Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cheapest Windows Based Propeller Dev Platform found at Office Max - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Cheapest Windows Based Propeller Dev Platform found at Office Max

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-02-13 08:34
    There are several updates available for the HP Stream 7 mode 5701 including

BIOS update 1/6/2015 - sp70275
    LAN drivers 1/14/2015 - sp70339
    Bluetooth drivers 1/14/2015 - sp70340
    Intel Chipset, Graphics, Camera and Audio Driver Pack 1/14/2015 - sp70337

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Stream-Tablets/7439994/model/7482041/drivers

Ron,
    I'm kinda' reluctant to upgrade software as it's running just peachy now. Did you find they gave you any enhancements?
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2015-02-13 08:50
    Publison wrote: »
    Ron,
    I'm kinda' reluctant to upgrade software as it's running just peachy now. Did you find they gave you any enhancements?

Actually I am resolving an issue now - I think the Bluetooth driver is problematic - more info to come....
    edited 2015-02-13 08:59
    DO NOT INSTALL the BLUETOOTH DRIVERS

I ended up with no Bluetooth devices working and an unidentified device in Device manager (for which no driver could be found locally or online)

I ran the System Restore and everything seems normal now.

Maybe I should rethink my approach to updates - like if it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-02-13 09:14

Maybe I should rethink my approach to updates - like if it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

My reaction when it comes to MS products! :)
    edited 2015-02-13 09:29
    Publison wrote: »
    My reaction when it comes to MS products! :)

I believe HP (or Realtek) probably developed the Bluetooth driver
    I posted a message in the HP Community forum relating to the issue:
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/HP-Stream-7-Bluetooh-driver-issue-sp70340-exe/td-p/4888199
    Fixes an issue where the Bluetooth module in the system does not pair properly with HP Bluetooth Mini speakers
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2015-02-17 16:11
    I took advantage of the offer RobotWorkshop mentioned. I love the tablet! But the push to use Bing and various Microsoft services to do everything was momentarily suffocating. Thank goodness all that stifling nonsense can be suppressed. Maybe I'm alone, but I really dislike how MS pushes MSN. It is also dismaying how many users just leave MSN and its nonstop trickle of political, pop, and Hollywood drivel flowing.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-02-18 08:41
    You're not alone. I hate the drivel some companies try to push on us, and MS is not the only one. I will be very careful about choosing my next phone, and Apple will most definitely not be on the menu. After trying to remove several of the crApps on my iPhone I am of the opinion that their logo could be made more representative of the company by adding a swastika to the apple.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-02-18 09:54
    I bought one too!

To think, these were the "clean" versions that Microsoft sells - unburdened by all the third party add on stuff that plagues commodity PC's these days. At least it is unburdened by anyone except Microsoft! In poking around, I saw that the Windows edition on it is actually called: "Windows 8.1 with Bing" How lucky we are that they did not give us JUST Windows 8.1!

A couple of settings and questions said they were to provide me with the best "user experience"...at least one time I was told it was to provide me with the best "advertising experience"! To me the best advertising experience is NONE - not an option!!

Aside from all that, I do like the little guy. The screen looks good, the touch sensitivity is good (I have an old Samsung Tab 2 that frustrates me to no end with its touch screen. At time, it feels like you need to beat it with a stick to get it to respond). I haven't done much beyond some web surfing, Kindle reading and maybe a Netflix or two but it has performed well.

I'm looking forward tor trying more with it. For $79, I could have done worse!
    edited 2015-02-18 11:15
    Regarding BitLocker encryption on Windows 8.1

The HP Stream 7 has "Windows 8.1 with Bing", a 32 bit version and apparently a "standard" version.

A Windows 8.1 Professional feature is BitLocker and BitLocker ToGo. While the system drive (C:) on the HP Stream 7 is encrypted with BitLocker (with a TPM chip), it apparently is a limited implementation.

I wanted to encrypt the 32GB SD card I added to my tablet, but it seems that can not be done with this version of Windows 8.1.

