Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SimpleIDE WiFi - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

SimpleIDE WiFi

Comments

• We didn't expect anybody trying to use the SIP module with an Activity Board since there's already a socket.
    There are a lot of original Activity Boards out there, I think; somebody, like myself just might want try having an XBee module and a WiFi module going at the same time, if that is possible. For now, I was trying to figure out a quick way of quickly testing the WiFi sip module to see if it is functioning, or at least an LED turns on. Remember the box was squashed.

I forgot, I also had a compass module in the box, will have to figure out if that is working.

Ray
  • Rsadeika wrote: »
    We didn't expect anybody trying to use the SIP module with an Activity Board since there's already a socket.
    There are a lot of original Activity Boards out there, I think; somebody, like myself just might want try having an XBee module and a WiFi module going at the same time, if that is possible. For now, I was trying to figure out a quick way of quickly testing the WiFi sip module to see if it is functioning, or at least an LED turns on. Remember the box was squashed.

I forgot, I also had a compass module in the box, will have to figure out if that is working.

Ray
    I think the DIP module will work with the original ActivityBoard. It just won't be able to do wi-fi downloads.

• David Betz wrote: »
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    We didn't expect anybody trying to use the SIP module with an Activity Board since there's already a socket.

Ray
    I think the DIP module will work with the original ActivityBoard. It just won't be able to do wi-fi downloads.

Yup, tried that last night. Did not work. Can probably be breadboarded to work?

• Publison wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »

Ray

The WX didn't work at all? I think you should be able to talk to it if you wire the pins on the xbee header to Propeller pins and setup FDS on those pins.
  • If you use the bottom figure and wifi-start call on this page, everything except the programming over Wi-Fi shoold work.

http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/language/propeller-c/parallax-wx-wi-fi-module-prop-c/connect-wx-wi-fi-module-your
  • I went ahead and plugged the WiFi dip into WX board, and turned it on. I saw a blue and a green LED on the WiFi module, and some LEDs on the WX board, so I guess the WiFi dip module comes to life.

I also plugged the WiFi sip into the breadboard, 3.3V to power, and ground to ground, turned on the WX board and saw a blue LED, on the WiFi sip module come on, so I guess that module also comes too life.

I also did the four rapids on the reset button, with the WiFi dip module plugged in, I did see a new item with a yellow bar come up in the wireless window. I did not go to the browser part to update the firmware, will try that tomorrow.

Ray
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »

Ray

The WX didn't work at all? I think you should be able to talk to it if you wire the pins on the xbee header to Propeller pins and setup FDS on those pins.

To lazy to try that last night. Maybe tomorrow after I shovel snow. :)

I went ahead and plugged the WiFi dip into WX board, and turned it on. I saw a blue and a green LED on the WiFi module, and some LEDs on the WX board, so I guess the WiFi dip module comes to life.

I also plugged the WiFi sip into the breadboard, 3.3V to power, and ground to ground, turned on the WX board and saw a blue LED, on the WiFi sip module come on, so I guess that module also comes too life.

I also did the four rapids on the reset button, with the WiFi dip module plugged in, I did see a new item with a yellow bar come up in the wireless window. I did not go to the browser part to update the firmware, will try that tomorrow.

Ray

I would not update firmware. All the Wi-Fi modules I just got are up to date. Just go play will SimpleIDE,
  • edited 2017-02-09 03:38
    If you use the bottom figure and wifi-start call on this page, everything except the programming over Wi-Fi shoold work.

http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/language/propeller-c/parallax-wx-wi-fi-module-prop-c/connect-wx-wi-fi-module-your

I retested this, and it does work with the applications. There are two things that are typically done differently with non-WX activity Boards and the Wi-Fi module

(1) Non-WX Activity Boards are programmed only over USB, then the application runs through I/O pins connected to the Wi-Fi module's DO and DI pins. Make sure to change application example programs' wifi_start calls from wifi_start(31, 30, 115200, WX_ALL_COM) to wifi_start(9, 8, 115200, USB_PGM_TERM) or wifi_start(9, 8, 115200, USB_PGM), depending on whether you plan to send terminal messages over USB or Wi-Fi. Note: 9, 8 are just to match the wiring diagrams in the examples, you can change that to whatever pair of I/O pins fits your application the best.

