Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Toddler for erco donations — Parallax Forums

Toddler for erco donations

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2016-05-22 04:02 in Robotics
As many of you know, erco is a valuable tool to the Parallax forums and without him we would all have a little more money in our pockets!!!! As you may or may not be aware, erco has quite a large robot collection. However, the one that keeps alluding him is the Toddler. So, in good spirit I have decided to part with my Blue Toddler. Fellow forumista's have decided to make donations so as to buy the Toddler for erco. ( Please see this thread http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/164282/toddler-vs-bigfoot#latest ) So, here's the deal. Anyone that wants to donate may do so by sending payment via PayPal to ebay@nwupgradesplus.com Donations will be accepted through Thursday, May 26th at 8:00 PM. Once the total is tallied up, I will donate 50% of the proceeds to a charity of erco's choosing. If you plan to make a donation please post on the amount on this thread so we can keep a tally of the total.

Comments

• $20.00 sent. Who's next?

• Got it. Thank you. Next!!!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2016-05-21 20:56
    Just sent my $20.00 - let me know that you received it, please. Thanks for doing this Andy!
  • Got it Whit. Thank you.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Gee whiz Guys, I'm half flattered and half embarassed to be a charity poster boy. Now for the record, I'm fully capable of getting one on my own. A while back, Mike Green actually offered to give me his, which was very generous, but I declined. I do enjoy the hunt. It has been fun watching this particular effort develop, but I do feel funny having people chip in $20, that seems a bit much. If it was a dollar here and there, maybe after I saved you a dollar on yet another thing you didn't need, I'd like that better. Can we rethink (and refund) the effort, which I do greatly appreciate, BTW?
  • Pfft, i'm only chipping in $10! That was the original amount. ... you'very cost me much more than you'very save me !! :p
    erco wrote: »
    Can we rethink (and refund) the effort, which I do greatly appreciate, BTW?

I say nay! Full speed ahead is my vote. Remember the charity component proposed by the generous Andy North. Seems fun to me...

erco has posted more bargains in the past week that I have to resist some way.

Ok, I've pled my case and it appears I'm unable to change the course you guys have charted. So full speed ahead and thanks guys! Yours in robotics, Toddlerco
  • I've Just sent $20.00 for erco's Toddler. Andy please let me know that you received it.
  • Got it Nikos. Thank you
  • Funny that Erco says not to do it, and now I'm much more inclined to. Will there be a flamethrowing Toddler in our future?

It looks like we're at $70?

I would think that should cover it, let me know if I'm wrong, I'm supposed to be raising funds for a $2k humanoid robot.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2016-05-22 21:01
    So far I have received $60.00. Mindrobots donation will make it $70.00 when received. Donations will be accepted through Thursday at 8:00 PM. Please keep in mind that 50% will be going to a charity of erco's choosing.
  • Okay, I popped for $10.00. It will have come from an account ending in vfr.net.

tc
    edited 2016-05-22 22:47
    TC, received, Thank you.

Really odd that I get email confirmation for some funds being added but not all, such as this one. I had to go to my account to see it there. I will contact PayPal to see what it up. Did you receive a payment confirmation?

edited 2016-05-22 22:45
    Just an FYI for everyone, If you use the Charity submittal in PayPal the fees will not come out. They charge $.44 per $10.00 otherwise.

@erco, please check PM.
  • I did receive a confirmation. And they claim you got all 10. Odd. Is PayPAL not my friend after all?

Actually, I didn't see the charity submittal; good heads-up for the others.

• I did get the full $10.00. It was the one from Publison.
    edited 2016-05-23 01:18
    xanadu wrote: »
    Funny that Erco says not to do it, and now I'm much more inclined to.

I forbid it! Go to your room! Do NOT pass go, do NOT collect $20 from everyone!

BTW I still say $20 is too much! $5 or $10 for this gag is plenty.

PayPal also has a "send money to a friend" option with no fees, FYI.
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    10 euros.. just to mess things up ;-)
    Massimo
  • I'm not sure I understand this. The top post says 50% goes to a charity. Where does the remaining 50% go?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand this. The top post says 50% goes to a charity. Where does the remaining 50% go?

I don't really understand the charity side of this but the original idea was for a few of us forum member to chip in a few bucks to purchase Andy's Toddler so it could take an honored place in erco's robot collection.

Andy: IMO your Toddler is worth $75. That was my max bid on eBay, and I got sniped at the last second. Your charity idea is a neat idea, but don't undersell yourself with the 50% option, which may be confusing people here. I say you plan to take a fair $75 first and give the rest to charity. Or if you get over $150, then revert to your 50% charity plan. Win-win!

And BTW thanks again to everyone for making this old man's Toddler dream come true. Love the Euros to mess things up, Max!
  • What kind of equipment is needed to build the Toddler mechanical components? Is the design open source like most of the new Parallax products? I wonder if it would be possible to create the parts in a "maker space" that has a CNC machine?
  • Duane, Rick and Max72, Money received. Thank you

erco, not a big deal. I like giving to charities when I can. I don't always have the opportunity to which is why I chose that route. Please PM me your address. Also, are you still looking for the Sumo board?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-05-24 14:51
    David Betz wrote: »
    What kind of equipment is needed to build the Toddler mechanical components? Is the design open source like most of the new Parallax products? I wonder if it would be possible to create the parts in a "maker space" that has a CNC machine?

The CNC stuff would be easy, I think I have the DXF files for the legs. The problem would be the formed metal chassis and feet. It used a BS2 board, but a Propeller board would make it even better.

500 x 630 - 64K
    500 x 490 - 64K
    500 x 953 - 109K
    500 x 470 - 29K
  • Oh yeah, I see the bent aluminum pieces. Not sure how to make those. Anyway, Toddler looks like a cool kit. Maybe Parallax will revive it some day.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I see the bent aluminum pieces. Not sure how to make those. Anyway, Toddler looks like a cool kit. Maybe Parallax will revive it some day.

Of course erco would change the hard to source parts to plywood. :)
  • I just found a new charity listing in Southern Cal....."Pedallers for Pyromaniacs"....it looks a bit suspicious! :)
    mindrobots wrote: »
    I just found a new charity listing in Southern Cal....."Pedallers for Pyromaniacs"....it looks a bit suspicious! :)

Does "Cycling for Corvairs" sound more legit?

Yes, Andy, I PM'ed you.

edited 2016-05-24 18:36
    David and all,

Old-timers like erco, Ken Gracey and me remember this project... The Home Center Walker - by Harry over at Blue Bell Design, Inc.