Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TEMPER Robot Update: - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

TEMPER Robot Update:

Comments

• @KMyers,

Thank You Very Much Sir.

I'm not done yet, I gotta get my I2Cs in order, then it all has to work together. ;)

Then I need a little work on the recieving end.

Again Thanks.

Mike Y.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-11-19 02:37
    Plan B in the works, since my RXM-SG GPS POOPED. Temporary going to a PMB-648, and see if it servives XBee transmission. Thinking my Xbee tranmitter caused my GPS reciever to overload.

I'll get this right yet.

EDIT: I meant my sentence structure.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/165501/gps-died-could-xbee-s-x-mit-power-have-killed-it#latest

Will post some pictures of the contingency plan later.
    edited 2016-11-19 04:18
    MikeDYur wrote: »

Will post some pictures of the contingency plan later.

Here is what I came up with.

I plan to do the same on the other side.

Mike Y.
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    3264 x 2448 - 1016K
  • Wasn't too bad of a transition to the PMB-648, it's only a temporary solution anyway. Got to support the other end now, plus a couple of others. And wouldn't hurt to strap in the XBee.
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    KMyers wrote: »
    Very nice construction, you should be very proud!!

+1, I'm loving that cubic PCB look.

• I Thank you very much Eric, and again to Mr. Myers.

I am truly honored.

I had to cut a couple of female headers -1 this morning, running out of parts.

Here's a shot of an overlay board I'm working on. It will support the XBee and give me some conduit, plus in the tradition of these forums and the Propeller, an RGB lightbar.

Mike Y.
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    Makes me think about an electronic Rubik's Cube which makes different circuit connections as it gets spun about various axes...

Matt G, can you get on this for Christmas?
  • Just a hair to close, a little closer XBee rework will need to be done.
    3264 x 1836 - 2M
  • No PCB rework nessisary, I moved the power supply back .5". Had the room to spare luckily, I was saving space for a camera mount, and I can still get that in. Trying to lower the XBee socket may have been impossible without messing something up.
    I drilled two new holes in the platform, and filled two, with a little trick my grandfather taught me. White Elmers glue mixed with fine sawdust (in my case red ceder), makes the best wood filler. Some shrinkage after drying, just make a little more. It sets up harder than the wood itself, it's permanent and sands to a smooth finish.

edited 2016-11-23 00:03
    Moving the power supply back a half an inch kinda evened things out. I didnt want to move the MC, because the accelerometer is nearly physically centered. Planning to mount the FPV vertically, will save some space if I can get most of the wire clutter below. There is room up top for external GPS and antenna, if I go that route. Haven't tried the radio and GPS yet, I want to see if the compass likes having a circuit board over it.

Mike Y.
    3264 x 1836 - 1M
    3264 x 1836 - 1M
    edited 2016-11-29 17:22
    Sorry to anyone hoping to see an outdoor video soon, like I promised. When drilling holes for the stainless steel pins, one of the pilot holes drifted on me, and trying to correct using sequentially larger bits, gave me a pin at an off angle. After plugging the hole with a hardwood dowel "a.k.a. "bamboo toothpick", and re-painting the whole platform, I'm going to drill it again. It takes a week for the paint to cure properly (Krylon), that is why I painted before drilling.

BTW: Thanks to Mr. Chris Savage of Parallax Engineering dept. for his kind offer of replacing my RXM-SG GPS, after mine had pooped. I hope I can still take him up on the offer someday, when I can get a substantial order together.
    I really liked that GPS for a number of reasons. Mainly because of it's sensitivity, and just because I got comfortable with using it.

Mike Y.
    2976 x 2976 - 1M
    edited 2016-12-01 20:09
    Chris is the coolest, as are you, Mike!

What a great bunch of guys (and girls, Carol, Amanda and Holly) who make up this forum. God bless us, every one.

OT: Not that I need or have time for another side robot project, but I just picked up a laundry basket at the Dollar Tree for well, a dollar. It's ridiculous big and simply begs to be made into a robot. That open grid structure kinda looks like high-tech wireframe. Would be better if the plastic glowed in the dark or fluoresced. Needs motors and wheels and lots of blinkies and spinnies, obviously.

Wait, haven't I done this already? Where am I? What place is this?

• erco wrote: »
    It's ridiculous big and simply begs to be made into a robot.

I'm beginning to think there are no inanimate objects safe around you, from being turned into a robot.

That laundry basket idea may catch on, my wife uses me to carry the heavy ones.
  • I got back into working on this project again, and this is what I came up with to try to protect my XBee. As soon as I can find some washers that fit it, it looks like it will protect the pins in case of something hitting the antenna.
    If someone has any reasons why this wouldn't work, I wish they would let me know. I certainly don't want to act like I know someone or something, that I really don't. I try to avoid people like that. So if I come off like I have known you personally for years, that's just me. Constructive criticism doesn't bother me, what does, is somebody that waits for me to fall flat on my face.
    I hope I have created a chassis that is expandable, the size is as big as I want to get. But will provide enough room for additional sensors, and to be able to work on the different components.
    2674 x 1512 - 638K
  • One thing is for sure, that's the cleanest perfboard work ever.