(2) Non-WX activity boards do not support the four rapid press/releases of the RST button to put the module into station + access point (STA+AP) mode. The most common reason for doing this is when you configure your board to be a station (STA) on another network. If that network is no longer available (like when I take my Activity Board from home to office), you'll need a way to switch it to either STA+AP or AP mode before you can join the wx-###### module's Wi-Fi network and access its http://192.168.4.1 configuration page. I use one of two approaches:

A. A wire connected to the /PGM SIP pin/hole rapidly grounded and released 4x will do it.

B. Use SimpleIDE to open and run the "Leave a Network.side" project. It's in the firmware folder's /Examples/Propeller C/ folder.

With either approach, you'll be able to get back to the Wi-Fi module's configuration page at http://192.168.4.1 after connecting your device to the wx-###### module's Wi-Fi network.
  • If that network is no longer available (like when I take my Activity Board from home to office), you'll need a way to switch it to either STA+AP or AP mode before you can join the wx-###### module's Wi-Fi network and access its http://192.168.4.1 configuration page. I use one of two approaches:
    This might be getting ahead of myself, but, I have two WiFi hot spots, in my house, to give me max coverage. I get the impression that if I have, lets say, an Activity Bot move out of one hot zone to the next I will lose contact? Most of my WiFi devices seem to auto magically switch. This might be a problem for auto roaming Activity Bots that would try to phone home with new data.
    I would not update firmware. All the Wi-Fi modules I just got are up to date. Just go play will SimpleIDE,
    But that is part of instructions in the tutorial, am I reading the instructions incorrectly?

Ray
  • edited 2017-02-09 13:48
    The instructions should probably be modified to have the reader check the version and update if there's a newer package available. Parallax loads firmware as part of manufacturing, and currently, the package for download is the same as what's in your modules. So, as Publison mentioned, the over-the-air firmware update step can be skipped in your case. The procedure was written under the assumption that a module could be sitting on some store shelves for a while betore it gets purchased and used.
  • This is starting to hurt.

I am working with a Windows 7 desktop, and I have a USB WiFi dongle plugged in. In order to access the WiFi signal I have to switch out of the hard lan connection to WiFi and I get this when I try to run the "Hello World" application.
    Project Directory: E:/programs/simpleide/SimpleIDE/Propeller GCC Demos/hello/

SimpleIDE Version 1.1.0
    E:/programs/simpleide/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/
    E:/programs/simpleide/SimpleIDE/ Updated on: 2017-02-04

propeller-elf-gcc.exe -v GCC 4.6.1 (propellergcc_v1_0_0_2408)
    propeller-elf-gcc.exe -I . -L . -o hello.elf -Os -mlmm -fno-exceptions hello.c -ltiny -ltiny -ltiny
    propeller-load -s hello.elf
    propeller-elf-objdump -h hello.elf
    Done. Build Succeeded!

proploader.exe -r -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b c3 -i 192.168.4.1 hello.elf
    Opening file 'hello.elf'
    ERROR: Download failed: -1

Opening file 'hello.elf'
    ERROR: Download failed: -1
    I am not sure what the next step should be.

Ray
  • If programming through USB then SEL to GND.
  • ... and set to COM# in SimpleIDE.
  • ...and adjust wifi_start.
  • If programming over Wi-Fi, SEL to 3.3 V, Simple IDE COM to wx-######. It looks like a hello program, so wifi-start not needed in USB or Wi-Fi.
  • Andy got up early to answer this question. I was about to take some guesses that the COM port wasn't connected. Do we all realize how fortunate we are to have Andy here to answer these questions? This is the firmware/library/documentation/application person, all-in-one.

Ken Gracey
  • I fully appreciate that Andy got up real early to answer the question(s).

