I have a Propeller BoE
LM34 temperature sensor (how to convert to Celsius).?l
Polar Heart Rate Transmitter
Polar Heart Rate Receiver
XBee Wi-Fi S6B
Using Spin

I created an account on Device Cloud ..I get results on xbee wifi cloud and PST
so my questions are

1. how to send reading (results) to specific server to store it on database or (text file for now)using the xbee (wiring?? , coding?)
2. how to reset the xbee? I tried use xcto but it couldn't find the xbee .. may be I should reset it first ?
3. can I use the two sensors (or more) at the same time and get readings? if yes how to wire and code that ?

please help .....

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-02-17 07:14
    Temperature conversion: Celsius = ((Farenheit – 32) x 5 ) / 9.
    edited 2015-02-17 12:48
    Sorry for the partial answer in post 2. Had to deal with an emergency.
    1. how to send reading (results) to specific server to store it on database or (text file for now)using the xbee (wiring?? , coding?)

Depends on the database. I would try a text file with comma separators first. Easy to import to a spreadsheet and import to a lot of databases.
    2. how to reset the xbee? I tried use xcto but it couldn't find the xbee .. may be I should reset it first ?

Reset could be done by a propeller pin via the multi-purpose socket if needed.
    3. can I use the two sensors (or more) at the same time and get readings? if yes how to wire and code that ?

Analog sensors could be connected to the adc like the lm34 is now and sent to the xbee by the propeller. Connecting, reading, and sending data from other sensors would would vary based on the specific sensor interface. You need to be a bit more specific and list the sensors you want to use.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-02-17 14:02
    People might want to take a look at this other thread before replying to see if they are repeating what has already been suggested.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/158187-Healthcare-Monitoring

Apparently the "Device Cloud" is a service provided by Digi.
  • kidkid Posts: 19
    edited 2015-02-17 16:11
    Thank you .....
    can you give more details on answer 1 . 2 how to do that ?
    on database what I need to know : domain address , name , port number ? how to code it ?
    for Q.3 what if want to use LM34 and Polar Heart Rate Receiver ? how to wire and code it ?

thanks again...............
    edited 2015-02-17 19:38
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    People might want to take a look at this other thread before replying to see if they are repeating what has already been suggested.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/158187-Healthcare-Monitoring

Apparently the "Device Cloud" is a service provided by Digi.

Thanks for pointing that out.
    edited 2015-02-17 19:42
    kid wrote: »
    Thank you .....
    can you give more details on answer 1 . 2 how to do that ?
    on database what I need to know : domain address , name , port number ? how to code it ?
    for Q.3 what if want to use LM34 and Polar Heart Rate Receiver ? how to wire and code it ?

thanks again...............

kid, can you post a block diagram of all four modules and the sensors that shows how you want to connect them as a starting point?
    edited 2015-02-18 15:05
    The sensors read signal from the patients, then transmit it using wireless connection to the receiver which collect the readings, make necessary calculation then send the results to the database server. whenever the user call the information, the server send it to a graphical interface in order to they can read it easily.

how to send the results to the database server using xbee?
    can I use two sensors at the same time ?
    sorry for repeating questions.....
    edited 2015-02-19 08:22
    Repeating the questions without posting the information we need to understand what you are trying to accomplish will not get you answers. Right now you have incomplete bits of information split between two posts. From that all we can do is guess at how things are connected and the path of the sensor readings through the various modules. You need to post a clear diagram and/or explanation of how the sensors and modules are connected and how the information flows.
    edited 2015-02-19 19:30
    I don't understand your point from "modules" ? can you show examples of it ?
    I told that I'm a beginner......
    edited 2015-02-20 08:05
    I have gone through your posts in the other thread and this one again. If you are getting correct sensor readings on PST as you posted then what is left is basically the setup of the xbee. To do that you need to go through the setup procedure in the xbee manual step by step.
    edited 2015-02-20 19:00
    first of all THANK YOU
    ok that what I'm asking about......xbee codes(or configuration) to send reading to database server ??

