Requesting ideas and considerations for newbie to R/C with microcontrollers

I am wanting to use a cheap R/C transmitter & receiver system with the Propeller on a rover project. Does anyone have an opinion on this low-cost package?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15140__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_USA_Warehouse_.html

For $30, it is hard to beat for a newbie who may wind up damaging it somehow. I value the experience here and just wanted to see what the overall feeling is about this particular system. I will be interested in any other low-cost systems that may be reommended. Thank you.

Mekkatronix

Mekkatronix@yahoo.com

Comments

• I second this. I'd love to get an R/C transmitter/receiver that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Just for toying around with.
    David
    PropWare: C++ HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) for PropGCC; Robust build system using CMake; Integrated Simple Library, libpropeller, and libPropelleruino (Arduino port); Instructions for Eclipse and JetBrain's CLion; Example projects; Doxygen documentation
    CI Server: https://ci.zemon.name?guest=1
  • That's the one that I've used in my robotics classes, in conjunction with a Propeller, and also with a model sailboat that I built. It works just fine for both apps. That said, however, it's not as resistant to interference from other transmitters as more expensive units are when there are a lot of them being used simultaneously, as in a race. But you have to pay more for a nice Spektrum system that overcomes this issue.

The only other downside I can report is that the transmitter takes eight AA batteries, and that the battery cover latch doesn't hold all that well. But for a unit that retails for only $30, those are pretty niggling complaints.

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • DavidZemon wrote: »
    I second this. I'd love to get an R/C transmitter/receiver that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Just for toying around with.

That's the one that I've used in my robotics classes, in conjunction with a Propeller, and also with a model sailboat that I built. It works just fine for both apps. That said, however, it's not as resistant to interference from other transmitters as more expensive units are when there are a lot of them being used simultaneously, as in a race. But you have to pay more for a nice Spektrum system that overcomes this issue.

The only other downside I can report is that the transmitter takes eight AA batteries, and that the battery cover latch doesn't hold all that well. But for a unit that retails for only $30, those are pretty niggling complaints.

-Phil

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like a good setup to start out with. Much appreciated!

Mekkatronix@yahoo.com
  • Should work just fine. There are lots of objects for reading receivers in Spin, PASM, or C/C++. Also, that unit would very likely work with rechargeable AA's. :)
  • You can swap out AA's with a Lipo. A 6 channel transmitter for $30 is a great price.
    Larry

If the grass is greener on the other side...it's time to water your lawn.
  • JasonDorie wrote: »
    Should work just fine. There are lots of objects for reading receivers in Spin, PASM, or C/C++. Also, that unit would very likely work with rechargeable AA's. :)
    lardom wrote: »
    You can swap out AA's with a Lipo. A 6 channel transmitter for $30 is a great price.

Again, some very good comments... JasonDorie, I actually had not even thought about the OBEX... glad you reminded me! Lardom, LiPo will indeed allow for more time in the field. Thanks all!

Mekkatronix@yahoo.com