Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum security risk. URGENT! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Forum security risk. URGENT!

2»

Comments

• Publison wrote: »
    Yes, there were A LOT of useful Blogs that got lost with the upgrade.

Agreed!
  • I know :(

Well, this time around, we can archive code on GitHub and collaborate on that. Slow start so far, but if a few of us just do it, maybe we can improve on that aspect of upgrade pains.

As for blogs, I've not used mine in a while. Maybe I can just move the domain to a new, relevant service and start up that way...

Personally, I really like blogs. It's more than just some discussion. People will put tools, curios, projects, and other stuff that is pretty interesting most of the time on them.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Blogs can be great. When some one solves a problem he is having and then writes it up nicely it can be very useful for many others in the same boat. Even negative results of some hardware/software experiment can be insightful. I like to do that just so they I have a record of what I did for myself in case I have to do it again!

Didn't we call those "engineers log books" back in the day ? Heck you can still buy them: http://www.bookfactory.com/engineering-notebooks/engineering-notebooks.html

When things evolve into bigger projects that deserves a proper write up. I don't think a blog is the correct medium for that. Although a log will have a lot of source material for your project pages.

Which brings us to github, bitbucket and the like.

Problem is that "activity" thing is not any decent kind of blogging system. Just a wall of scrawl :)

• Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,160
    edited 2015-10-06 05:50
    Try telling that to the daft people at Hack A Day ( http://hackaday.com ) .

There they attempted to discuss the BASIC Stamp. And got soundly bashed over the head by the detractors and the profoundly ignorant. And had their facts checked by myself, and several good people on this forum.

[Oddly enough the clock for the forum is wrong, its ten minutes slow.)
  • Yeah, which is why it's good that we are getting rid of it. The feature just doesn't make a lot of sense for us.

After the migration and the loss of blogs here, I think it's wise to blog on a platform intended for blogging. This is a forum, and it's intended to be a forum. Same goes for code repositories.

As those become the norms, we should then just have nice Parallax related discussion here, as intended.

• The "Activity" heading has been removed, so there will no longer be the confusion between writing on the wall and a PM. You can still send PM's by clicking on the recipient's icon, then click message. Thanks to Jim (IT) at Parallax for addressing this issue!
    Great news Publison. But I see no change. "Activity" is still there waiting to catch the unwary.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Great news Publison. But I see no change. "Activity" is still there waiting to catch the unwary.

That's odd. When I log in under my non-moderator name, it does not show.

Poll: How many others can see it?

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-10-17 14:42
    Heater. wrote: »

Looks like just the heading went away, not the ability to post on someone's "Wall" when clicking on their icon.

Just sent a new email to Parallax with some screen shots.

edited 2015-10-17 15:06
    The "Activity" heading is still there.

I do hope the text box is going away as well else there is little improvement.

Edit: Well, the text box without the "Activity" heading is even worse. Having clicked a users name you would expect to be typing private messages to them, not broadcasting.
    574 x 329 - 30K
  • You may have the Activity Heading because you are part of the "exclusive" people in the forums. :)

Like I mentioned, and email is off to IT at Parallax.

304 x 110 - 34K
    OK. Clear browser caches gets rid of it. Phew!
  • Still doesn't get rid of the problem. Will talk to Parallax Monday.

Thanks for testing!
  • Make the activity area accessible by moderators only.
  • The thread is 3 years old. No need to bring it up again.
  • Unless I've lost count this is the third ancient thread magically resurrected at random recently.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2018-04-22 00:36
    Sometimes we don't always notice the last date in the last post, so as you see, someone adds their 50 chars worth. But yes, there are some old threads surfacing at the top page of (whatever) topic, but the last post to it is years old. Been seeing this for a couple weeks or so. the Express PCB thread in General topics appears to be one such.
  • Sorry 'bout that. My bad.