Since the SD card can be easily removed if the tablet is lost or stolen, being able to encrypt would really be beneficial. I've researched BitLocker (on Win8.1) and as far as I can tell, you can only use it on the Professional and higher versions - it can't be downloaded and separately installed on the standard version.
  • Roxanna77Roxanna77 Posts: 18
    edited 2015-02-19 15:34
    Thanks to this thread getting started, I have had a Stream 7 since December! The best $99 I've ever spent on computer hardware. I link mine to bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and use the USB for programming Propellers and Launchpads. MIcro computer for micro controllers, makes sense, right? I liked the OS enough to swap my Android phone for a Windows phone.
    The only problem I have had with my Stream 7 is the WIFI, after left idle often the WIFI signal is there, but no internet. I run ipconfig /flushdns and WIFI is happy again.
    edited 2015-02-20 11:31
    Roxanna77 wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread getting started, I have had a Stream 7 since December! The best $99 I've ever spent on computer hardware. I link mine to bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and use the USB for programming Propellers and Launchpads. MIcro computer for micro controllers, makes sense, right? I liked the OS enough to swap my Android phone for a Windows phone.
    The only problem I have had with my Stream 7 is the WIFI, after left idle often the WIFI signal is there, but no internet. I run ipconfig /flushdns and WIFI is happy again.

Roxanna,
    Do you have the latest WiFi adapter driver? The HP tablet support forum has several threads pertaining to WiFi issues.
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/bd-p/Windows_Tablets

You can check the driver version in Device Manager - mine is:

Realtek RTL8723BS 802.11n SDIO Network Adapter - 3007.10.1031.2014

You can download it from here: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70001-70500/sp70339.exe
    edited 2015-02-20 17:15
    F.Y.I.

I just received a phone call (and email) from a Case Manager at HP regarding the issue I had with the Bluetooth driver for the HP Stream 7.

See post #90

There is a case number assigned to the problem and technical support has the details. I told her about the Parallax forum and our interest in the HP stream tablet.

She was very polite and said feel free to contact her if needed. I hope they can figure out the driver problem.
  • redheadedrodredheadedrod Posts: 78
    edited 2015-02-22 01:25
    I have a TW802 from Microcenter. It has an 8" screen and has decent specs. I have been using it now for a month. Not sure what the difference between the TW801 and TW802 is. The TW801 has USB3 and TW802 has USB2. They told me the TW802 has a better screen but the specs seemed the same.

It had 20 gig free ram when booted up before adding any software. You can regain another 4gig if you remove the restore partition. It will also support a MicroSD card and can use it as a second drive to load software on.

It has a Micro HDMI port on it, a Micro USB for charging only, a standard audio output (And Maybe Mic? Like a cell phone but not 100% sure. ) And a standard USB port.

It is much faster than the $200 Dell Dual core Celeron laptop I bought there at the same time for my school work.

They also have a 7" win 8.1 tablet for $99 as well but the TW801 I believe was $119 and the upgrade would have been worth it. I got my TW802 for $129. They also have a 10" but I think that was $199. Can look on Microcenter for their current pricing. Only issue I have seen with it so far is I used a generic bluetooth keyboard with it and it seemed to lag. Using a USB mouse or keyboard worked great. The on screen keyboard is ok. I really need to find a better one. I am spoiled by my SWIPE on my android phone and tablets.

Rodney
    edited 2015-02-26 15:18
    Roxanna,
    Do you have the latest WiFi adapter driver? The HP tablet support forum has several threads pertaining to WiFi issues.
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/bd-p/Windows_Tablets

You can check the driver version in Device Manager - mine is:

Realtek RTL8723BS 802.11n SDIO Network Adapter - 3007.10.1031.2014

You can download it from here: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70001-70500/sp70339.exe

Thank you Ron!
    My WIFI issue is fixed with that driver upgrade. :)
    Now, maybe you have ideas for how to make it charge and use USB at same time? I did see that there is a $80 Dell "dock" that works, but that's a bit pricey.
    edited 2015-02-26 15:41
    Thank you Ron!
    My WIFI issue is fixed with that driver upgrade. :)
    Now, maybe you have ideas for how to make it charge and use USB at same time? I did see that there is a $80 Dell "dock" that works, but that's a bit pricey.

