Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Diptrace Initiative — Parallax Forums

Diptrace Initiative

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2015-04-08 11:17 in General Discussion
Since it looks like Parallax is pushing toward Diptrace. (see the homepage.)

I'm curious if we could collaborate on a library for parts commonly used with the Propeller and BASIC Stamp. For instance, I couldn't find a library part for the MCP3208, so I created the one attached.

Anyone want to share efforts here?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7557533/shared/MCP3208.eli

OBC

Comments

• davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2011-03-22 21:28
    Member Paul was asking about starting a DipTrace forum:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130406-DIpTrace-forum-needed

DJ
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2011-03-23 02:00
    Yes, we should begin a collaborative effort for DipTrace libraries that will benefit Parallax customers. Take note however, that Novarm (DipTrace) already has many of Parallax's items in their new Parallax Library that is available with DipTrace Beta 2.1.9. I couldn't find a way to export the list from the library easily, but quite a few parts are in there.

Also, the new 3D feature is pretty slick. I am still trying to figure out how to easily peruse the 3D models, but I was able to get about half of the Gadget Gangster PPUSB board populated......

GGPPUSB_3dtest.jpg
    645 x 572 - 90K
    edited 2011-03-23 10:24
    Two additional comments:

1) If we do create a collaborative effort for library items, criteria should be established for what qualifies an item as "complete". In other words, there are a lot of fields for each component or pattern and there needs to be an understanding of what the minimum level of data is expected for an item. For example, components (schematic items) should have the net names loaded properly, etc and footprints (PCB layout items) should have appropriate silkscreen features like polarity marks, etc.

2) If a component is created for use on schematics, it should either be tied to a standard pattern or a custom pattern should be created for it. For example, I created a schematic symbol for the SHT11, but don't have an appropriate footprint linked to it. So, if I share the schematic, people can actually use DipTrace as intended to convert the schematic to a PCB as opposed to getting errors that state the item has no footprint assigned.

on a side note, sorry Nick, I did the 3D in green instead of the Gadget Gangster blue. I'll fix that tonight! :cool:
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-03-23 11:48
    @Andrew

Yes, I agree.. Perhaps two different status types could be used. In the case of my MCP3208 file, it isn't complete, (mostly because I'm new at Diptrace) but was enough to get a usable schematic working.

So how about a bin for "in process" and "complete" Diptrace items.

Are there any ready-to-use methods we could use for sharing?

OBC
  • Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
    edited 2011-03-23 12:01
    @WBA - Ha! I haven't downloaded the beta yet, I'll have to give it a whirl. I was always jealous of the 3d capabilities of some of the fancier packages, I think it can be useful for visualizing the board, clearance, etc. And hopefully you can change the mask color :)

I've long shared my diptrace library (gglib.lib), and footprints can be easily grabbed from any dip file. There are some impediments to a centralized Diptrace library, but it's tractable. Biggest problem I can think of is that footprints and schematics exist in different libraries; they're just linked. Maybe distribute 2 big files - one schematic and one footprint library? Wouldn't it be cool if you could add a library / footprint that was stored on a remote server - it would just update when you opened diptrace?

I'd also prefer to have a bigger library of footprints - It's a lot easier to start with someone's half finished part than to build everything from scratch.
  • bradharperbradharper Posts: 64
    edited 2011-03-23 12:33
    I'll definitely share the parts I've accumulated.
    edited 2011-03-23 18:22
    GGPPUSB_3dtest-blu.jpg

Much better! (except for the low resolution of my laptop making a poor screen capture)
    614 x 571 - 104K
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2011-03-24 06:30
    Great idea OBC. I'm in. I've been making making some patterns for common memory components (a la C3).

One thing I haven't worked out is whether you can have a "block" of say 6 ICs present as a single footprint, complete with localized track routing within that footprint.

A Diptrace forum would be a good idea as some conventions and standards would be beneficial
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-03-24 08:23
    The Pulsonix software I use has a function like that. It's called "Apply Layout Pattern", and is very useful.
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2011-03-24 17:51
    It is interesting that Diptrace on the Parallax web site is right up there on the menu bar with all the main selections, Basic Stamp,Robots, and so on. Makes me wonder if Parallax purchase Diptrace.
    I am considering purchasing Diptrace but this makes me wonder if there will be a Parallax version and I should
    wait for that.

