Problem with number of pulse of encoder

I am using this kit for my robot https://www.parallax.com/product/570-00080. In the document, it says there are 1920 pulses for a rev with gear. I believe I have problem when measure the velocity of the motor by reading encoder. I got 28 pulse per 100 msec means 6.8 sec/rev if 1920 is a correct number. But by look at the wheel and use a time clock I get about 5 sec/rev. I wrote a small test to read the pulse only and spin the wheel manually I got about 1438 pulse/rev. So does the encoder not work as description?

Comments

• That's pretty close to the 1440 pulses per rev for the 30:1 gear on the V1.2 wheel kit.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • There was some post about a batch with encoders having wrong count of pulses a while ago.

I think @Ken posted about. Call Parallax support for confirmation. Very helpful and friendly people.

Enjoy!

Mike
    I am just another Code Monkey.
    A determined coder can write COBOL programs in any language. -- Author unknown.
    Press any key to continue, any other key to quit

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this post are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
  • Thanks guy, I confirm it is 1440 count.
  • msrobots wrote: »
    There was some post about a batch with encoders having wrong count of pulses a while ago.

I think @Ken posted about. Call Parallax support for confirmation. Very helpful and friendly people.

Enjoy!

Mike

I'm remembering Chris Savage commenting on it.

The motor supplier changed from a 16 transition per revolution encoder disk to a 12 transition per revolution encoder disk.