Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TACHYON O/S V3.0 JUNO - Furiously Fast Forth, FAT32+LAN+VGA+RS485+OBEX ROMS+FP+LMM+++ - Page 101 — Parallax Forums

TACHYON O/S V3.0 JUNO - Furiously Fast Forth, FAT32+LAN+VGA+RS485+OBEX ROMS+FP+LMM+++

Comments

• D.PD.P Posts: 790
    edited 2016-09-29 15:34
    Fantastic.

Async Serial from "sensors" I use has always been an issue for me parsing with Tachyon. Lines come in with " " " and "," and " " and LF and CR/LF delimiters around AT style control words. Anything that helps us create "dispatch" words to handle this IO is greatly appreciated. And documentation/examples for the new words in Tachyon is also greatly welcome. Still grinding through the Tachyon intro for V3 updates.
  • I will have to see exactly what is going on here ... but it looks very cool.

Peter, what does TF do when a cog is running in the background and a new bit of source code is downloaded that affects that cog? Should I explicitly STOP the cog first? I am starting to see strange behaviour, and coupled with my troubles using PropellerIDE (inconsistent transfers of the kernel) I am getting messed up. Sometimes it looks like the whole system is bricked. It sometimes responds to a ?BACKUP with the word FAIL followed by a counter of some sort and the spinning symbol. I see the EXTEND code that triggers this, but not sure why the EEPROM would be failing the ack unless it is colliding with a background cog running I2C ... I thought that collisions were avoided in the I2C codes.
  • Hi Paul,

When you BACKUP the state of the "machine" is saved including running cogs. I've had various issues running multiple cogs and I2C. What I do is use different I2C pins for each cog. If you look at the code in EXTEND.fth the "?I2C" word tests for a busy bus, this is not foolproof for concurrent cogs accessing the same pins hence why I use separate pins for each cog. Also some devices just don't play well on the same bus no matter what the datasheets say!

Bricked or strange behavior is a symptom of something having gone bad in the stack, I know this well. Peter showed this trick for stack debugging to at least make you get DEADBEEF in and out of you routines and overall system.
    pub !!SP		!SP $DEADBEEF ;	--- Init the datastack but leave a $DEADBEEF marker on it for stack debug

At the end of your system/word running check to make sure $DEADBEEF is the only thing left.

• Yes, I often put a sequence of 1 2 3 4 5 on the stack then watch it go. Works well.

When you use multiple I2C buses do you set the I2C pins back to the EEPROM defaults after using them? I have an analog I/O board that has 2 I2C buses because the chips are fixed addresses (need two boards on the project), and I did this for safety. Not sure if needed.
  • Yes I set them back as a habit to EEPROM when I'm not accessing the bus.

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-09-30 02:34
    I will have to see exactly what is going on here ... but it looks very cool.

Peter, what does TF do when a cog is running in the background and a new bit of source code is downloaded that affects that cog? Should I explicitly STOP the cog first? I am starting to see strange behaviour, and coupled with my troubles using PropellerIDE (inconsistent transfers of the kernel) I am getting messed up. Sometimes it looks like the whole system is bricked. It sometimes responds to a ?BACKUP with the word FAIL followed by a counter of some sort and the spinning symbol. I see the EXTEND code that triggers this, but not sure why the EEPROM would be failing the ack unless it is colliding with a background cog running I2C ... I thought that collisions were avoided in the I2C codes.

While we can download new code with an app running and then get it to run that, we can't replace running code, we need to stop the app and then restart it. There's also some caveats with running BACKUP and that usually requires that an app isn't running. Why? Because it may have initialized certain variables and cogs and the app may not always start up properly unless we are careful in our initialization. For instance, I have the "boot" variable which is loaded with a random number on every boot so that an app can tell if it has been restarted by comparing a copy of the last boot value with the current one, but only if the app explicitly does this.

Recommended backup procedure is to do so with everything stopped, so I normally disable autostart, perhaps even with a ^A after a reset to abort the autostart. Then I load the new code followed by BACKUP.

edited 2016-10-06 07:25
    While doing some work on a datalogger I decided to mount one of those Nokia 5110 LCDs as well and so I have added that code to the Tachyon extras folder. Although you can specify new pins very simply at runtime I have elected to share the clock and data with the I2C lines so that I only need D/C and CE although I do have a method that generates the D/C signal from the data line through a resistor using RC charge hold so that in reality if you use the I2C lines then you only need a CE but I will tidy up this mode later. The reset is tied to the Prop reset to simplify it even further.

