Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Licensing the Propeller 2 FPGA: For Serious Commentary and Consideration - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

Licensing the Propeller 2 FPGA: For Serious Commentary and Consideration

1235»

Comments

• cgracey wrote: »
    Whew! I just read all this.

It's a complex world.

What are you doing in this thread??? Get back to that documentation!!!
  • I did have a quick look at using the P2 streamer to produce PAL scan lines earlier in the week, and got something on my sony display which isn't that fussy about the v sync

Greyscale only, so far, but the streamer is pretty neat in that you can sequence different rates straight after one another . I think could do a reasonable analog colorburst using the dacs.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Tubular wrote: »
    I did have a quick look at using the P2 streamer to produce PAL scan lines earlier in the week, and got something on my sony display which isn't that fussy about the v sync

Greyscale only, so far, but the streamer is pretty neat in that you can sequence different rates straight after one another . I think could do a reasonable analog colorburst using the dacs.

I'm working on the doc's. Once I get the streamer documented, I think you'll see a lot of ways to do things. I'm surprised you've gotten that working, already, with just one mode!
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2015-09-30 21:45
    Tubular wrote: »
    I did have a quick look at using the P2 streamer to produce PAL scan lines earlier in the week, and got something on my sony display which isn't that fussy about the v sync

I think this composite will be an important sub-area for P2, as other companies are not focused on this.

For direct LCD use, I notice FTDI now have a FT81x Eve variant, with MByte level RAM and 800x600 LCD support.

LUT will let a P2 get close, but JPEG image handling could be a challenge & memory is tight.
    8 bit LUT has this spare memory
    2^19-800*600 = 44288 RAM spare
    a little tight.
    6 bit LUT would be
    2^19-(800*600*4/5) = 140288 RAM Spare
    an improvement, but I'm not sure if the P2 LUT HW supports a 6 bit variant ?

Addit: Also on the direct-to-LCD front, are items like this
    http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-78156/l/raspberry-pi-7-touchscreen-display
    Not cheap, but mechanically well finished.

and a MCU variant, cheaper, smaller LCD, but also mechanically well finished is the STM32F746G-DISCO
    ($48, 4.3-inch 480x272 color LCD-TFT with capacitive touch screen, 128-Mbit SDRAM (64 Mbits accessible)