Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Forum Issue: "Body is too long" Posts — Parallax Forums

New Forum Issue: "Body is too long" Posts

SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
edited 2015-07-08 22:51 in General Discussion
The forum limits the maximum length of posts. When I try making a long post, I get an error like this:
Body is 6984 characters too long.[/list]

Comments

• Added to the issue list.
  • Maximum body length increased to 15000 characters.

Any post exceeding this limit will require you to reserve comment space.
  • Maximum body length increased to 15000 characters.

Any post exceeding this limit will require you to reserve comment space.

How does one "reserve comment space"?
    Do you mean limit comment size to 15000 or is there some way to override this limit?
  • I think she means make additional empty posts, for editing in later. This works if you can edit >1 hr.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-07-12 18:53
    Courtney,
    I think 15000 characters is going to be way too restrictive. The reason I say this is that I tried to paste the s2.spin source here, but that program has 281K characters. In a scrolled code window it would have fit the screen handily, but because of its character count, I could not show it.
    There are many programs that users would like to display (vs. attach) where a character limit is going to be an adverse restriction. My recommendation would be either to raise the limit substantially or not to count characters in [code] blocks against the limit.
    Thanks,-Phil
  • Testing
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-07-12 22:01
    Let's see if this bubbles up, now that Tracy has unsunk it...
    ... yup! But it took a new post to do it. Interesting.
    -Phil
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    edited 2015-07-12 22:57
    ...t that program has 281K characters. In a scrolled code window it would have fit the screen handily, but because of its character count, I could not show it.
    .... My recommendation would be either to raise the limit substantially or not to count characters in [code] blocks against the limit.

It certainly is an issue in a code-related forum.

Allowing open-slather on 281k+ is probably less elegant, but it may be a good short term fix until a proper, working code window is finally available.

Then, your suggestion of a higher/almost no limit in a scrolling/syntax highlighting/select all/download capable CODE window would be good.

• Bump is not planning on raising the limit.

Please attach long code as a file and include snippets rather than pasting the entirety in the window.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Another feature gone and no one at parallax cares, or is interested :(
  • Another feature gone and no one at parallax cares, or is interested :(

Come on Parallax, if you're going to sink a thread (again) at least tell us!
  • As requested, I will now be stating clearly it on each thread marked forum issue.

Please do not put any active or ongoing discussion in any issue thread.
  • Apparently, this thread was sunk (as Courtney indicated above). See this thread.