I tried to use two sensors (LM34 and Polar Heart Rate) at the same time ...I couldn't ....is that possible ? if yes what is the codes ?
    sorry for insisting....................
    edited 2015-02-20 20:10
    I am guessing that the LM34 is connected to one of the Polar Heart Rate Receiver analog inputs. Is that correct?
    edited 2015-02-21 12:48
    no it is not ........
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,740
    edited 2015-02-23 14:39
    Kid,

It's best if you take clear pictures of your wiring and post them along with the Spin code you are using.
    As to your question about using more than one sensor, it depends of how often you need the sensors checked.
    edited 2015-02-23 18:02
    are not there general (configuration or codes) for xbee that make it send data to a database ?
    is usb adapter is necessary to use xctu ?
    edited 2015-02-26 11:00
    Kid,

What is your ultimate goal because I don't think Device Cloud is designed to do what you say you want to do. Device Cloud appears to be designed to interact with the XBee Wi-Fi module directly based on what settings you specify. Digi has several examples on their website of hooking up different sensors directly to the XBee Wi-Fi, configuring the XBee using X-CTU or Device Cloud, and then adding Widgets in Device Cloud. I don't know if there is a COUNT widget which is what you would need to measure heart-beat.

The older XBee Wi-Fi Development Kit shows how easy it is to make XBee's talk to one another, and Chris Savage of Parallax did a great demo of a Propeller talking to another Propeller in Norway. Communicating with a website is a different matter though as a Sparkfun Tutorial using the Arduino shows. Sparkfun created their own website application for the Arduino to talk to.
    https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/internet-datalogging-with-arduino-and-xbee-wifi

You need to contact the makers of Device Cloud and ask them how to communicate with a microcontroller instead of the XBee directly, if that is even possible.

You asked about X-CTU needing USB and the truth is X-CTU talks to the XBee using serial but most PCs today only have USB. If you look at any XBee USB Adapater Board, such as the Parallax 32400, you will see that it has a Serial-to-USB chip on it.

I don't know how you combined the Heart Beat and LM34 programs together because they both work differently. The Heart Beat program loops continuously without a delay while the LM34 program delays for 1/35 of a second on every loop. Also notice that the LM34 program has code for sending text to a VGA monitor. The Propeller chip can send video to a TV or VGA monitor and the VGA interface circuit is already on your Board of Education.

Apparently you want to send data to a database or store it on a file. Did you know that the Board of Education has an SD Card interface?
    http://learn.parallax.com/node/364
    The Propeller can also use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse with 2 of these adapters.
    http://www.parallax.com/product/28060

Take a look at the section that starts at page 128. On page 134 you can see a screenshot of StampPlot (now called MakerPlot) which works similar to Device Cloud but runs on a PC.
    Look at this StampPlot screenshot on page 139. On page 149 you can see the Propeller doing a similar display on a TV.
    http://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/122-32450-XBeeTutorial-v1.0.1.pdf
    edited 2015-03-04 11:39
    I did some more research on XBee modules and Device Cloud.

The free Developer edition account is limited to a device transaction every 5 seconds.
    The XBee Wi-Fi though can have a maximum sample rate of 3 ms.
    The XBee Wi-Fi Cloud Kit uses a web application that unfortunately doesn't have a Counting widget.
    There is an AT-Command, called IC or DIO Change Detect, where the XBee will only transmit when at Input changes state, such as with the Heart Rate Monitor.
    The XBee Wi-Fi has a Maximum Analog Input voltage of 2-1/2 Volts.

XBee modules can be configured using X-CTU, Device Cloud, a uC (micro-controller), or remotely (if enabled by the other methods).
    The modules can also be configured manually using a serial Terminal.

Device Cloud could use the Heart Rate Monitor if the Propeller counts heart beats and then feeds the XBee a BPM as a voltage to one of it's Analog inputs.
    A voltage divider circuit is needed since the Propeller uses 3.3V but the XBee can't take anything above 2.5V.
    There are also Frequency-to-Voltage ICs that do the same thing.
    edited 2015-03-14 14:33
    how to send readings to a database ?....or send it to file (txt???) in domain ?.......or at least store it in a file of pc ??
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2015-03-14 20:19
    http://www.etherios.com/products/devicecloud/connector

Connect any device to Device Cloud with Cloud Connector. Available for Android, Java SE/ME, Embedded and Kinetis devices, the family of connectors simplifies the process of managing dynamic device infrastructures and makes it easy to deploy devices and applications.

Incredibly small memory footprint
    Supports any device operating platform
    Two-way messaging for full cloud-to-device messaging and control
    Device management and troubleshooting tools, including configuration edits, firmware updates and device reboots
    Application development tools
    Remote file system management
    Secure connections

- See more at: http://www.etherios.com/products/devicecloud/connector#sthash.Y6wdUOmj.dpuf
    edited 2015-03-17 12:45
    Kid,

Once configured XBee transmit whatever they receive so how you talk to a database, domain, or PC depends on how it is setup.
    As far as your program is concerned, it will only use the XBee transmit and receive commands.

Do you know anything about the database, domain, or PC you will be using?

I know StampPlot (MakerPlot), which is a PC application, has a command for writing data to a file, and it's very easy to use.