Although I have a 5x7 font table I have also allowed for 32 programmable characters rather than trimming and offsetting the table. Perhaps I will add some simple graphics and scaled fonts too, much as I do with VGA. The driver is of course driven as a simple revectorable output device so that LCD $0C EMIT PRINT" HELLO WORLD" CR will produce the desired effect as you would expect on any terminal.
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    While doing some work on a datalogger I decided to mount one of those Nokia 5110 LCDs as well and so I have added that code to the Tachyon extras folder. Although you can specify new pins very simply at runtime I have elected to share the clock and data with the I2C lines so that I only need D/C and CE although I do have a method that generates the D/C signal from the data line through a resistor using RC charge hold so that in reality if you use the I2C lines then you only need a CE but I will tidy up this mode later. The reset is tied to the Prop reset to simplify it even further.

Although I have a 5x7 font table I have also allowed for 32 programmable characters rather than trimming and offsetting the table. Perhaps I will add some simple graphics and scaled fonts too, much as I do with VGA. The driver is of course driven as a simple revectorable output device so that LCD $0C EMIT PRINT" HELLO WORLD" CR will produce the desired effect as you would expect on any terminal.

great, thanks - I am sure I have a few of those in the box
  • Here's the LCD mounted with a Prop and keypad etc. BTW, I wanted a connector on the keypad but I didn't want it sitting high off the board so I used a right-angle pin on the keypad and slide it horizontally into a right angle socket (bent one of my stacker sockets) so it can be unplugged but won't just fall off and it's low-profile.
    873 x 1161 - 209K
    LCD.JPG 208.6K
  • Hi there,
    I was tired of setting the newline delay in minicom manually so this patched version of the amd64 debian minicom-2.7 package came to life to load the nl_delay parameter from the config file.
    In the tgz you'll find the deb and a small documentation.

Best regards,
    proplem
  • @Peter,

my efforts to build a tachyon image via Makefile are so far successful as they can.

Making a complete build for the IoT5500 is now made like this:
    make iot5500

The generated build looks like this:
    /usr/local/bin/bstc.linux -p 2 "./Tachyon V3.0 JUNO.spin"
    Found a USB Serial Device
    Brads Spin Tool Compiler v0.15.3 - Copyright 2008,2009 All rights reserved
    Compiled for i386 Linux at 08:17:46 on 2009/07/20
    Loading Object Tachyon V3.0 JUNO
    Program size is 32656 longs
    Compiled 4181 Lines of Code in 0.144 Seconds
    We found a Propeller Version 1
    Propeller Load took 11.466 Seconds
    sleep 6
    ascii-xfr -s -l 20  EXTEND.FTH > /dev/ttyUSB0
    ASCII upload of "EXTEND.FTH"
    Line delay: 20 ms, character delay 0 ms

sleep 6
    ascii-xfr -s -l 20  ./more/hardware_headers/P8.FTH > /dev/ttyUSB0
    ASCII upload of "./more/hardware_headers/P8.FTH"

sleep 6
    ascii-xfr -s -l 20  EASYFILE.FTH > /dev/ttyUSB0
    ASCII upload of "EASYFILE.FTH"

sleep 6
    echo "COMPACT" > /dev/ttyUSB0
    sleep 35
    echo "BACKUP" > /dev/ttyUSB0
    sleep 10
    ascii-xfr -s -l 20  EASYNET.FTH > /dev/ttyUSB0
    ASCII upload of "EASYNET.FTH"

sleep 6

The build process lasts
    make iot5500  0.33s user 0.34s system 0% cpu 3:55.67 total

without any manual interventions. Currently there are still a lot of sleeps that should be removed, but the build is now safely working.

There is one thing braking me a little bit: you are using whitespace in file names, this is one of the few things Makefiles are not able to handle correctly. If you'd remove them I could share the Makefile here.

Regards,
    proplem
  • @D.P. Have you tried setting the delimiter to a comma? See AVAR in EXTEND for an example of this. That way your message would come back as
    +CMTI: "SM" 7
    to which I would define "SM" perhaps as a constant and +CMTI: as a deferred execution word so that at the end of the line it will execute its deferred word with two parameters, the constant for "SM" and location 7.

+CMTI: pushes a vector onto a deferred execution stack and your ATCOMS word which is automatically executed before the next line with ' ATCOMS prompt W! can read that stack and call the vector, nice and simple.