Now, I will go back to square one, and start again. For the people that are following this thread, I can only say that this is not a plug and play device. It is not even like the XBee module where you plug it in, connect up DI and DO, and you are off to the races. There is a lot more things that you have to do and be aware of.

I reiterate, this is not a plug and play scenario.

At least I know that my WiFi module is not damaged, just operator error at this point.

Ray

At least I know that my WiFi module is not damaged, just operator error at this point.

Ray

For my AB-WX and Wi-Fi module it was Plug-and-Play. No button resets, or firmware upgrades needed. Worked out of the box for "Hello World". I am using Windows 10 laptop with built in Wi-Fi, so it was a little easier.

• edited 2017-02-09 17:00
    I fully appreciate that Andy got up real early to answer the question(s).

Now, I will go back to square one, and start again. For the people that are following this thread, I can only say that this is not a plug and play device. It is not even like the XBee module where you plug it in, connect up DI and DO, and you are off to the races. There is a lot more things that you have to do and be aware of.

Ray

The problem is that people who get here from Google searches a year from now will still tend to bounce and shop elsewhere after they see this, even though by that time, it'll have more features that make it the kind of plug-and-play device with lots more immediate gratification.

...and frankly, I also think it is safe to say that the Parallax Wi-Fi module IS plug-and-play right now. You CAN just connect it, jumper SEL to 3.3 V, have your computer join it's network, and set the COM port to wx-######. Then, you're off to the races, programming and debugging wirelessly with SimpleIDE.

However, there's an additional world of advanced things you can do with it, and requests to use it with non-WX boards too. So, the current instructions guide the user through several additional steps at the beginning to keep all those options open.
  • I hope that I did not burn any bridges as I move forward. At this point my definition of plug and play is somewhat different from what the others have said. I am not even trying to imply anything shoddy with the Parallax products, after all I have been a customer for the last ten or eleven years.

I guess now I will just shut up and sit down.

Ray
  • edited 2017-02-09 19:01
    Just think positive Ray! :):):):)

Example:

"Hey, I just went through the first 6 pages of your Wi-Fi tutorial. I got stuck at these 3 spots... I think adding a comment here... rephrasing the nth instruction there... would make it more clear. And to make it more plug and play, I'll bet you could condense all that to a single page at the beginning. That would be a big improvement."

"Thanks Ray, we'll make those adjustments. ..and great idea about the single page! We'll definitely do that."

Roughly the same info, but beneficial all around. It draws the reader in, benefits the product, takes less time, sometimes makes folks search for other posts by you, and various other ripples. It's a spirit in which the open source community flourishes.
  • Moving forward, I tried a couple of experiments. First, I wanted to try out programming over WiFi.

Below is the program that I am using. I started with a jumper wire between SEL and 3.3V, with the USB connected. The board started up and everything works as advertised. The only minor problem is that on the desk top you have to keep switching over to WiFi, in order to pick up the Parallax WiFi. And of course there is that hesitation before you make the connection, so you have to make sure that you are really connected before you move on. After that, in my case WX-DB9A96 shows up in the SimpleIDE port selection, you click that and you are off to the races.

The next test, I disconnected the USB and plugged in the Li-ion Power Pak, turned on the AB WX and waited for the signal(s) to show up, hit the terminal icon in SimpleIDE to run the program, and everything worked as expected.

The final test, I moved the platform to my other hot spot, turned on the AB WX, and went back to the desk top, looked for the WiFi signal, and it could not be found. I guess I will have to change the mode setting on the Parallax WiFi to STA+AB, I think, in order to have the WiFi show up on my desk top.

Now I have to figure out how to replicate this using the WiFi sip module. At least I am confident that those two items survived the crushed box.

Ray

/*
      progwifi.c
      Feb 9, 2017 
    */
    #include "simpletools.h" 

int main()
    {
      // Add startup code here.

print("Hello World\n");
      while(1)
      {
        // Add main loop code here.

}  
    }

• edited 2017-02-09 21:03
    Thanks for the updates Ray.

If the Wi-Fi module and your computer have both joined the same Wi-Fi network (like your home Wi-Fi), you can still program the propeller with SimpleIDE. In fact, do that for optimal performance.

