Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
JBTVDriver - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

JBTVDriver

2»

Comments

• Yeah, it's saved upside down, which is why both Chip and myself flipped the bitmaps so they're the right way in HUB-RAM :D

There are probably a few programs that won't load with a -Y size
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    I just tried the new version and it still didn't display right...

But, I went back to Chip's and played with "s" parameter.
    Reducing s from 84 does make the colors look better, but also introduces some flicker.

When I set this one to 84, it becomes pretty stable.
    But, the bottom few lines have a green tint on them...
    1496 x 1122 - 532K
  • Rayman, again, thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated. Oh and don't worry about the green tint at the bottom. Seems various TVs require different s values, are you running on DE2 or 1-2-3 kit?

I have DE2 and P123-A7, but this was with the P123.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    I did this morning what I should have done last night... commented out the lut transfer and guess what? Chip is right. Who would have thunk it?

• Rayman, Ah, ok, can you check the same on DE2 please? as it could be differences in the DACs between the two platforms, which I'm hoping it is, and not a TV issue, otherwise it's gonna have to be tweakable at runtime with everything we do, especially once the real chip is out!

rjo_ lol :D
  • The 32 bit images look great.....except for the green/cyan bar across the bottom! :)

I've run them on both the P123 and the DE2 and they are identical. I'm up and running on both now, so let me know if you need anything tested head to head.

I'm using a 7" LCD display - I was unable to drive my 47" TV - to far from desk! I need a longer cable and more testing time.

I have on clue about any of the video stuff but I might play with some numbers to see if I can get the bar to go away.

The picture itself is stable but the colors seem to "pulse" - most noticeable with the blue. It's like two frequencies are close but not quite the same, so the pulse is at the rate they are beating against each other. Again, not a video guy so I have no idea what that would mean as far as the signal goes.

All in all, it's pretty darn awesome!
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2015-11-13 19:56
    Your color perception is really good. That pulse is a minor timing misalignment we can fix.

Use a paint program to make a black region with a few single pixel lines to see that more clearly. They will shimmer slowly through a really bright rainbow of colors.
  • potatohead wrote: »
    Your color perception is really good.

Great! Everything else is shot but my color perception is good! :)

edited 2015-11-13 20:19
    I just tried with DE2-115 and result is just about the same. It is slightly more stable with s=47, but still shakes. s=58 looks pretty good, except for green bar on bottom....
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2015-11-13 20:54
    And I was thinking you guys just made it upside down just for us Ozzies & NZers to see ;)

Nice work BTW!
  • Thanks for the feedback guys :D I'm back home from work now, another 12hr day, will have a little play tonight though, see what else I can add, maybe the VGA driver.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Baggers wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys :D I'm back home from work now, another 12hr day, will have a little play tonight though, see what else I can add, maybe the VGA driver.

Baggers, I need to make a new compile to connect up the VGA's HSYNC and VSYNC signals before any of that will work. Only TV and HDTV are possible with the current compile.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2015-11-14 11:28
    Chip, VGA worked fine on my DE2-115 last night :D

Edit: I have VGA working inside the TV Driver cog, so it'll eventually be able to switch on the fly :D it handles any even Y size like the TV driver including interlaced mode ( fat/thin Y pixels ) I just need to do X sizes tonight, then it'll be ready to post.
  • Update now includes VGA driver
    Settings are constants at the moment, will make them variables at run time when component is in also.
    Again let me know how well it performs or not for your displays. Thanks.
    I already know VGA modes won't like it if you try to have a small border in the width because until we have the faster final version and double buffered streaming commands then it's not quite fast enough to have a tiny border as 1 pixel at 25Mhz doesn't give you much processing power time ;) to set up the next stream

Cheers,
    Jim.
  • When I try do download your latest file, I get file not found
  • Ah, ok thanks, I'll look into that. bare with me
  • Fixed link in first post, should have been 640x480 not 640X480 :P
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    I have updated Jim's driver from the top of the thread to P2v31.

I was interested in seeing if I could transmit NTSC at 640x480 using a $7 transmitter/receiver combo from Ebay... it works!!! :) To me it means we can capture from a pair of PropCams or OV7675s ... mix the two into a final ntsc image and transmit directly to a 3d display.

I know 3d is "SO yesterday" But it might be tomorrow. Who knows?