$2.65 IR Proximity Relay Kit

Another Ebay deal where the sum of the parts seems like a pretty good value. Must trigger at an adjustable DC level of reflected IR since the 4093 IC is just NAND gates, so this isn't a high tech sensor. A 38 kHz sensor & circuit would be more reliable, but who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth.

If nothing else, it looks like a nice PCB, so soldering the non-SMT parts may be fun for us old Heathkit lovers, or an intro to electronics for someone's budding young scientist. Win the whole science fair when your kid turns on a lamp or something else when you or Rover is detected.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222115701652

s-l1600.jpg
"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

• Wow. A 4093 NAND gate timer seems like such a Rube Goldberg machine to me. Are they dirt cheap or something? It requires 2x the peripheral components and PCB real estate as even a simple 555 circuit.

That said ... I would favorably judge a science fair project that used this to trigger a hands-free Goop/Gojo dispenser.
  • ercoerco Posts: 19,390
    hatallica wrote: »

That said ... I would favorably judge a science fair project that used this to trigger a hands-free Goop/Gojo dispenser.

Not sure that Gojo flows very well, but there are some cheap electric fluid pumps which might work with this sensor for thinner liquid soaps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Motor-Durable-Electric-Tea-Pot-Tea-Tray-Mini-Gear-Water-Pump-5-45-/391497048658

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso