Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Monitoring technical installations — Parallax Forums

Monitoring technical installations

LA6WNALA6WNA Posts: 138
edited 2014-05-26 04:40 in Accessories
Hello everyone. I`m new at the forum, and I just wanted to thank you all for a great place to get ideas and technical info about all the Parallax equipment. I`ve learned a lot from you.
My english writing is not that good, but I hope you`ll not hang me for that..
I got into this Parallax things via my friend Moskog, who has been on this forum for a while. We happens to work together at the same place at daytime, and we share our ideas all the time.
It started out with the BS2, but since my friend Moskog jumped into the Propeller, I did it too.
Now I`m working on a "newer ending project". I put up a Propeller connected to a modem and a radio and called this "the main station". This one collects data from different technical installations that got their own BS2 or Propeller with similar modem and radios. Main station is delivering "showable" data via its video output. Video signal is connected to a TV-modulator that modulates the signal on a separate TV-channel on the antenna network in my house. So; now I can lay down on my sofa and watch the conditions at my installations on my TV. Fun and practical at the same time...
A few of months ago, I bought the Spinneret Web Server. Now I`ve made a connection between the main station and the web server, and that works all right. Just one problem; when my kids are gaming on the Internet, the Spinneret sometimes get stucked. Hang. Need a reset. Maybee I should give my Spinneret its own port instead of forwarding port 80, as I`ve done today. We`ll see.
I`m planning to get more of my technical installations "online" aftherwards.
If someone of you are interested seeing my project as it is so far, just visit : http://spinneret.la6wna.com/
If the Spinneret dont hang or I dont work on new codes, you should be connected. :lol:

Have fun.

Comments

• twctwc Posts: 107
    edited 2013-02-17 15:19
    Very nice project Peter - stay warm!
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2013-02-17 16:47
    Very cool project Peter.

I recently updated W5100.spin. There was a bug that would send 8 bytes out the port during certain Tx conditions which caused the W5100 to become unresponsive even to a ping. It appeared to only affect UDP connections on the W5100 while the W5200 did not care. The bug could also affect TCP.

Let us know how it goes.
  • LA6WNALA6WNA Posts: 138
    edited 2013-02-18 12:23
    Thanks a lot for nice words guys. Glad you liked the project.
    The codes in this project is as simple as they can be and unnecessarily cumbersome, I guess you will say..and laugh... (so I dont think I post them yet :lol:) I`m a very new beginner, remember.
    Well, it doesn`t matter. They works for me.:smile: And I have very much fun with it.

Mike: First, thank you sooo much for the W5100.spin. It`s a great peace of work.
    I dont think the bug you refere to really bothers me for the moment, cause the server is still responsive to ping even when it gets the hang symptome. It`s not that often it happens, so preliminary I`ll let it stay like that. I have set my ADSL modem port forwarding to response for TCP only, and it looks like the server "hang" is more rarely afther that.

Thanks again, folks. Have fun.

EDIT: Updates March 1. : Rocky`s cathouse got "online" on Spinneret tonight. Check if Rocky is at home: :lol:
    http://spinneret.la6wna.com/get?cat=<FONT+color%3Dred>Cathouse<%2FFONT>
    edited 2013-11-19 14:14
    Hello again, folks.
    As mentioned earlier, this is a never ending project. I just add on things aftherwards and have fun getting it working.
    Now I`ve added a RS485 bus driver to my "main station" so I can get data from my nearby installations over a single pair cable connection.
    Tonight I got my home ventilation system online over the RS485 bus, This is now also present at its own web-page on my Spinneret. Also got it on my tv.
    Take a look and have a laugh...:lol: : http://spinneret.la6wna.com/

I love playing around with Propeller`s, and now this monitoring system starting to get really usefull. Planning to add more to it.

Have fun.
    edited 2014-05-24 13:43
    Uppdates for my "never-ending-project":
    Now my micro hydro power station has got its own Propeller control. Afther building all this stuff (I/O-boards, relayboards etc..) , I just had to ask myself; why did`nt you buy a complete PLC? That would have been much easier, but I guess, only 1/10 as fun...
    With all 8 cogs running, it now controls the whole power-station.(max 2kW @ 230v AC, asynchronous generator) My greatest Propeller project so far
    Data from the powerstation are now sent back to my "main station" at home via RS-485 bus line (150m), and then futher on to the Spinneret Web Server.
    So now I can watch the conditions in the powerstation from anywhere I can get on Internet. Fun and practical at the same time...

Have a look at http://spinneret.la6wna.com Here you find some of the data from the powerstation. (not all of them)

Only problem for future projects is that my Spinneret is filled up with HTML-codes. There`s only abt 500 longs free space left on it, Guess I have to change driver to one that can handel files from SD-card. Have`nt tried that yet. Then I maybe could have som more "fancy" layouts at the sites. They`re quite simple for now.
    Any suggestions about what Spinneret code with SD-driver thats best/easiest to use??