Great Roxy! Glad it worked for you.

According to this thread on the HP Support forum, the "Dell™ Micro USB Dongle for Data and Charging" for $20 works.

HP Thread
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/USBOTG-and-Charge-Simultaneously-on-Stream-8/m-p/4840777/highlight/true#M7126

Dongle
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=470-ABES&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch&dgc=CJ&cid=47997&lid=4279734&acd=10550055-4485850-eb75dcb47e53437680ed323a1f4885fe

EDIT: I ordered the dongle from DELL.

I will post more info to this thread after I get the dongle and try it.

I think you should be able to use a powered USB with it to handle multiple USB devices.
    edited 2015-03-02 13:54
    Dongle
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=470-ABES&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch&dgc=CJ&cid=47997&lid=4279734&acd=10550055-4485850-eb75dcb47e53437680ed323a1f4885fe

I think you should be able to use a powered USB with it to handle multiple USB devices.

OK - here is my result so far with the Dell power/data dongle.

To test it I am using one of the USB "CHARGER Doctor" LED meters erco put us on to in this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/156830-1.78-USB-Power-Monitor

These readings are all taken with the tablet on and the screen brightness at approx 50%.

Normally when the HP Stream 7 USB charger is plugged in, the Windows task bar shows the battery symbol with an AC plug symbol left of the battery.
    In this normal charging scenario (with the battery at %100), the Charger Doctor shows 5.22V and approx 0.65A to 0.72A.

With the HP charger connected to the Dell dongle, and the tablet NOT connected, it shows 5.13V and 0.00A. Looks right...

With the charger plugged into the dongle and the dongle plugged into the tablet, the reading is: 5.20V and 0.47A.
    It would appear that the tablet is being charged - just at a slower rate. However. the taskbar power icon shows the battery but NOT the AC plug (as in the normal charging scenario).
    The battery status continues to report 100% remaining capacity after 30 minutes several hours in this configuration.
    I will leave it like this for a while. Playing mp4 videos doesn't seem to affect the readings.

A flash drive plugged into the dongle pops up as a removable drive as you would expect - just like a straight OTG cable.

Edit: It's been close to 2 hours and the batt. status is still %100 - the current being drawn dropped to 0.17A. Windows went into sleep mode during that time frame.
    Looking good to me!
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2015-03-05 10:10
    Here is another possible OTG charging adapter with a built-in Hub that may be good to use for this system: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FGKXY9S

It has pass through charging and a couple full size USB ports. If the USB hub is powered by the charger then this would be a handy adapter to get.
    edited 2015-03-05 11:18
    Here is another possible OTG charging adapter with a built-in Hub that may be good to use for this system: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FGKXY9S

It has pass through charging and a couple full size USB ports. If the USB hub is powered by the charger then this would be a handy adapter to get.

Looks like a good deal. I have seen various HP forum questions and even YouTube videos saying that Y-Cables don't charge the tablet but if people are basing that on the taskbar icon rather than actual current flow I can see the problem.

I backed up my tablet to an external USB drive (which uses a AC power supply) yesterday. The power status showed 97% to start and 100% when the backup finished. Obviously the Dell dongle was charging during that process.

I posted a comment to Lon regarding this video to let him know about the Dell cable
    edited 2015-03-11 14:41
    Great Roxy! Glad it worked for you.

According to this thread on the HP Support forum, the "Dell™ Micro USB Dongle for Data and Charging" for $20 works.

HP Thread
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/USBOTG-and-Charge-Simultaneously-on-Stream-8/m-p/4840777/highlight/true#M7126

Dongle

Thanks again Ron! I got my Dell dongle today (free shipping at Dell.com), and its working great. It charges slow, but it charges while I have a propeller Quickstart running away with an LED demo. Now my micro PC is complete :)
    edited 2015-03-11 15:14
    Thanks again Ron! I got my Dell dongle today (free shipping at Dell.com), and its working great. It charges slow, but it charges while I have a propeller Quickstart running away with an LED demo. Now my micro PC is complete :)

Great Roxy!