EDIT: coming to think of it I have a substitution table for the control keys built into JUNO so I think if I extended it for all 128 codes it could simply substitute a space for a comma etc. Along with deferred execution this is another solution. Even the " codes could be replaced with a space.

I was to replace the comma via the AVAR example but I'm just not sure how I would read my async buffer into ukey and setup the defer execution of the +CMTI: word? This is the magic guts of revectoring ukey that I haven't explored.

FONA.fth is using a task to RX from the module into a 256 byte circular buffer so I should use this task to also do the processing of the buffer contents via it's ukey?

edited 2016-10-07 09:38
    I've just added KEYPAD.FTH for scanning small 4x4 or 4x3 keypads using the background timer (no extra cogs).
    The encoder scans, debounces, encodes, and buffers the keys while timing an optional piezo buzzer.
    You can even change the encoder table at runtime by treating the keycodes table as a string like this:
    " 147*2580369#ABCD" keycodes $!  ok
    keycodes QD
    0000_3F38:   31 34 37 2A  32 35 38 30   33 36 39 23  41 42 43 44   147*2580369#ABCD
    0000_3F48:   00 BA 3F 03  7D 2B 7D C1   48 8C BA 3F  03 7D C1 48   ..?.}+}.H..?.}.H ok
    keycodes PRINT$ 147*2580369#ABCD ok

To change the group of pins that the keypad is connected to just overwrite the constant:
    #P16 ' *keypad 1+ !

Same with the piezo using *beep but if you want to disable it just set it to >31.
  • I've got PropellerIDE to send the kernel over again ... probably a glitch unrelated to the board etc. Then sent over EXTEND.fth.
    The last line of the EXTEND load seems odd, and the stack has 2 longs that seem to be a new behaviour. Manual BACKUP seemed to go fine. When I reset the board the stack is clear, but it detects no ROMS, which is OK because I don't use them yet, but I thought it reported several previously.
    Am I screwing something up here? My only tweak to EXTEND was to enable PBASIC Serial IO, but that was long ago.
    2704    EXTEND.bootILD DATE 160804:180000   BOOTS:  0   runtime 0230

18:00:00  End of source code, 2705 lines processed and 0000 errors found
    Load time = 0.000us
    MODULES LOADED:
    1800: EXTEND.fth          Primary extensions to TACHYON kernel - 160828-1400

VER:    Propeller .:.:--TACHYON--:.:. Forth V3.0 JUNO 300160819.2230
    PCB:    UNKNOWN (0)
    FREQ:   80MHZ (PLLEN OSCEN XTAL1  PLL16X)
    NAMES:  $5ABD...74DC for 6,687 bytes (+4,046)
    CODE:   $0930...3879 for 12,105 bytes (+8,313)
    RAM:    8,772 bytes free
    BUILD:  FIRMWARE BUILD DATE 160804:180000   BOOTS:  0   runtime 0
    BOOT:   EXTEND.boot ok
      ok
      ok
    ?BACKUP DATE@ build.date E! TIME@ build.time E!  ok  ************************* seems odd ************************
      ok
      ok
      ok
      ok
    BACKUP  ok
      ok
    .s  Data Stack (2) *************************************************************** seems odd ************************
    $0007.1E99 - 466585
    $0007.1E99 - 466585 ok
      Propeller .:.:--TACHYON--:.:. Forth V3.0 JUNO 300160819.2230

VER:    Propeller .:.:--TACHYON--:.:. Forth V3.0 JUNO 300160819.2230
    PCB:    UNKNOWN (0)
    FREQ:   80MHZ (PLLEN OSCEN XTAL1  PLL16X)
    NAMES:  $5ABD...74DC for 6,687 bytes (+4,046)
    CODE:   $0930...3879 for 12,105 bytes (+8,313)
    RAM:    8,772 bytes free
    BUILD:  FIRMWARE BUILD DATE 160804:180000   BOOTS:  0   runtime 38
    BOOT:   EXTEND.boot
    MODULES LOADED:
    1800: EXTEND.fth          Primary extensions to TACHYON kernel - 160828-1400
    NO ROMS ********************************************************************** seems odd *******************************
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
      ok
    .s  Data Stack (0) ok

• PaulRowntreePaulRowntree Posts: 150
    edited 2016-10-09 01:56
    I think I may have stumbled onto a small problem with variable/code alignment. I am running TF Forth V3.0 JUNO 300160819.2230

