Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB SX programmer — Parallax Forums

USB SX programmer

My old PC with a serial controller died, so I got a new USB programmer. SXKey isn't seeing it (on Com 0). How do I find it in SXKey? I tried both v3.0 and 3.3

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    COM 0 should not be a valid COM port. Did you install the USB driver? If so it should have assigned a COM Port to the device, usually starting at COM3 or COM4.
  • Thanks Chris. I did install the USB driver.

Invariably when I try to compile and d/l, I get the error message:

"Unable to open COM0
    COM port in use by another process."
    As I said though, COM 0 isn't a valid port. Perhaps you should go into the options and set the COM Port to match the one assigned to the SX-Key by Windows. You can see this in your device manager un Ports (COM & LPT). The entry should read, "USB Serial Port (COMxx), where xx is the COM Port assigned to it.
  • Did that. It says "Unable to open COM31. COM port in use by another process" The machine is clean boot with nothing else in the USB ports...
  • You have probably used all the available USB Com ports available on your *old* computer operating system. You need to go into the Control panel / Device manager, and delete and or clear all the 30 some Com Ports. Reboot and check again, reinstall the software that came with the controller (if it is fact compatible with your *old* windows operating system) Other than that, go out and buy a new computer and be done with it. You just wasted more time than it was worth, just sayin' IMHO
    It's possible the SX-Key Software doesn't support a COM Port that high. You may need to set it to a lower one. Also, have you confirmed in the Device Manager which COM Port has been assigned to the Key?
  • It''s a new computer. It's the only COM port in use.
  • If it's a new computer, uninstall all the SX software.

Reinstall SX Software WITHOUT the USB being plugged in.

When asked to install the FTDI USB software, answer yes.

Let the full install go through.

Reboot.

Try again.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-06-17 20:12

dcalkins wrote: »
    It''s a new computer. It's the only COM port in use.

Without confirming that is the port assign to the SX-Key there's really no way to be sure of anything.

I still recommend checking in the device manager for the entry I specified. You can also verify by disconnecting the device and reconnecting it while the device manager hardware list is in view. It should disappear and reappear. You'll want to assign it a lower COM Port number.