Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
X-Band motion detector — Parallax Forums

X-Band motion detector

Mag748Mag748 Posts: 263
edited 2015-05-20 09:51 in Accessories
Hello,

I have this sensor and am trying to compare it with the mini-PIR sensor. It does not seem to function so well when there is no motion. The output pulses at about 4-10 hertz when there is no motion at all anywhere in the room. See the video link that shows the output with no motion. Is there something wrong with this sensor, or is there a way to filter this extranious information out?

http://youtu.be/rZDBa7RZ1F4

Thanks,
Marcus

Comments

• Mag748Mag748 Posts: 263
    edited 2015-05-20 05:55
    Following up...I thought it might be a power supply issue (since I was running the activity board directly from the USB port yesterday) so I added a 9V psu and the results are the same.

BUT!!! Then I thought maybe I should remove the XBee S6B I had on the board, and voila! It started working perfectly. So, I'm not sure exactly what was causing the issue, but if you're using the X-Band motion detector with an XBee on an activity board, keep this in mind!

Thanks,
    Marcus.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2015-05-20 09:51
    While the X-Band and the XBee operate in different bands (frequency ranges), I could totally see if the XBee was transmitting, it overloading the input receiver of the X-Band so it doesn't operate properly. Basically washing it out with RFI noise. At that close proximity it is a possibility.