Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ouch! Is this a hideous forum or what? I hope there is a way to tweak layout/skins whatever. — Parallax Forums

Ouch! Is this a hideous forum or what? I hope there is a way to tweak layout/skins whatever.

I typically have an adverse reaction anything familiar changing. But this is extreme!
Two thirds of the of width my screen are blank space. While the thread titles are wrapped into the narrow  column they are squeezed into. And beside them is a column of badly formatted details of the post and tiny avatars.
One third of my screen is taken up with "Home",  Logo and nav bar.
My  frikken avatar has become a grinning moron! (Might be appropriate but still)
Sorry to be so grumpy. I know every one has been working hard  on this.  

Comments

• ..embrace change...change is good...embrace change...change is good....

{deep breath}

try features....

...embrace change....change is good...

ARRGGHHHHH!!!!!! It's not working!

Maybe I'll see if I can find an answer to my question more easily....maybe it is more mobile friendly? Maybe we're just too old and grumpy?
  • I like your new avatar, don't you dare change it.
  • Thanks! It is much more appropriate!! They must have AI looking a past posts to determine the new avatar!
  • The voting system is certainly an interesting idea for forums.

Also interesting that posts can be downvoted into the negative.... sorry Rick ;)
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2015-06-30 01:00
    I hate it. Sorry.

Using Gravitar mixed some forum identities I don't want mixed, and it allows people to track others across a lot of places on the net.

The desktop site actually sort of works, but I can't use mobile and make comments. Using Mobile is so dumbed down... but I can make a comment.

I get draft saved every few seconds. Can't see what I'm writing...

Font size on my phone and tablet is too large or too small, overlaps, and is a general mess.

So, I'm going away for a while to decide what I want to do. At a minimum, I'm likely to make a new identity to escape gravatar again.

I know people are trying, so don't take it personally, but I really am not happy with this at all.

Edit time is set to an hour. Can't we at least get these common things right? That discussion happened before.

This is very likely the last post as potato head and that is due to gravitar. Look for spud sometime in the future. No joke.

• I have to agree, I don't like the waste of space on a widescreen display.
    It's 2015, responsive layout is expected.
    C.W.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    And more...

How come many users now have a post count of zero? My 13000 odd gone in a puff. Besides, if I'm reading someones post surely they have made at least 1.

This layout is so broken. On my huge screen, as I type this, there is about 20 text lines. Over fifty percent blank veritical space. That's less lines  than green screen text only terminals of days gone by!

How did this ever get by any kind of review?

Thankfully this actually look infinely better on my mobile phone. All the Smile gone. Must be the first web  site in the world that is more readable and works better on mobile :)
  • The voting system is certainly an interesting idea for forums.

Also interesting that posts can be downvoted into the negative.... sorry Rick ;)

No problem, it's just like being at home with the wife and daughter!
  • Next time, please, please use best practice, setup a beta domain, put some forum data in and let's iron out the issues.

Doing this live?

Completely unacceptable.

Later kids. Hope it works out.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140

Two thirds of the of width my screen are blank space. 

Agreed, rather large gutters / tramlines , but then gmail suffers a similar squeeze syndrome too...
    Seems we are getting stuck in a world where "someone else" always "knows best." 
    Editing seems to be able to "trap-users inside a quote ??"I had to restart post to escape the quote-vortex, which seemed to start when I edited the quoted block.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    I hate it. Sorry.

Using Gravitar mixed some forum identities I don't want mixed, and it allows people to track others across a lot of places on the net.

The desktop site actually sort of works, but I can't use mobile and make comments. Using Mobile is so dumbed down... but I can make a comment.

I get draft saved every few seconds. Can't see what I'm writing...

Font size on my phone and tablet is too large or too small, overlaps, and is a general mess.

So, I'm going away for a while to decide what I want to do. At a minimum, I'm likely to make a new identity to escape gravatar again.

I know people are trying, so don't take it personally, but I really am not happy with this at all.

Edit time is set to an hour. Can't we at least get these common things right? That discussion happened before.

This is very likely the last post as potato head and that is due to gravitar. Look for spud sometime in the future. No joke.

Just change the email that you use for the Parallax forums. Then it won't know where to pull the Gravatar image from.
    And more...

How come many users now have a post count of zero? My 13000 odd gone in a puff. Besides, if I'm reading someones post surely they have made at least 1.

This layout is so broken. On my huge screen, as I type this, there is about 20 text lines. Over fifty percent blank veritical space. That's less lines  than green screen text only terminals of days gone by!

How did this ever get by any kind of review?

Thankfully this actually look infinely better on my mobile phone. All the Smile gone. Must be the first web  site in the world that is more readable and works better on mobile :)

Your post count is still there. It's just not displayed on with the threads. If you look at your profile you'll see that you have 13,852 posts.
    This is so broken. The frikken posts are shown out of order. I see my post at 4.05am followed by a mindrobots post at 3.53am !  WTF?!

This is so broken. The frikken posts are shown out of order. I see my post at 4.05am followed by a mindrobots post at 3.53am !  WTF?!

Maybe that -2 rating makes mindrobots post sink to the bottom !? ;)
  • Posting from my phone now. It is definitely a better experience here than my desktop.

Parallax, please tell me you have a REALLY good reason for this switch...
  • This is so broken. The frikken posts are shown out of order. I see my post at 4.05am followed by a mindrobots post at 3.53am !  WTF?!

Are you sorting by Date Added or Votes?
  • Did that email change, but I have a lot of stuff well organized that will break now. Oh well.

Still, this just isn't useful to me it it's current form.

Good thing I'm gone for a while. I'll evaluate it again in a week or so.

Again, a complete change of software is not an upgrade. This should have been beta tested.
  • This is so broken. The frikken posts are shown out of order. I see my post at 4.05am followed by a mindrobots post at 3.53am !  WTF?!

It seems to sort the posts - so mine with a -2 ranking is now at the bottom of the thread. That destroys any sense of chronology in a discussion thread - topics will get mixed up.

It will be abused - don't want to see someone's post - just down vote it a lot!
  • I can't see the votes on my phone, let alone make a vote
    Sapphire,No idea I have not ventured into any setting yet. But WTF? Sorting by vote is insane. How is the flow of a conversation supposed to  survive that?
    edited 2015-06-30 01:21

Are you sorting by Date Added or Vote
    (Arrgh trapped again in quote-indenting....)You are right - default sorting by votes seems quite a bizarre choice ?!..nope, even edit is stuck inside the (miss) quote-vortex with no escape ...
  • Think of it like interrupts... :smile:
    As @Sapphire said, you'll want to sort by Date Added. The forum remembers your choice, so it will sort that way on any other threads that you view.
    And another thing. People are talking about "votes" here. I see "Flag", up arrow, 0 down arrow. They are all zero!
  • Not anymore!
    Is someone suggesting that hideous avatar monstrosity is somehow based my email address. WTF? That make it heinous as well as hideous. 
    And another thing. People are talking about "votes" here. I see "Flag", up arrow, 0 down arrow. They are all zero!

There you go, your post is now set  -2 
    Think of it like interrupts... :smile:

At least you eventually return from an interrupt ....
    edited 2015-06-30 01:30
    SRLM,
    "you'll want to sort by Date Added"
    No doubt I do. No I don't want to set the damn thing. Why not a rational default?
    edited 2015-06-30 01:30
    Heater's post now says Posts: 13,857
    (everyone else is stuck @ 00 ) ?
This discussion has been closed.