In the section of code shown here, I can run the SET_C, SET_COURSE routines from console with no problems. Once I launch 4 cogs to do background work, then running SET_C from the console resets the TF interpreter, I get the screen of status info, and I am back running. The next routine SET_COURSE works always, but as you can see, it is identical code. SET_C also fails when called from within a cog. The problem seems to be only in the first code definition immediately after the myNum$ definition.
    12 LONGS PID1	--- response based on error between desired and actual course; 12 is found as PIDsize in code to follow
    12 LONGS PID2	--- response based on rolling of boat measured by gyro

15 BYTES myNUM$

-75 Deviation !

pub SET_C ( course -- )
    	36000 + 3600 MOD Course ! ;

pub SET_COURSE ( course -- )		--- ensures course is between 0 and 3600 in tenths of degree

When I change the definition of myNum$ to be 16 bytes instead of 15, it always works, SET_C and SET_COURSE have the same behaviour regardless of the background cog execution. They work from within a cog.
    12 LONGS PID1	--- response based on error between desired and actual course; 12 is found as PIDsize in code to follow

16 BYTES myNUM$

-75 Deviation !

pub SET_C ( course -- )

pub SET_COURSE ( course -- )		--- ensures course is between 0 and 3600 in tenths of degree

BTW ... I have no idea why I tried 15 in the first version ...
    Cheers!
    edited 2016-10-09 03:19
    I think I may have stumbled onto a small problem with variable/code alignment. I am running TF Forth V3.0 JUNO 300160819.2230

In the section of code shown here, I can run the SET_C, SET_COURSE routines from console with no problems. Once I launch 4 cogs to do background work, then running SET_C from the console resets the TF interpreter, I get the screen of status info, and I am back running. The next routine SET_COURSE works always, but as you can see, it is identical code. SET_C also fails when called from within a cog. The problem seems to be only in the first code definition immediately after the myNum$ definition.

15 BYTES myNUM$

-75 Deviation !

pub SET_C ( course -- )

When I change the definition of myNum$ to be 16 bytes instead of 15, it always works, SET_C and SET_COURSE have the same behaviour regardless of the background cog execution. They work from within a cog.
    BTW ... I have no idea why I tried 15 in the first version ...
    Cheers!

Where the data area of myNUM$ ends the start of SET_C begins so if you write a string it must be less than 15 bytes long as all strings must have a null terminator. So trying to write a 15-byte string will end up writing a null to the first code byte in SET_C, thus corrupting it with a "reset" bytecode.
  • I've got PropellerIDE to send the kernel over again ... probably a glitch unrelated to the board etc. Then sent over EXTEND.fth.
    The last line of the EXTEND load seems odd, and the stack has 2 longs that seem to be a new behaviour. Manual BACKUP seemed to go fine. When I reset the board the stack is clear, but it detects no ROMS, which is OK because I don't use them yet, but I thought it reported several previously.
    Am I screwing something up here? My only tweak to EXTEND was to enable PBASIC Serial IO, but that was long ago.

The ROMs are moved from hub RAM near the end of EXTEND when SAVEROMS is executed (then forgotten) but only if an EEPROM larger than 32k is detected.
    During the course of loading EXTEND it also detects the type of RTC using SELRTC (which is also forgotten) and uses that timestamp for the build info.

• will end up writing a null to the first code byte in SET_C, thus corrupting it with a "reset" bytecode.
    Well it is pretty obvious when you put it that way! :)
    So is ERASE$ an unusual string routine, in that it checks the length of the buffer from the header?
    Thanks Peter!

• ERASE$ has a bug in that the 3 - should now be 2- although I can see that this scheme is a bit obsolete and needs to have something better to mark the end of string space after a terminator. Perhaps I will just create strings with $FF after the terminator so that a " HELLO WORLD" would have this appearance:
    " HELLO WORLD" QD 
    0000_406A:   48 45 4C 4C  4F 20 57 4F   52 4C 44 00  FF C2 AF 10   HELLO WORLD.....
    0000_407A:   10 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   ................ ok

So that any operation such as ERASE$ or even $! (COPY$) can make sure they don't overflow.
  • PaulRowntreePaulRowntree Posts: 150
    edited 2016-10-09 14:51
    Why not just use the max length information from the header information?
    As it turns out my current app uses $F0-$FF within strings being send out and received from devices. For the same reason you want to use them ... they don't look like normal ASCII ..
    Cheers!
  • Why not just use the max length information from the header information?
    As it turns out my current app uses $F0-$FF within strings being send out and received from devices. For the same reason you want to use them ... they don't look like normal ASCII ..
    Cheers!

