Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Apology and request to support your Parallax troops through forum improvements! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Apology and request to support your Parallax troops through forum improvements!

2»

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    David, 
    Yes, with only a single category in the forum all threads are "off topic". But the magic tagging system can be used to filter it all so you only see what you want to out of it.
    More seriously, I would have thought a "projects" category was essential. 
  • David, 
    Yes, with only a single category in the forum all threads are "off topic". But the magic tagging system can be used to filter it all so you only see what you want to out of it.
    More seriously, I would have thought a "projects" category was essential. 

Fine. Then we can get rid of Robotics as well. Problem solved!
  • Since Parallax seems so enamored with tags and believes they are the answer to many problems, just do away with "Catagories" completely. Then we'll see how great tags are.
  • Per Courtney's request above (was anyone paying attention?), I've created a separate tags vs. categories thread here:
    Forum Issue: Tags vs. Categories

Perhaps the discussion could be moved there.
    -Phil
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-07-07 16:30
    This whole business of putting things into categories or taxonomy is, in general, a big problem. So often it depends on how you look at a things. What are the important features that cause you to put it into this category or that? Is a bird in the same class as a aeroplane because it flies or is it in a different class because one is a man made machine and the other is not? Or are there different tax breaks for buying bird food vs jumbo jet fuel?
    That is why class based object oriented programming is such a disaster.
    That is why the tag system is being promoted here. To cut across the classification system.
    When I said remove the forum categories and just use tags to filter what you want from the sea of threads I was not totally joking. In fact that is what they do on http://talk.resin.io Although it's early days there, they have few users or posts so I have no idea how it works out in the long run.   

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-07-07 18:09
    Speaking generically here, having just posted to Phil's tags/categories thread: Robotics is a specific and major cornerstone of Parallax (one of the principle drivers of the company's profits, I understand), so it only makes sense -- to me, anyway! -- that it's a top-level category. 
    Elsewhere, Jim mentioned the reasons for trimming the number of categories. I understand those reasons, but I think a few more categories wouldn't hurt. For example, though Parallax considers the ELEV-8 a robotic platform, I personally think it ought to have its own category, main or under Robotics. 
    Tags don't enter into the equation. Buyers of a $600 kit want to see formal and specific support for their product. 

Anyhow, that's my argument, and I'm sticking to it!
  • Also, the P1V subforum is indeed gone.  Many forums lost their lives in the June '15 switch and will be remembered fondly. I suggest making use of the tagging feature to differentiate topics in the Propeller 1 forum.

Personally, I don't really need subforums.  Subforums could be eliminated completely and it wouldn't bother me much.  However, I understand that some people strongly feel that subforums are important, and they want the old ones restored.  I don't understand why some of the subforums were removed, but is it really that difficult to reinstate them?  It seems like the comments from Parallax are somewhat condescending, and imply that the people requesting the old subforums should just forget about them and live with the new smaller set of subforums.
    Can someone from Parallax please explain why they feel that the old subforums are not needed?

• All robots are projects but not all projects are robots.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Ken,
    I bit my tongue after Your post that some things are chipped in stone. Here is another. P1V is gone (so has robotics or projects but that really doesn't affect me).

Nothing here for me any more !

I will communicate directly via email with the few friends. At least I can put my emails in respective folders.
  • Also, the P1V subforum is indeed gone.  Many forums lost their lives in the June '15 switch and will be remembered fondly. I suggest making use of the tagging feature to differentiate topics in the Propeller 1 forum.

Personally, I don't really need subforums.  Subforums could be eliminated completely and it wouldn't bother me much.  However, I understand that some people strongly feel that subforums are important, and they want the old ones restored.  I don't understand why some of the subforums were removed, but is it really that difficult to reinstate them?  It seems like the comments from Parallax are somewhat condescending, and imply that the people requesting the old subforums should just forget about them and live with the new smaller set of subforums.
    Can someone from Parallax please explain why they feel that the old subforums are not needed?

I have to LOL. I deleted a post very late last night relating to being EZ to Do Business vis-a-vis customers, and how so many places seem to take them for granted or give the impression they are somehow a PITA for the business.

Ya'll complaining about something I personally am not interested in and since its in my power, I am simply not going to put it on the Big Board.

I have a more pithy word than condescending.
  • I just wanted to say that Parallax is doing a great job of addressing the issues and complaints of the community. Everyone has calmed down considerably since last week as we've gotten used to how things work now. We all love Parallax and only want the company to be seen for the great company they are.