Have a nice summer all of you.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-05-24 13:56
    I love to see some pictures and/or video of your hydro power station. It sure sounds cool.
  • RforbesRforbes Posts: 281
    edited 2014-05-25 05:53
    I agree with Duane! This is a great project and hydro-power is a really fun area of study. What type of turbine are you using please?
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2014-05-25 06:44
    Wow! Cool stuff
    edited 2016-12-11 20:03
    Hi again guys. Sorry for late repply, but we don`t have more than 24 hours a day here in Norway....:lol:. Time is tooooo short for all this cool Propeller things.
    Had a lttle time in my office tonight and got my website updated. You`ll find some pictures there, under "projects". My websites is in Norwegian languege, but I had you all in mind so I wrote som comments in English by the pictures of this project. I`m not that good writing your languege, but I hope you`ll understand the most of it.
    I have built my turbine afther the Pelton-principal. It`s all designed for this project. I`ve always loved to make my own things from junk and other cheap things that was ment to be used for other things than in my projects. Like my wind-anemometer; that`s 3 ice-spoons bought at a local shop for $3 each. Works great for me.:cool:
    Turbine is built from a 13" car wheel. (think it was a Maszda). Pelton spoons was made of 1,5mm steel plates, bended and welded in right positions. A lot of work, but when you`re interessted in things you`ll have fun with making it. And the greatest part of it is when the junk turns into a practical, working machinery. I love it.
    OK guys. I have to "sleep on it", as the man Meat-Loaf sang years ago. Its midnight here, you know.:blank:
    Take a look, but dont laugh yourself to death.... See you....:lol:: http://arnevik1.no/Kraftverket.htm
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-05-25 15:50
    I'm glad we asked for pictures. Those are great!

Thanks for sharing this with us. Norway looks very cool.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-05-25 19:16
    Wow! The website and photos are all very impressive! And you needn't be bashful about your English: it's also top-notch!

-Phil
    edited 2014-05-26 04:40
    Thanks alot for nice words guys. Glad you liked the project. Got so many ideas to use the Propeller, but I don`t have time for more than a bit of it.:blank:
    I really love this processor, and Parallax, and support, and forum and-and..... Great equipment. Thanks.
    I will update this string if I eventually gets other installations "online" at my Spinneret, so hang on if you`re interessted. That may be "wintertime work". Now the summer is here, and other things than electronics gets on my priority list.
    Right now I`m looking forward to get family visitors from Seattle, WA. I beleeve that`s your area, Phil..?
    Me and my family visited Seattle last year. We also took a guided trip through Boing factory. THAT WAS VERY IMPRESSIVE. Huge building, and stuffed with high technology things. Loved to be there.
    OK, this where a little "off-thread".....:lol:
    edited 2016-12-11 20:07
    OK folks, time for a update.. The whole forum i new, so I didn`t recognize it... I see there`s a lot of discussions and anger about the new forum, and I can really understand it... But I`ll try to hang on anyway. Hope this works. Finally got my good old avatar back, hehe..
    Allright, cool down the harm over the forum for a second and read about / laugh at my latest project:
    Made a Propeller garden-controller..., don`t know what to call it.
    Read about the project here: http://arnevik1.no/Hagestyring.htm;
    Data from the project here: http://spinneret.la6wna.com/get?garden=;
  • LA6WA,
    Can you post your code so I and rest forum members can see how you pull off such a great project. I am working on a project close to what you have done and would like to see how you did yours.  
  • Hi "bsnut", sorry for late response.
    Attached is the spincode for my garden controller. I`m not a very good programmer, so the programme does`nt look very professional. Hope you got an idea of how it works anyway.
    Hope the attachment works too.. I`m not comfotable with the new forum yet..
    :lol:
  • Thank you LA6WNA.  Hi "bsnut", sorry for late response.
    Attached is the spincode for my garden controller. I`m not a very good programmer, so the programme does`nt look very professional. Hope you got an idea of how it works anyway.
    Hope the attachment works too.. I`m not comfotable with the new forum yet..
    :lol:

Thats fine you got yours working the way you want it. Which is better in my case, my project isn't not working the way I want it right now.
  •  BTW, LA6WNA can you also post Spinneret spin code as well?

•  BTW, LA6WNA can you also post Spinneret spin code as well?

Jepp. Here is the spincode that`s running on my Spinneret webserver for the moment.
    It`s a totally modified version of a spincode called "HTML_graph". Its been running all right for me for a long time. The Spinneret gets its input data from my "main-station", which is a Propeller collecting data from all my other stations via RS-485 and also via modem and radios. Main station serves data to the Spinneret via my own version of a I2C-connection.
    Hope you can get something out of it, but I`m not a good programmer. It surely could have been done more exellent, I beleve.
  • Thank you very much for the Spin code for the Spinneret LA6MNA. It was what I was looking for and gives idea how can do the Spinneret project that requires me ping another IP address. This also allows me to also do what I trying to do years ago, which was to do remote control.