Strings are just data structures, they might not have a header associated with them so we can't depend upon that mechanism. Maybe I just have to put the maximum length before the structure....
    btw, an $FF or any character with the 8th bit set will serve as a terminator in addition to nulls.

• OK, I was going by the glossary text for ERASE$. Will dig, and 'Supersize' the buffers.
    Thanks Peter!
    edited 2016-10-21 08:12
    Cluso99 sent me a couple of P8XBlade2s to play with and they look really good although I haven't used them yet but he did include one of those 128x128 color LCD modules which I interfaced as a regular output device in Tachyon. I've just got the basic 5x7 font driver in there for the moment but I will probably include font scaling and alternative fonts as well as graphics commands.

I'm only using the 4 wire I/O at present but I will see if it is possible to tell it to use the 3-wire mode.

lcd128x128a.jpg

My console session while testing the display.
    !lcd  ok
    blue to bg  ok
    white to fg  ok
    LCD .VER CON  ok
    white to bg  ok
    red to fg  ok
    LCD .VER CON  ok
    white to fg  ok
    blue to bg  ok
      ok
      ok
    LCD $0C EMIT lsroms CON  ok
    red green + to fg  ok
    LCD .S CON  ok
    0 to bg  ok
    LCD .VER CON  ok
    blue green + to fg LCD .VER CON  ok
    red blue + to fg LCD .VER CON  ok

To fill a window you can specify X Y Width and Height independently:
    64 W 64 H 32 X 32 Y blue fillWindow  ok
    38 X red fillWindow  ok

1307 x 1741 - 400K
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2016-10-21 12:34
    Nice work Peter. These LCDs are nice and cheap ~US$2.70+

I am using an 8*8 font which gives 16*16 chars/lines. A 5*7 font gives 21*16 chars/lines.

I power the LCD from prop pins, so I just plug the LCD into P0..P7.

I haven't really tried 3 pin mode. Software reset works so there is no need for this pin. I set CS=0 at the start, so this shouldn't matter either. So this just leaves CLK, D/C, SDA.
    edited 2016-10-21 13:15
    I've just added font scaling too. I noticed that the CE doesn't need to be brought high again but if there is ever a glitch then the whole SPI transfer may become out of synch. I'm sharing clk and data with the I2C bus so if I can use 3-pin mode with these display which the controller chip itself supports then it is effectively only one pin.

lcd128x128b.jpg
    terminal session
    5 5 *XY LCD 1234 . CON  ok
    1 1 *XY yellow to fg  ok
    LCD .VER CON  ok
    blue to fg  ok
    2 2 *XY LCD PRINT" HELLO WORLD" CON  ok

218 x 306 - 30K
  • Cluso99 wrote: »

I am using an 8*8 font which gives 16*16 chars/lines. A 5*7 font gives 21*16 chars/lines.

I haven't really tried 3 pin mode. Software reset works so there is no need for this pin. I set CS=0 at the start, so this shouldn't matter either. So this just leaves CLK, D/C, SDA.
    Are you selling these?

David Betz wrote: »
    Cluso99 wrote: »

Are you selling these?
    No. I bought a few a while back on eBay. Just noticed a few days ago that they are on AliExpress for $2.70+ including shipping. Cost me more than that for just postage :(

Peter,
    The pixels around the right and bottom edges are possibly because you haven't set the window to 0,0,127,127 for clearing.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    Peter,
    The pixels around the right and bottom edges are possibly because you haven't set the window to 0,0,127,127 for clearing.

Yeah, I decided to fix that immediately after the last post, it was just due to some changes so now I set them to 128,128
    pub LCDCLS
    	128 W 128 H 0 X 0 Y
    	0 $8000
    pub LCDFILL ( ch cnt -- )
    	WRDATA FOR SPIWR16 NEXT DROP SPICE
    	;

Last night I posted an update to my LCD driver that breaks the code into an object and demo files. I added rotation 0/90/180/270 degrees as well as the offsety=32 for the red pcbs. The PASM driver runs in its own cog which.includes the 8*8 128 char font.

Can you post your 5*7 (6*8) font please as it will save me making one :)