Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller out of stock??? — Parallax Forums

Propeller out of stock???

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but I looked briefly and did not find anything.

I have a commercial product that uses the DIP Prop1. Just had a minor heart attack when I found out DIP and QFP versions are apparently out of stock until the end of October. Anyone know if this is a realistic date? It seems as though my only option until then is to try to adapt the QFN somehow, maybe with a Schmartboard or similar. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Sorry 381 DIP's on order, not in stock.

• WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2015-07-16 01:58
    If you have an urgent need for a DIP Propeller, send me a PM. My M44D40+ module is exactly what you mentioned. It is a small PCB that presents the QFN prop in a DIP40 pinout, but also adds the crystal, programming header, and bypass caps. It can be used with only Propeller QFN so that it is essentially a DIP40. Prop only modules are usually priced at $12 or less. See this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/131867/
    M44D40+ Propeller Basic Circuit Module in DIP40 Form Factor
  • Thanks Andrew, your module is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I was starting to think I'd have to make my own adapter PCB which I wasn't excited about.

I managed to find some DIPs in stock at Jameco so that's my plan A for now. (I won't relax until I have them in hand.) I'll keep your suggestion in mind for the future.

John
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2015-07-16 04:02
    Was there any official comment about the fact  that propeller-DIP-Chip ran out of stock?
    I remember a longer time ago (3 years?) parallax announced the shortage of propellerchips.The announcement said something about how parallax want to avoid a run out of stock in the future.
    As the propeller-chips are not manufactured at parallax of course there are reasons possibleparallax can't be blamed for. 
    Anyway I'm interested what did happen?
    best regards  
    Stefan 
    P.S. maybe I got tomatos on my eyes. Where can I subscribe to email-notification?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    When I checked maybe a week ago, the DIP and QFP parts were due about 25 September. Now I note it says 30 October.

While there are QFN parts available, last I heard there would be no more QFN parts once existing supplies were exhausted.

This is the third time I recall where prop chips were not available for some months. This is certainly a poor track record for commercial customers.
  • most IC vendors have deliver times in excess of 3 months, that is not at all unusual. The fab processes can not be speed up at our wish.
  • Of course parallax can't speed up fab-processes.
    But parallax can estimate how long the number of prop-chips in stock will last and place an order for a new production-run early enough to have new chips in stock before the last chips are sold.
    If the number of sold chips has gone through the roof. Congrats for beeing so succesfull. Anyway parallax should be able to watch the decrease of stocked prop-chips and place an order right in time to avoid a supply-gap.
    best regards  
    Stefan 
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2015-07-16 09:24
    http://www.findchips.com/search/P8X32A-D40

The variation in prices is interesting.
  • Zynq based DIP module is now ready and working, but that would be bit too expensive for direct replacement
    https://hackaday.io/project/6786-soft-propeller
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    alukats,
    What a totally awesome module. Brilliant idea. 
    When can we get some?
  • we produced one panel = 4 board, as we had only 5 ZYNQ in stock at high $$$. We have pending order, but we wait for Avnet to deliver.
    But I can of course reserve 1 from the first 4 for "some one from Parallax/forums", that is the best I can do for short notice.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Don't do that, no hurry, it's summer time and there is much to do besides hacking. Or so I am commanded :)
    Any idea of a ball park price when you get a bigger batch made?
  • Couldn't Parallax keep 2k-5k on reserve for these times? 
    I know that is a lot of money to have but it isn't like the prop changes frequently.  And surely they get a discount from the fab?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Anyone who got one or more of the Parallax Mystery Bag or Christmas stocking from years ago got a Propeller DIP. I have 3-4 new ones stashed away if anyone is desperate.
    C'mon Forumistas, if you have some stockpiled, here's our chance to give back!
  • Anyone who got one or more of the Parallax Mystery Bag or Christmas stocking from years ago got a Propeller DIP. I have 3-4 new ones stashed away if anyone is desperate.
    C'mon Forumistas, if you have some stockpiled, here's our chance to give back!

I also have some I can provide if someone is desparate. Probably not more than 5-6 though.
  • we produced one panel = 4 board, as we had only 5 ZYNQ in stock at high $$$. We have pending order, but we wait for Avnet to deliver.
    But I can of course reserve 1 from the first 4 for "some one from Parallax/forums", that is the best I can do for short notice.

Are you talking about this? OZoM: Open Source Zynq on Module
    I supported this and I thought you said you had already made modules and would send me one but I never heard anything.
  • Anyone who got one or more of the Parallax Mystery Bag or Christmas stocking from years ago got a Propeller DIP. I have 3-4 new ones stashed away if anyone is desperate. 

RobotShop apparently has more than 100 in stock:
    http://www.robotshop.com/en/parallax-propeller-40-pin-dip-chip-p8x32a-d40.html
    Walter

Walter

• Hi David, which one you prefer the DIP40 or the ozom PCB? I have been overloaded :( really not feeling good, but no one is forgotten or abondoned..
  • Hi David, which one you prefer the DIP40 or the ozom PCB? I have been overloaded :( really not feeling good, but no one is forgotten or abondoned..

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I guess I'd rather have the DIP40 if possible. Actually, either would be fine. I'm also okay waiting. I just hadn't heard anything so I wondered if the whole project had been abandoned.
    Thanks,David
  • I'd be interested too! These Zynq chips are interesting. Yesterday, I was playing with the Digilent Zybo (their Zynq board offering) and using it to run a Risc-V core. It was pretty cool to have Linux running on the A9 cores and having it load risc-V code to the FPGA. I got as far as running the the risc-v linux before I ran out of time to play.

It would be fun to work with your Propeller implementation on the Zynq chips.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
  • hey thanks for good wishes:
    I should be more precise writing from my mind, I did mean that I am not feeling good about not being able to-do things faster.. Work has processes, but there are some feasibility concerns, and design decision, well most to the time the most problem is: CONNECTORS! What kind of the connectors to use, and how to-do reasonable compromises.
    OZOM-A board was redesigned 2 or 3 times after REV1, and will get one more redoing, the final.
    on DIP40 propeller board I have Zynq booting and loading the FPGA from SPI flash. So the module is pretty much useable as it is now. There are some more things to test, and I need customized bootloader, as the CSG225 package does not boot directly from SD card.
    I will most likely do an plain Artix FPGA also in DIP40, its really nice small form factor with EASY use pins.
  • Pretty lame that these are out of stock until October. I order QFN boards from adafruit comes 3 to a pack for $6.00. Just reflow the QFN on them and your good to go.
  • I tried the Adafruit boards and the pitch was too small. 7X7 . So I made my own PCB with exact pin to pin  replacement for the Prop dip 40.  If anyone has interest I'll put them on Ebay fully tested.
  • Mouser is now out of stock on all Props. There were 500 QFPs last week when I ordered 10, but they're now gone.

Mouser has 2,000 QFP's and 300 Dip's:
    http://www.mouser.com/parallax/Semiconductors/Embedded-Processors-Controllers/_/N-6hpef?P=1z13qcq

• I see as in writing this that Parallax has 2,500. Dip 40's in stock
  • And 2,100 qfp, 10,000 qfn.
  • Happy Days!
  • Just a matter of choice. Back in the day of win95 , win98 people would develop drivers on Intel and when you tried them on AMD they would not work. Mainly a developer issue not necessarily an AMD issue
  • Posted this one in the wrong place
This discussion has been closed.