Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$9 Chip Computer: the Next RasPi? — Parallax Forums

$9 Chip Computer: the Next RasPi?

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
edited 2015-05-08 12:23 in General Discussion
http://mashable.com/2015/05/07/chip-tiny-computer/

Every week, there is something smaller, cheaper, and better. It's getting hard to keep up with the latest tech.

Kinda like Andy Warhol said, every(thing) will be famous for 15 minutes.

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    edited 2015-05-07 23:02
    Wow, that's nuts... they will never actually avoid sinking at $9 each... but i see the adapters boost the price quite quickly.

I was going to call it a fractional-pi, but it has 1GHz vs 700MHz and 512k RAM vs 256k, and 4MB of Flash vs [SD], so stacks up ok on those numbers with first Pis - benchmarks will be interesting.
    Looks to have more IO than the Pi. Worth watching.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2015-05-07 23:35
    It sounded unbelievable to me at first and then when I started looking at the specifics, it made sense. It's difficult to compare this to a Pi as the features are different enough to create problems in doing so. For this board, to get HDMI output, you need a $15 adapter board. However, a $35 Pi already has HDMI, but lacks built in WiFi/Bluetooth. But it adds additional USB, ethernet, camera port, etc. So, it's not quite apples to apples, but does show that if you are willing to do the design, it can be made. I don't think I could back a kickstarter, even at $9, if I have to wait until May of next year to get something in my hands. I would rather wait til it comes to reality and then decide or wait for something else to come out between now and then.
    I do really like the $49 Pocket CHIP concept though. With bluetooth on something like that I could see a few of my ideas coming to life easily.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,973
    edited 2015-05-07 23:35
    Then again, at $9 each, maybe you could stack a few of these up to create a super mini similar to the 64 node RPi at:

https://blog.adafruit.com/2014/03/07/raspberry-pi-64-node-supercomputer-with-lego-raspberry_pi-piday-raspberrypi/
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2015-05-08 00:10
    Doesn't look all that dissimilar to the Onion Omega, really...
    Except the Onion has a 'cleaner' look thanks to the use of a dock.
    (No unsightly lumps on top)

Backed the Onion, so I may just as well back this one, too...
    (going for the $49 'pocket' level)
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2015-05-08 00:34
    I'm backing it, as well - $24 option (HDMI). It'll actually cost me $44.

Here is a direct link to the Kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2015-05-08 00:52
    No BASIC compiler? - no support from me :)
    edited 2015-05-08 01:23
    It will run Debian Linux, so any Linux BASIC should work.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-05-08 02:00
    I so much want to hit the "Back" button on that. But...

I have so many little boards and gadgets piled up here already.

CHIP is well funded already. When it done I'm sure we can all get one if we still want it.
    edited 2015-05-08 02:35
    I wouldn't bet on it.
    So many projects have so tight margins that there's just no money left over to build a proper inventory.
    Sure, they usually have some extra, but some disappear as replacements for OA(Dead On Arrival) or for units lost in the mail.
    And when those stocks disappear, and it's time to order more... where will they get the money for a full production run?
  • tritoniumtritonium Posts: 539
    edited 2015-05-08 05:57
    No BASIC compiler? - no support from me
    It will run Debian Linux, so any Linux BASIC should work.

FreeBasic runs under raspian on the Pi

Dave
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-05-08 06:35
    Whoa, you have a Linux machine capable of running pretty much any language there is and you want to use BASIC on it!

Why did we bother with the past four and a half decades of development in programming languages?

Luckily we can run FORTRAN on these things so I'm happy:)
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2015-05-08 08:43
    Even though a BeagleBoneBlack is collecting dust on a shelf somewhere, I'm jumping on this offer! High utility, low cost. Cheap enough that I can afford to dedicate it to a specific use. It will free up a more expensive board for use elsewhere.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-05-08 09:01
    I signed up. With "need" not being a component of the equation, I looked at it as a cheaper way to fill up my cabinet of (possibly dusty) development boards. When the cabinet is full, I will either have to face getting a new cabinet or seeking professional help! :D

Now, where did I see that sale on cabinets??
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2015-05-08 09:17
    mindrobots wrote: »
    I signed up. With "need" not being a component of the equation, I looked at it as a cheaper way to fill up my cabinet of (possibly dusty) development boards. When the cabinet is full, I will either have to face getting a new cabinet or seeking professional help! :D

Now, where did I see that sale on cabinets??

Much respect to my fellow hoarder.
    edited 2015-05-08 09:28
    erco wrote: »
    Much respect to my fellow hoarder.

Since this is in support of a Kickstarter, I like to think of myself as a "Venture Hoarder" or "Entrepreneurial Hoarder"!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2015-05-08 11:14
    I like that. I'm not a hoarder, I'm a Business Angel ! Sounds so much better...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_investor
    edited 2015-05-08 11:19
    I'm an IKEA black-belter, and need something to fill all those shelves, cabinets and boxes....
    edited 2015-05-08 12:04
    Gadgetman wrote: »
    I'm an IKEA black-belter, and need something to fill all those shelves, cabinets and boxes....

That's a fresh approach! The problem isn't with you hoarding gadgets, the problem is your addiction to building IKEA which leaves you with empty space that naturally (Physics demands it!) must be filled!
    edited 2015-05-08 12:23
    They tried to make a 12-step program to cure my addiction once, but...
    Giving me a set of easy-to-follow instructions to stop using easy-to-follow instructions... D@ng near caused the universe to implode...
    So I'm stuck assembling shelves and filling them with gadgets...
  • $9 computer arrived today. Cute. Nifty. Powerful. But it baffles me how Next Thing could be making a single cent off these boards, now or ever.
  • Aren't they cute!!!!

I don't know how they are making money either.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    And the $5.00 PiZero may put a halt to it even if they are making something.
  • kwinn wrote: »

kind of funny that I now pay more for a pack of cigarettes, then for a PiZero.

I just need to stop smoking and can get a 300+ computer system in a year.

weird

Mike
  • Would be nice to see something similar happening with Smartphones.
    msrobots wrote: »
    kwinn wrote: »

kind of funny that I now pay more for a pack of cigarettes, then for a PiZero.

I just need to stop smoking and can get a 300+ computer system in a year.

weird

Mike

And live longer so that you can use it. :-)

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2015-12-29 12:23
    Here in Oz I think a packet of cigs is around $40 now so that is something like $2 per cigarette. So, about 2 1/2 cigs per Raspberry Pi Zero :)

Now if I could just get my latest prop board down to $5. But the envelope, anti static bag, and postage is almost $4 :( And Australia Post are talking about some serious price increases too.
  • kwinn wrote: »

I doubt it. PiZero is missing both WiFi and Bluetooth, as well as battery support. If someone wants to do wireless IoT (think ESP8266 alternative), CHIP will be a cheaper alternative than any of the Pi offerings.
  • With P1 Verilog now available we just need to convince one of the SoC vendors to put a P1v in the corner of one of their SoCs! The transistor could should be lost in the noise with all of the other stuff on the SoC. :-)
  • Mickster wrote: »
    Would be nice to see something similar happening with Smartphones.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seeed/rephone-kit-worlds-first-open-source-and-modular-p
  • David Betz wrote: »
    With P1 Verilog now available we just need to convince one of the SoC vendors to put a P1v in the corner of one of their SoCs! The transistor could should be lost in the noise with all of the other stuff on the SoC. :-)

We could call it ESPropeller8266! :)