Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using the Propeller to get onto the Internet! — Parallax Forums

Using the Propeller to get onto the Internet!

TymkrsTymkrs Posts: 539
edited 2015-08-21 01:02 in Propeller 1
Hey all!

We've been continuing our old-school telephone gear + Propeller shenanigans and the latest project involves using the Propeller to get onto the internet through an acoustic coupler. Thought we'd share:

(EDIT: had to blur out some extra frames!)

Old school IRCing at 300 baud with a Propeller *woot!*

We're also generically tracking the project's step by step progress on our reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tymkrs/comments/3f88ck/internal_phone_network/

Simple code: http://pastebin.com/MWveACWM

@tymkrs

Comments

• You guys are wonderfully warped!! Thank you for sharing a fun project!!!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Wow. I haven't used/seen an acoustic coupler since the early 80's.
  • Wow, now that is some nerdy stuff! Awesome!

Still audio couple in ham radio sometimes for data transmission. Come to think of it, you should get yer ham license...

Jonathan - KK6RPX

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Yes, where on Earth did you get that acoustic coupler from?

Here is a young guy transmitting data using audio. Over an audio wireless transmitter:
  • Haha, I do have my ham license! It's how I got started in electronics :D Here's my hamshack in fact:

Jonathan wrote: »
    Wow, now that is some nerdy stuff! Awesome!

Still audio couple in ham radio sometimes for data transmission. Come to think of it, you should get yer ham license...

Jonathan - KK6RPX
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Yes, where on Earth did you get that acoustic coupler from?

Ebay :) We're working on bringing up an old-school system to it's former glory!
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    Wow. I haven't used/seen an acoustic coupler since the early 80's.

Yeah! It came in really nice condition too!
  • mindrobots wrote: »
    You guys are wonderfully warped!! Thank you for sharing a fun project!!!

• Ha! Not surprised you are a ham. Here is a pic of my shack, note the giant "Tube Merit" meter on the left. That thing is 8" by 9"! It is interfaced to the digital world with a Prop (of course!) and is currently showing the room temp. It will soon be showing the temp. of my solar powered hot tub!

73!

Jonathan- KK6RPX

3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Hah! That temperature monitor is awesome!!
  • Hey all,

I wanted to give an update to this project. Even though the Prop is a small part of it, we think it's a pretty epic overall project.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Telecom-Time-Machine/

It's our Time Machine! An old school but effective way to get onto the internet to play Telehack :). And it brings together a whole bunch of different how-to's seen either here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tymkrs/comments/3f88ck/internal_phone_network/

OR

http://www.instructables.com/id/Telecom-Time-Machine-1/

• TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2015-09-08 16:42
    Demon Dialer, The finest in home Phone accessories,
    Just set it and forget it for a few hours, Then come back to a nice long list of BBS phone numbers printed up on your
    Dot Matrix, Tractor feed, Parallel port printer (that you just put a fresh ribbon in.).. Ah, Memories...

I know your not making a Demon Dialer Tymkrs, It's just what I think of every time I see or hear DTMF.
    Which is weird, because all that stuff used Rotary dial...

You guys are wonderfully warped, Keep up the good fun!

-Tommy
  • Haha, thanks Tommy :) Yeah, I think Whisker's played with demon dialers before, though he calls it war dialing :). Glad you liked it!
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-09-09 12:21
    FYI - The universal motto of any HAM swap meet is...

"It is better off in your garage than in my garage."

HAM radio enthusiast have squirreled away just about anything electronic that one can imagine and their spouse are always trying to make room for the family car.

++++++++++++
    I actually acquired the ARRL exam book this year, and I can get a HAM license for use in Taiwan. But I have to fly to Thailand or Japan to take the exam.
  • Tymkrs, Loved the instructable. I have an old phone similar to your and while I live off grid and have no phone lines I may have to find a way to use it.

Loopy, I'm not sure that is the ham swap meet motto. In any case there is a well known phenomenon that results in all hams who attend a swap meet having more junk in their garages than they started with no matter how much they sold. :-) Yes, this defies the Law of Conservation of Junk, but it's true in my case anyway.

Drop me a PM when ya get yer ticket. I'd love a QSO from Tiawan. Buddy of mine who lives in China is coming stateside and getting his ticket next month.

Jonathan
  • Awesome Jonathan :D Let us know what you end up doing with it :) and glad you like it :)