Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Happy Pi Day 3.14.16 — Parallax Forums

Happy Pi Day 3.14.16

Sorry Tau lovers, but it's party time. http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/lesson/lesson335.shtml

The RasPi guys must be whooping it up today.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Yeah, it's that annual moan about how I can't make π out of 2016-03-14, or 14-3 depending on where you are and what your date format is.

Besides π is the wrong number we should celebrate τ day.

And what about e day?

I only today realized it's Albert Einstein birthday. Which is how all this sillyness came about.

Happy birthday Albert. And thanks for all the headaches :)

I'm off to the shops to get some pie...
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Heater. wrote: »
    Yeah, it's that annual moan about how I can't make π out of 2016-03-14, or 14-3 depending on where you are and what your date format is.

No moaning this side of the pond. We're partying because we got the format right and this is the year. But Tau day, seriously? Do you really want to wait 16 years for 6.28.32?

Too risky to wait that long IMO. At my age, I don't even buy green bananas.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2016-03-14 11:39
    The fifth digit of PI is 5, not 6. Please don't round off PI. PI are squared, and not rounded.
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    The fifth digit of PI is 5, not 6. Please don't round off PI. PI are squared, and not rounded.

3.14.15 is so last year.
  • Happy Pi Day everyone! This just came out of the oven :D
    3435 x 2719 - 1M
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    @erco,
    Too risky to wait that long IMO. At my age, I don't even buy green bananas.
    Good point. Must remember to get pie every day.

@Dave,

Yes, but if you are going to give Pi to 5 significant digits the last of them had better be 6. That is more accurate.

Beside one always has to round off Pi, what with it's infinite number of seemingly random digits.
  • As Prince sang, I'm "gonna party like it's 22/7!"

What can I say, I'm a rational guy!
  • Dave Hein wrote:
    PI are squared, and not rounded.
    Au contraire! Pi are round. Cornbread are square.

-Phil
    Save 10Pi % (31.4%) today only on your PI-rate shirt! https://securestore.discovery.com/cart.php?p=855754

pi-rate-t-shirt-black_1000.jpg?k=69583640&pid=855754&s=catl&sn=discovery
  • And yes they are indeed celebrating faster then light over there. Right now I have a B2 updating itself with more programming needed to do stuff.

Which reminds me, erco how did all of your robots get there to join in the fun?
    Speaking of Pie, where's Dave James and his friend's quest to find Hostess blueberry pies?

Less than a month to PI DAY!

• K2K2 Posts: 691

Nothing to match your restaurant receipt but last year I began a practice of walking every day. I picked out a random route through the neighborhood and have repeated it every day for the past eight months - gives me time to think. You would just take a bike, but you're a faster thinker.

One day I brought the Garmin eTrex along to find out the path's length. As you've already guessed, doorstep to doorstep it was 3.14 miles. Might mention that over time the pie walk has become a cake walk.

@K2 said:
    Might mention that over time the pie walk has become a cake walk.

I love your circular logic!

Might be time for the "other camp" to throw in the Tau-el.

• Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2021-03-15 11:15

Body is required. I cannot delete this.

Well, ok, you cannot have Pi with out i.

You also cannot have an i without pi.

• @erco said:
    Less than a month to PI DAY!

Awesome, erco. Hope you're doing well.