There may be cheaper alternatives out there but, without knowing whether these adapters are simple splitters vs. having some internal circuitry,
    and/or whether Android vs. Windows tablets are designed differently (regarding charging thru the microUSB), it's kind of guessing game. ;)
    edited 2015-03-11 16:46
    NOTE:

When using the Dell dongle to charge the HP Stream 7 - since the tablet thinks the tablet is on battery, any Power Options/Plan Settings may need to be adjusted regarding sleep timer and screen brightness...
    edited 2015-03-12 15:20
    I was trying to find out if there was a registry setting that would change the battery monitor sensor so that the taskbar plugged-in icon would show when charging with the Dell Dongle.

No luck so far, but did find how to get detailed battery status report:

Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar, select "Run" and enter "cmd" to open a command prompt window
    In the command prompt that will open, type cd %userprofile%/Desktop and press Enter
    Next type powercfg -batteryreport in the command prompt and press Enter

Powercfg will take a few seconds and produce a report in HTML format (battery-report.html) on the desktop.

Click to open it in the browser.
    edited 2015-05-24 19:17
    I wanted a new Bluetooth keyboard for my tablet and decided on the Logitech K480. It has a selector switch so you can pair it to 3 devices and works with Windows, Apple or Android.
    The software lets you configure the function keys, etc.

Uses two AAA batteries and has cradle to hold the tablet at an angle.
    NOTE: Some tablets are too thick to fit into the cradle area of the keyboard.
    Got it at Office Depot.

Very pleased with it so far!

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/multi-device-keyboard-k480?crid=26

attachment.php?attachmentid=114297

K480.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 547K
    K480.JPG 547.1K
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2015-05-25 22:53
    Just got an RMA from AASUS for my vivotab 8. Dead as a post. Same failure as the initial unit. That went back to Amazon. ASUS wants ME to pay shipping back to them to fix the #@$ thing. Had TPM turned on, and so at least the data is safe. I am seriously tempted to send it back to Amazon and say heck with it, but it appears to be the only 8" that can be written on making it a bit more convenient than my surface Pro. Seems to lastt about 2-3 months and then the charging system/on-off function fails. the unit gets really warm and then will never turn on again. It has taken about a week or two of tracked time notes. One note had not autobacked up as I thought it would.

If it was not the only near pocket size device that is write on, It would be gone......... The HP 7 I originally started this all with is still being very good, just can't write on it.

FF
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2015-05-25 23:53
    I do this very reasonably on a note 4 phone.
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2015-06-21 22:58
    I just bought a refurbished literally UnBranded brand tablet from CowBoom, BestBuy's clousout outlet. The specifications on the CowBoom page are pretty spars, but I searched BustBuy's page for a unique string from one of the comments on the CowBoom page, and found the same product with the same comments but much more in-depth specifications. Compared to the HP stream 7, it seems a bit more practical as a programming environment. The screen is the same resolution, 1280x800, but it is a larger 10.1", there is an HDMI output, and there is a keyboard dock with a USB port, although it will take some trickery to get that working without the dock itself.
  • MicksterMickster Posts: 2,588
    edited 2015-06-22 01:15
    I wanted a new Bluetooth keyboard for my tablet and decided on the Logitech K480. It has a selector switch so you can pair it to 3 devices and works with Windows, Apple or Android.
    The software lets you configure the function keys, etc.

Uses two AAA batteries and has cradle to hold the tablet at an angle.
    NOTE: Some tablets are too thick to fit into the cradle area of the keyboard.
    Got it at Office Depot.

Very pleased with it so far!

Thanks for the heads-up. This is just what I need!
    edited 2015-07-28 11:54
    Hey! Get a $25 credit at the Microsoft App store for your HP Stream....
    I did this yesterday, must use explorer on the tablet to redeem.

If you own an HP Stream you might be eligible for a $25 Windows Store credit

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/hpstream
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Just saw this Craig tablet w/Win10 at Rite Aid drugstore, FYI. Their 50% off price is $89.

2531 x 1425 - 644K
    2555 x 1437 - 648K
  • How did those turn out? They still running like a year later?