Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ball Bearing Explosion! — Parallax Forums

Ball Bearing Explosion!

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
edited 2016-06-19 20:23 in General Discussion
Way OT for Fathers everywhere: Who knew that a hardened ball bearing would EXPLODE with fiery sparks in a hydraulic press? Just watch from 40-60 seconds.

Comments

• Fun stuff, wouldn't mind having a press with that capability, to waste some time now and then.
  • On another forum, someone said "If I had a press like that, I wouldn't ever get outside again".
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Brilliant channel. Note the brilliant "Finnish rally driver English accent" as it's known in Finland.
  • Couldn't believe how far into the pusher that bearing went before going super nova. That Timkin steel must be extremely hard.
  • Ball bearings are very dangeroose and can explode at any time, we must deal with it.
  • Gotta love it when an immovable object meets an irresistible force. This is particularly impressive due to the rate at which energy is applied to the system... Adiabatic compression of hardened steel...

A Savage Model 10 muzzleloader can accelerate a 240 grain sabotted projectile to 2500 fps. It is tempting to find a rock quarry and rig a remote-controlled test where a hardened steel slug is fired at a large hardened steel block. 3000 Joules released in a few microseconds is a lot of Watts. Wonder if that would produce a pyrophoric reaction?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    User Name: I forbid you to do that!

Please send video.
  • erco wrote: »
    Please send video.

For turning me onto the Hydraulic Press Channel, it's the least I could do!

Check out the paper that explodes after trying to fold it 7 times under the press.
  • User Name wrote: »
    For turning me onto the Hydraulic Press Channel, it's the least I could do!

That's pronounced hoodrolic press.
    Heater. wrote: »
    Check out the paper that explodes after trying to fold it 7 times under the press.

That and the hockey puck. It's amazing the amount of energy released when a material finally gives up and fails catastrophically.
    edited 2016-06-21 00:52
    Martin_H wrote: »
    It's amazing the amount of energy released when a material finally gives up and fails catastrophically.

I'm still amazed how a golf ball deforms under dynamic loads.

640 x 435 - 45K
  • The wife's laughter in the backgound is at least half the fun.
    Well, did you ever open a golf ball? It's just a big knot of elastic band.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Well, did you ever open a golf ball? It's just a big knot of elastic band.

Older ones, yes. (Likely the ball seen here is of that construction.) But all modern balls, at least those that I have disassembled, are no longer of a wound construction, and don't seem to compress when hit as much as the one in erco's video.

• I lived near a driving range as a kid, and picked up many a ball in the surrounding woods, we would take them apart for a super ball inside, not all of them had it.
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    I lived near a driving range as a kid, and picked up many a ball in the surrounding woods, we would take them apart for a super ball inside, not all of them had it.

It sounds like a Cinderella story here in Augusta!

A scanning electron microscope is almost as interesting as a hydraulic press.

• ceptimusceptimus Posts: 135
    edited 2017-11-02 15:07
    I think the golf ball video above isn't a real golf ball - it's either a faked video or the ball is a special one made of soft material.

There are lots of other YouTube videos of golf balls being hit/deformed and none show those extreme levels of deformation.

Crushing starts about 0:25
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    ceptimus wrote: »
    I think the golf ball video above isn't a real golf ball - it's either a faked video or the ball is a special one made of soft material.

I agree, a real golf ball distorted that much would have split. Most likely it is a rubber ball.
  • I think he needs a stronger table...