL fixture. Had actually bought a bunch of light receptacles and some ROMEX, but decided fewer 4' fixtures with shiny white reflectors was worth the extra cost/reduced effort.
    LED's are Unitron brand, but a very bright and not that ghastly CFL tint.
  • I have a nightlight side effect, when using neon illuminated switch, and an LED lamp together.

While the neon switch flickers, the LED lamp glows steady. The LED lamp is still getting power through the neon lamp.

Not sure if this will shorten the life of either one, but I can't see why it wouldn't. Just something to be aware of, in case this is something that will annoy you.
    1080 x 1920 - 1M
    1080 x 1920 - 550K