Tom
    edited 2011-03-24 21:51
    Parallax simply chose DipTrace as their mainstream PCB design software and will also be sharing any open source designs in this format. Check out the following links:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?128576-EAGLE-or-DipTrace&highlight=diptrace
    http://forums.parallax.com/entry.php?179-DipTrace-update
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-03-25 05:06
    I am confused....
    Why open source designs based on a closed source software.
    Shouldn't they be advocating open source software instead?
  • novarmnovarm Posts: 17
    edited 2011-03-25 08:15
    Parallax did not purchase DipTrace, but became US distributor: http://www.diptrace.com/dealers.php (as part of our partnership). We have included complete Parallax library and will also include Parallax open designs into our examples soon. The next step will be DipTrace video-tutorials with Parallax open designs.

You can download 300-pin version for free and also get free reg. key for 500-pins non-profit Lite version (it can open designs of any size, you are just limited in adding new parts). We can not make DipTrace open-source as we are working full-time on the project, rent office, etc. and do not have big company investing us just for development of open-source. Paid customers also force us to make quality product. Instead we have tried to make it affordable and to compete in features with more expensive packages.

Regards,
    Stanislav Ruev
    DipTrace Team
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2011-03-25 09:29
    @WBA Thank's for the links, I cannot believe I missed the latest Blog on it so I guess I will have to scroll into Blog entrys instead of just a quick look at
    the one that is there when you click on Blog.

@novarm Thank's for the info. If I buy today will I get the version with all the Parallax parts or is that only in DipTrace version 2.1.9 BETA which is
    coming soon.

Tom
  • novarmnovarm Posts: 17
    edited 2011-03-25 09:51
    Only 2.1.9 beta have Parallax parts. The registration key you get will be accepted by both existing version and beta and then all 2.x updates.

Please be attentive while using beta as we have added many new features and many bugs are possible - we are now testing and fixing them :) Also several updates of beta will be published before official release.
    edited 2011-03-25 10:13
    Why open source designs based on a closed source software.
    Shouldn't they be advocating open source software instead?

There is a big difference between an open source design and open source PCB design software and the two don't really have any correlation. The goal is to bring a rich solution to the user community for PCB designs related to Parallax products and the available open source PCB software packages that are currently available simply just don't cut it. Programs like FreePCB or KiCAD will always lack some key features and abilities that will make them lower on the list of desired software packages. The DipTrace software package has a good market base so they are not going anywhere and Novarm is consistently releasing improved versions of the product.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,614
    edited 2015-04-07 20:06
    I couldn't find a library part for the MCP3208, so I created the one attached.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7557533/shared/MCP3208.eli

Do you still have this? The dropbox link is dead.

Thanks.

EDIT: It seems Parallax now uses Altium Designer for most of their boards, but it seemed they once had a partnership with Novarm. What happened? DipTrace has a free version, but Altium Designer doesn't (as far as I can tell), meaning that open-source boards (like the Propeller Activity Board) that Parallax releases in Altium Designer format are effectively closed-source to me. Is there anything that can import Altium Designer boards?
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2015-04-08 10:17
    Electrodude,

The Propeller Activity Board and Propeller Board of Education are both older products that were created in Altium, before we started primarily using DipTrace, and they are outside the capabilities of the free version of DipTrace. We are working on an update to the Propeller Activity Board, and when the update is ready, we will release DipTrace files for the new version. If you would like, I could post a copy of the current Propeller Activity Board layout imported to DipTrace, but the edport process mangles the silk-screen markings, the schematic won't carry over, so it will be the layout only, and you will need at least 'DipTrace Standard Edition' to edit the files.

Also, we do still have a partnership with Novarm, including a page for assistance in purchasing DipTrace from Novarm. When we first partnered with them, they had limited payment options, so we resold DipTrace, but they have since upgraded their payment options, so now we link directly to each product's page in the DipTrace web store. It required some workarounds for our web engine to support this, so when it happened the URL changed, but if you search our site for 'DipTrace', the first result is a link to the aforementioned page.

— David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-04-08 10:44
    Thanks for that update David.

Jim
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,614
    edited 2015-04-08 11:17
    OK, thanks. I was hoping I could use an existing Parallax board as a starting point, but then I realized that it's not all that much work to do it from scratch. I have a basic propeller setup so far; the only problems I know of right now are about voltage regulators and capacitor placement across the Prop's power lines and peripherals like the MCP3208 part. I could probably just make my own MCP3208 part if OBC doesn't still have his, and I have a vague idea about the recommended capacitor placement and can probably just visually cheat off of other Parallax boards.