Do you mean work or not work in regard to antenna proximity to the GPS?
  • Thank you very much Jon, much appreciated.

I ment the whole business in general.
    I'm the one who welded this thing up, and the only one that can give it a test drive. I still haven't tried this GPS and the XBee together yet, but there is always plan B.

Clean boards require a clean space for assembly, as in this photo of my wife and I preparing lunch together, bet you cant find a dirty dish in the sink. :lol:

Mike
    280 x 214 - 12K
    edited 2017-01-12 14:10
    I thought I would post an an old video, pre- Propeller control, but a BS2.

What was Christmas shopping back in the day, without parallel parking.

No sensors, just the BS2 sending serial info to the PSCU, plus sound effects.

Dated January 2014.
    edited 2017-01-10 14:22
    This is another early video, testing the ping sensor outdoors. Insufficient battery pack was runnning low.

Almost set to do something new.

Edited for length.
    Dated July 2015.
    edited 2017-01-10 14:23
    Here is another BS2-Ping test, avoiding obstacles on a table.

Dated August 2012.
  • That's awesome. It looks like you can choose between the steering servo, or skid steering with the servos?
    edited 2017-04-09 00:21
    That's awesome. It looks like you can choose between the steering servo, or skid steering with the servos?

Thanks Jon, One of these days I'm going to place an order with Parallax, and get a wheel encoder kit. So I would be able to detect slipping. It could adjust the servo's accordingly. Weather it would It would be useful or not, it would be fun to play with.

Everyone:

Hi, I just wanted to take the chance to do a little SSP, and post a couple of pictures. I know I should have had an outdoor video to post already, and I'm going to have one soon.

Most of the delay has been weather related lately, though it started from not being able to find parts. And not needing enough parts to make a decent order.

Our lawn mower broke a belt early last fall, it also needed other work. So I put off the yard till now, and it should be tough to get through with the robot. But I'm going to give it a try as soon as the weather gets a little nicer.

I made the mistake of trying to keep up with falling branches over the winter, but there are still plenty to deal with. And another storm is probably not far away.

Mike
    2206 x 1494 - 679K
    3662 x 2834 - 2M
  • I'm looking forward to the video. It looks highly maneuverable.
    edited 2017-04-09 14:11
    xanadu wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the video. It looks highly maneuverable.

I wanted to do video all in one take, instead I'm going to do it in short clips, jumping from one challenge to another. Rather than a lot of time running through the grass.

One thing that has plagued me was, that I didn't leave any room for a camera mount. But I am work on an idea of a removable "A" frame, overhanging the rear wheels. So it will show the front of the robot, and give some perspective on its surroundings.

Today is going to be a nice day here (60's +), and the wife is visiting her mother. So I'm going to see what I can get accomplished.

Though I may hold off posting anything, as I don't want to detract any attention away from the great progress Jon has made on his rover. I'll leave it in limbo till I hear if he has any thoughts on it. After all he is responsible for getting me interested in my project again.

Mike
  • Haha thanks. We can split the fame. I think a custom built robot takes the cake, Mike. Mine won't have much cool factor until we release it in the wild. For now it's just a big toy.

Are you working on GPS navigation?
    edited 2017-04-09 16:47
    Are you working on GPS navigation?

No, I am close to having working auto-pilot, but then I bricked my RXM-SG, I hadn't been worried about it, I liked it's resolution.
    I'm not to concerned about it now, I want to take advantage of night vision, as we do not have neighbors across the road at the moment.
    That is one thing I'm going to be doing, is looking for moles in the middle of the night. Right now all I can do is get the shovel, but i'm going to to have to rig something up, if anyone is going to get any sleep here.
    Temper looks awesome! Rear axle pivots? And I forget, you have Ackerman angle figured into your steering linkage?
    edited 2017-04-09 22:39
    erco wrote: »
    Temper looks awesome! Rear axle pivots? And I forget, you have Ackerman angle figured into your steering linkage?

No Ackerman, the more angle the more of a turning radius.

BTW: Thanks

After some minor wiring changes, and back tracking on firmware. My changes the last time I worked on it, didn't run very good.

My first outdoor test went so so, I would give it a high score on durability. But maybe I should pay more attention to obstacle avoidance. At least I know now that I need some skids on the frame. I popped the steering linkage once, but it just takes a second to put back on.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Apologies for the audio, I guess the camera lanyard was blowing In the breeze.

Mike Y.

• That went really well, better than a lot of the $$$ RC chassis do.
    edited 2017-04-10 17:48
    Thanks, it may help if I didn't have to control it like this, my next step is to finally get this in a cabinet. I have a composite monitor I want to include.

EDIT: That picture sure turned out weird.
    That went really well, better than a lot of the $$$ RC chassis do.

+1, bravo Temper!