Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    evanh wrote: »
    Bootable HyperMRAM! :D
    ;)

Cool ! Any links yet ?

Rayman wrote: »
    For DDR, we just need SysCLK/2 at 80 MHz to read in at 160 MHz, right?
    I'm unclear if you meant 80M/2 ?

The 160MHz DDR is one byte per edge, so that needs 80MHz on the HR pin.

A 160MHz P2 I think can Stream at SysCLK and can output SysCLK/2, but getting a tight phase control on those two could be some fun... ?

Maybe the Streamer needs a DDR Clock mode ?

Tubular wrote: »
    Hey Ray i have no problem at all if you want to put a hyperram pattern down on your board. Or put the header if you're worried about the bga soldering

I cleaned up the design a bit, here's the result.

Happy to check over your board if you like. I'd definitely like a couple.

Looking at this some more, I think a Dual HyperRAM board could be useful for P1, and also to expand the test platforms for HyperRAM.

Can you expand that to a two-footprint design, with data to lowest 16 pins.
    (anyone can fit only one, if they want to test 1 only)

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    edited 2016-05-26 17:16
    I guess I've decided that putting the 5V boost circuit on my USB board was just a dumb idea...

The P123 board power supply doesn't like it.

What I should have done, like I think somebody suggested, was just put another mini-USB connector there for providing 5V power.

I can still use the mini-USB I have for testing now though.
    Really glad I only got 2 of these things now.

I also need to add a more a convenient way of adding the 15k pull down resistors...

Thinking about just adding a jumper for each of the D+/D- data lines, so they can be disconnected. Then, any of the three USB jacks can be used to provide power.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    Rayman,

Now that you are close, I need to start following this more closely and looking at some issues myself.
    Exactly what are you currently using on the hardware side...? If you have a link to it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Rich
    All you need is a usb connector and two 15k pull down resistors to host a USB keyboard or mouse.

Well, actually, you need to provide +5V power too.

I'm using a mini-USB connector and external USB power supply to do this now.
    sounds simple enough... how could I possibly get it wrong:)
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    rjo__ wrote: »
    sounds simple enough... how could I possibly get it wrong:)

Realy asking for an extended visit from Murphy with that statement.
    I'm going to see if HyperRam can fit on this USB test board.

Was a bit puzzled by pin layout. I think I've decided that the image on Digikey is mirror image:
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/issi-integrated-silicon-solution-inc/IS66WVH8M8BLL-100B1LI/706-1466-ND/6004083

Not sure how they managed that though...
  • Never rely on DigiKey's images! They even say they're just generalizations. Always use the data sheet.

pp. 60 is what you're after
    http://www.issi.com/WW/pdf/66-67WVH8M8ALL-BLL.pdf
    edited 2016-05-31 20:53
    I'm going to see if HyperRam can fit on this USB test board.

Good idea :)
    Was a bit puzzled by pin layout. I think I've decided that the image on Digikey is mirror image: ..
    Not sure how they managed that though...
    They also did an image flip on a Murata resonator we used, so this seems not unique ?
    edited 2016-06-01 13:40
    Here's what my USB test board looks like now. Removed a flash chip so I could move uSD pins down to ones that aren't connected to buttons.

Using SMT solder bridge switches to switch USB host/device modes and also use any of the USB ports for power. The default is mini-USB for power and type A ports as USB hosts.

Put in inductor and capacitor so can use 3-pin headers for servos. Made it so can use through hole or SMT resistors, caps and inductor.

Also has a HyperRAM interface. My first attempt at BGA, we'll see if it works. Didn't need any internal vias to route it.

Lots of fun stuff here. I'm especially interested to see if I can get the camera port working. Have to provide a 25 MHz clock without a smart pin though. But, I could rotate the board 180 and then I think I'll have the camera pins on smart pins. But, maybe it won't be an issue.
    565 x 721 - 65K
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2016-06-01 13:47
    Is your HyperRam on the top of the PCB? Odd that I read the footprint reversed.
    455 x 372 - 21K
    hyp.png 20.8K
    Here's a close up of the HyperRAM connection. I think I did it right, but who knows...

705 x 677 - 51K
    edited 2016-06-01 14:09
    Looks reversed, mirror image Y axis. Here is the actual chip, shown bottom view that mate with the pads linked above that shows top view.
  • Chip, bottom view
    441 x 560 - 26K
    I have Pin1A in the top right corner. Think it's correct.

Did just realize that I don't think I can use HyperRAM and VGA output at the same time.
    Think VGA is only possible on pins 0..4.
  • Pin 1 A is top right based on looking at chip from bottom view. Use the ball pads based on the footprint with A1 top left. Unless I am really missing this :)
  • Looks right to me. Is there a decoupling cap nearby?

Interesting point re P0..4 and VGA. The dacs are connected to different fpga pins, but does it affect the header pins? not sure
    Here's what I think the chip really looks like. I think it will mate to my pads.
    124 x 74 - 18K
    edited 2016-06-01 14:24
    Try again to attach file...
    Wow, it won't let me do it. Maybe knows I copied it from web...
    Anyway, here's a link:
    http://www.spansion.com/style library/images/Spansion_HyperFlash.png
    124 x 74 - 18K
    edited 2016-06-01 14:29
    Removed image.
    edited 2016-06-01 14:28
    OH! my bad, you have the chip rotated Right 90! Sorry bout that. On your first pic there were white lines that made it look vertical oriented.

Well, it's important to get this right, so let me try to get you onboard...
    If I rotate my layout 90 degrees left, does it look better?
  • Correct, I didn't see your second zoomed image which makes it clear. My bad on that one.
    USB keyboard is a little more tricky than I thought...
    Getting regular key reports is easy.

But, setting LEDs and getting special keys (like "power" and "sleep") appears to require using separate endpoints.

Have to figure out how exactly that works...
  • Rayman wrote: »
    USB keyboard is a little more tricky than I thought...
    Getting regular key reports is easy.

But, setting LEDs and getting special keys (like "power" and "sleep") appears to require using separate endpoints.

Have to figure out how exactly that works...
    Great work!

At least you're at the point where you're getting key reports. I'm still stumbling through getting and parsing configuration data.
    Posted some info on how to process USB Token packets here:

http://www.rayslogic.com/Propeller/USB.htm

There is a calculator to decode endpoint, address and CRC.

I also cut and pasted a C version of CRC5 calculator into this javascript and got it to work with just a couple changes in the variable declarations.
    Ray,

Thanks for all your efforts and discussion. I spent several hours looking for a description like the UK document you link to on your page...and never found it. I turned to your page tonight... and there it is. Great information. I had decided to hook up a mouse... and the article has a very nice workup on a mouse!

By the way, "TOP" link back to your home page is broken.

Thanks

Rich

edited 2016-06-13 22:37
    Got new circuit boards and stencil :)

Be fun to see if solder paste jumpers work...
    1024 x 782 - 1M