Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX Key — Parallax Forums

SX Key

4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
edited 2015-02-27 22:27 in General Discussion
I've noticed that reference to the SX key has been removed from the Parallax page over the last couple of days! I assume the worst and that the SX-key will no longer be available.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-02-24 10:09
    I believe they are still available at Andre's site:

http://www.ic0nstrux.com/sx-key-programmer-usb#.VOy-YPnF_To
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-02-24 16:08
    Fluffy Two lives on, and on. Download the documentation and your good... just in case.

www.semis.demon.co.uk/Sx/SXmain.htm
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2015-02-24 17:45
    Fluffy Two lives on, and on. Download the documentation and your good... just in case.

www.semis.demon.co.uk/Sx/SXmain.htm

Over the next few days my plan is to scrape the Parallax site for SX related "stuff". That is unless of course someone from Parallax insist that I stop.
    edited 2015-02-24 23:07
    If that means dumping the Fluffy Two material, I would at least like a chance to archive it before it disappears... not sure what you mean by 'scrape'. It is an unclear choice of verbs.

I don't see why there needs to be a rush to remove SX chip history from the web.

I am a bit annoyed that the Fluffy Two seems to provide on HEX files for the PIC, no source. With source files, the whole device could be adapted to have an SX-28 do the same job.

... Just maybe... Parallax would be willing to make the SX-KEY code open source with the schematics.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2015-02-25 10:55
    I have an SX Key & some boards I should put in the classified, unless someone PMs me with an offer I can't refuse...
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2015-02-25 15:35
    If that means dumping the Fluffy Two material, I would at least like a chance to archive it before it disappears... not sure what you mean by 'scrape'. It is an unclear choice of verbs.

I don't see why there needs to be a rush to remove SX chip history from the web.

Maybe the word "scrape" doesn't really apply in this case. Normally a website gets "scraped". In the context that I've used it as a sys-admin at internet based companies we used the term scrape when someone (be it company, spider or person) went to the site and downloaded all the content of the site. My plan is to go to the downloads section of the pages for the SX chips and download all the documents there. I would of course burn it do cd or dvd and depending on demand make them available. My expectation is that Parallax will continue to make the SX forum available for the foreseeable future but i have to admit I'm wondering how I can go about downloading all the content of the forums :) The intention is to archive the info!
    edited 2015-02-26 06:39
    Got it! I was a bit worried that it might be a typo meaing 'scrapped' -- as in throw away..

I became alarms as I couldn't get back into the Fluffy Two site and I wanted to save that code and material.
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2015-02-26 14:40

....I don't see why there needs to be a rush to remove SX chip history from the web....

I'm in no rush to remove history! We have docs posted for this product line that were published in the previous millennium actually. I think the newest one in the batch is the End of Life notice from 2009. My how time flies, faster and faster it seems.

Although the SX Key is indeed discontinued, the product page for it has not been unpublished. You can access it with a search of its product name, stock code, or by its direct URL (below). However, like all discontinued products, it has been removed from the catalog that is browsed using the left-hand menu on the store site.

http://www.parallax.com/product/45214

The files that appear in this page's Downloads & Documentation section are all still available on the website, and would remain available through a search from the Downloads section even if this specific product page were eventually unpublished.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2015-02-27 16:27
    Interesting way to use 'unpublished'. Can anything get unpublished again after being published?

Enjoy!

Mike
    edited 2015-02-27 22:27
    'Unpublished' linguistically the usage is much like 'uneaten'. The process is in one direction.

Of course, the paradox is when you get to 'do' and 'undo'.

I suppose there is a subtle difference here beween using 'un-' with the Past-participle versus other forms of the verb.

"There won't be any unpublishing of the SXKey materials" might actually be right. Of course, the uneating of an apple is likely impossible.

A simpler statement might be that context is all important and some actions obviously cannot be undone, while others can... forget the grammar debate.

++++++++++++
    Bottomline, I am happy to hear that Parallax will continue to provide resource materials for the SXes reguardless of what they actually continue to sell. They have done business this way all along and it is a good thing.