Even though you cannot see it in the networks list any more (in STA mode), it will still appear in the SimpleIDE COM port dropdown. Once your Wi-Fi module is on another network, make sure to keep it in STA mode. It works better for everything and keeps the host network more secure than STA+AP.

P.S. To put your Wi-Fi module and computer on another network, see:
    http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/language/propeller-c/parallax-wx-wi-fi-module-prop-c/join-another-wi-fi-network
  • For the next experiment I tried to make some progress with the WiFi sip module, experiment is a failure.

I am using the AB WX breadboard where I have the WiFi sip module pins Pwr, Gnd, DI, and DO, plugged to the appropriate places. When I turn on the AB WX board, the USB is not plugged in, using just the power, SimpleIDE finds the WiFi in the ports selection, but is not able to download.

I tried all three wifi_start selections, with the last one being USB_PGM, none of them worked. So there must be something else that I am missing.

Ray
    /*
      progwifi.c
      Feb 9, 2017 
    */
    #include "simpletools.h" 
    #include "wifi.h"

int main()
    {
    /*           DI DO                 */
    wifi_start(8, 7, 115200,USB_PGM);

print("Hello World\n");
      while(1)
      {

}  
    }

• edited 2017-02-09 22:38
    That's just the way it works (not a test fail). The Wi-Fi module is designed to be a programming/terminal conduit in a WX board socket. It can still be part of a Wi-Fi applications and even support terminal communication when it's connected to a couple I/O pins.

The SEL socket on the WX board switches the Propeller P31/P30 programming debugging connections between USB and Wi-Fi. When you plug it into a breadbaord, there isn't a P31/P30 connection.

That is documented here:

...and here:

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/parallax-wx-esp8266-wi-fi-module-product-guide

P.S. It's true that there was an application that programmed the Propeller through an XBee over I/O a while back. I'm sure it will eventually get run through spin2cpp. Supporting that was difficult because it consumed a cog and had to be integrated to every program the user runs. If it's not integrated into every program, the programming connection is lost and it has to be switched back to USB.
  • edited 2017-02-09 22:52
    If you want to see SimpleIDE Terminal messages, you can:

[li] Use wifi_start(...USB_PGM) and load into EEPROM.
    [li] Change the COM port to wx-######
    [li] Click Program -> Open Terminal.
    [li] Press/release the RST button on the Activity Board.

In Windows, it's also easy to open a second instance of SimpleIDE and let the terminal sit open. In the other instance of SimpleIDE, you can keep that set to the COM port and just keep programming over USB.
    For the next experiment I tried to make some progress with the WiFi sip module, experiment is a failure.

I am using the AB WX breadboard where I have the WiFi sip module pins Pwr, Gnd, DI, and DO, plugged to the appropriate places. When I turn on the AB WX board, the USB is not plugged in, using just the power, SimpleIDE finds the WiFi in the ports selection, but is not able to download.

I tried all three wifi_start selections, with the last one being USB_PGM, none of them worked. So there must be something else that I am missing.

Ray
    /*
      progwifi.c
      Feb 9, 2017 
    */
    #include "simpletools.h" 
    #include "wifi.h"

int main()
    {
    /*           DI DO                 */
    wifi_start(8, 7, 115200,USB_PGM);

print("Hello World\n");
      while(1)
      {

}  
    }

You can't download code to the Propeller over wi-fi unless you use the DIP module plugged into an ActivityBoard WX. The loader needs to be talking to P31/30.

• Ah yes I forgot about that. Since the QuickStart board has all the pins available maybe I would have better luck with that board. That board might be a little more fun, you could probably write some html code to work the eight LEDs and maybe even the buttons. I will have to give that some thought.

Ray
    Ah yes I forgot about that. Since the QuickStart board has all the pins available maybe I would have better luck with that board. That board might be a little more fun, you could probably write some html code to work the eight LEDs and maybe even the buttons. I will have to give that some thought.

Ray
    Yes, that should work as long as you hook up the reset pin as well.