Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee to Computer — Parallax Forums

XBee to Computer

plau45plau45 Posts: 109
edited 2015-04-15 16:20 in Accessories
I am wanting to use an XBee 900HP module to connect a drone to a computer that also has the same xbee module. I want to connect the controller side xbee to a computer and run a flight controller on my computer and send that data to the drone. I know there is an xstick but that doesn't have enough range. I have a windows computer and I was wanting to know what components would I need to make a small xbee to computer set up for it. I would like to plug into the USB 2.0 slots on my computer also. Please post replies. Thanks.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-04-14 11:13
  • plau45plau45 Posts: 109
    edited 2015-04-14 12:20
    Ok so this will allow me to both receive and transmit data from a gui or serial terminal on my computer to and from my drone? Thanks.
    edited 2015-04-14 12:21
    Also could I just use an activity board? Of course with the xbee as well.
    edited 2015-04-14 12:41
    plau45 wrote: »
    Also could I just use an activity board? Of course with the xbee as well.

Yes but you'd need a program in the Activity Board to pass the serial data through. These are often called "serial bridges."

It should be possible to have the Activity Board do other things besides just acting as a serial bridge.
    edited 2015-04-14 12:43
    Ok so this will allow me to both receive and transmit data from a gui or serial terminal on my computer to and from my drone? Thanks.

The PC would need a program to interface with the "virtual serial port" (I think that's what they're called).

I've been involved with projects which use a serial interface between PC and Propeller but my job has always been to write the Propeller software. I've never written the PC side of the software.
    edited 2015-04-14 20:42
    I was wondering if you could use a key board with the ab to input int values to be sent to my drone and control different motors.
    edited 2015-04-14 21:14
    I was wondering if you could use a key board with the ab to input int values to be sent to my drone and control different motors.

Yes, The Activity board can interface with a keyboard but it needs to be a PS/2 type of keyboard. It may be possible to use a USB keyboard but it's not as easy to do so as a PS/2 keyboard. You'll need an adapter to connect the keyboard to your PAB. There are some Propeller boards which include a PS/2 adapter (though I'm not sure if these boards are still made).

It's also possible to use a keypad to enter numeric (and other) values.

I've used keypads like this one with the Propeller.

attachment.php?attachmentid=103490&d=1377232308
    edited 2015-04-15 08:35
    Ok new plan Duane. I have a Microsoft surface that I want to use as a controller. I want to design a basic program like the NAVCOM AI program but have it show the location of my drone on a map via GPS cords. I want to be able to input the velocity and other values for motors manually as well as being able to use two analog joysticks I built into the app that I could use when the drone is with in the visible range of the user. I planned on using a helicopter design much like the AH-64 Apache and put a small air soft gun in the nose to use with air soft. I just need to make the program and make an xbee to PC module like the one you said I should get. I just want to be able to place it in the USB slot on my tablet to control it. My question is how would I transmit the data from a JavaScript code to the c code I plan on using. How would I know what variables are what when transmitting.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-04-15 09:05
    Ok new plan Duane. I have a Microsoft surface that I want to use as a controller. I want to design a basic program like the NAVCOM AI program but have it show the location of my drone on a map via GPS cords. I want to be able to input the velocity and other values for motors manually as well as being able to use two analog joysticks I built into the app that I could use when the drone is with in the visible range of the user. I planned on using a helicopter design much like the AH-64 Apache and put a small air soft gun in the nose to use with air soft. I just need to make the program and make an xbee to PC module like the one you said I should get. I just want to be able to place it in the USB slot on my tablet to control it. My question is how would I transmit the data from a JavaScript code to the c code I plan on using. How would I know what variables are what when transmitting.

Are there any Parallax products involved other that the XBEE? You have not mentioned them.

Another good resource would be :

http://diydrones.com/
    edited 2015-04-15 15:18
    The drone and controller involve 2 activity boards and all the motors and things with the drone are from parallax.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-04-15 16:07
    I know Duane has on of these:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/133249-XBEE-Robot-Controller-32-Channel

Basically XBee to XBEE and it works well. As Duane mentioned, the PC side is up to you. There may be a few PC side programs, but I can't put my finger on any right now. That's whY I recommended looking at diyDRONES.COM.
    edited 2015-04-15 16:20
    Ah ok sweet I'll do that. Thanks