Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What will you make with your P2? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

What will you make with your P2?

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    edited 2015-01-20 11:07
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    Here's some pictures of a project that uses P1's for all of the above.
    Its a V12 model aircraft engine with electronic fuel injection...
    Wow.

When you say model aircraft engine do you mean this actually goes on a model aircraft and flies ? or did you mean a scale model of an aircraft engine, for desktop use ?

I'm sure Parallax would love some of the discards :)

How does power to weight scale and how many hours can these run for ?
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2015-01-20 19:15
    @jmg
    While the engine does make a great desk ornament it is a real engine.
    The engine was designed to suit 1/5th scale "flying" model aircraft.
    Expected lifespan of engine is typical of single cylinder conventional model engines.
    Worn parts can be replaced to extend life. Engine and electronics weigh approx. 3.5kg.
    A propeller thrust of 13kg is required for suitable flying performance.
    Where currently @ about 12.1kg thrust.
    Hasn't flown yet, have to learn how to walk first, but were close now.
    Here's a video of one fittied in a display aircraft, starting up and running. (Aircraft was anchored for no fly)
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2015-01-21 13:51
    @ozpropdev

Wow! that's an incredible design. As a former military mechanic I can appreciate all the work that goes into building an engine but designing one is amazing.

Bob
  • threadzthreadz Posts: 56
    edited 2015-01-21 14:46
    I'm building a PipBoy (see Fallout 3).
    Like the game version it will track my quests (assignments), store and playback audio logs, maps, play radio, and alert my of radiation poisoning.
    To compensate for not being able to freeze time and change my clothes for me, it will be able to control TVs and fetch weather forecasts.

Also if my math is accurate, the battery should be able to last for about a week in stand by mode, which is basically forever in the world of mobile computers.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-01-22 01:28
    Tubular,
    Squashed fingertips? Essentially its a capacitive prox sensor with a very short range
    I do get the intention here. What I don't get is how you are measuring capacitance of fingers touching the top of a Prop chip? What is the code doing?
    edited 2015-01-22 01:34
    threadz,

It would be great if you could get your PipBoy to watch TV.

People could use it to watch TV for them, thus freeing up lot's of their time which they could use to do more interesting things.
  • ValeTValeT Posts: 308
    edited 2015-01-22 04:20
    If possible, I am going to try to work on basic object recognition with a P2.

It would be really cool if I could get my ActivityBot to move around objects if it sees something that I have preset it to avoid......
    edited 2015-01-22 09:52
    Heater,

True, but the processor requirements of TV watching would quickly drain the battery, and long battery life is one of my major goals for this project.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2015-01-22 23:25
    Heater. wrote: »
    threadz,

It would be great if you could get your PipBoy to watch TV.

People could use it to watch TV for them, thus freeing up lot's of their time which they could use to do more interesting things.

Douglas Adams electrical monk?

Enjoy!

Mike
    edited 2015-01-22 23:47
    threadz,
    ...the processor requirements of TV watching would quickly drain the battery, and long battery life is one of my major goals for this project.
    No problem. In the same way that I tackle the task of watching TV the processor could put itself to sleep most of the time to conserve energy. It's owner will never notice the difference whilst he's busy doing all those other interesting things I mentioned.

msrobots,
    Douglas Adams electrical monk?
    Yes, well spotted. You don't think I make up these great ideas by myself do you? :)
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-01-23 04:51
    I don't have an electrical monk.. (well, there were some issues with that guy, so it's for the best I guess). But I have gone all Drac myself and removed the TV.. suddenly there's lots of time!
    As for the P2.. with all that time, hopefully I'll be able to go somewhere with my vague idea about a combined hardware/software emulator to improve on my software-only minicomputer emulator.
    As for the other suggestions in this thread, I like the thought of going Lisp on it.

-Tor
    edited 2015-01-23 06:46
    Hunter,

BRILLIANT! Not only will that conserve battery power, bit it will be lite on code space.

On a marginally relayed note, do you happen to know if the prop2 specs have been frozen and if so, what are they? I'm mostly concerned with if it can interface with 3.3v systems directly. I'm not a fan of having 64 level converter circuits
    edited 2015-01-23 07:37
    @Tor,

"all Drac" - What? I have never owned a TV and almost never find myself in front of one. I'm not going to tell you how many decades that is.

@threadz

"Hunter"? Brilliant, I think I'm changing my name, I like that.

I'm pretty sure the I/O is 3.3v and will interface to 5v devices with some resistors. Using 1.8v on the I/O would make the thing basically useless.

I guess the specs are frozen. In Chip's head at least. General outlines have been posted here occasionally. As far as I'm concerned: 16 COGs, 512K RAM, 64 I/O, direct HUB execution and much faster than P1 are all I need to know:). Or was it 96 I/O at some point?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-01-23 08:26
    Methinks it was 96 I/O at some point for dram access. Not sure it still is.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-01-23 08:28
    Not sure if this is current at all:

http://propeller.wikispaces.com/Propeller+II
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-01-23 08:32
    Not at all current. States 8 cogs, 92 I/O, 128K ram.
    edited 2015-01-23 08:32
    threadz wrote: »
    Hunter,

BRILLIANT! Not only will that conserve battery power, bit it will be lite on code space.

On a marginally relayed note, do you happen to know if the prop2 specs have been frozen and if so, what are they? I'm mostly concerned with if it can interface with 3.3v systems directly. I'm not a fan of having 64 level converter circuits

You may have to read the entire thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/155132-The-New-16-Cog-512KB-64-analog-I-O-Propeller-Chip/page11

I'm sure it's in there somewhere. :)
    edited 2015-01-23 08:35
    kwinn wrote: »
    Not at all current. States 8 cogs, 92 I/O, 128K ram.

Of course, you are correct. I was just looking at the interface voltages. They may not be up to date also.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    edited 2015-01-28 05:30
    something differently. The prop is special, so the solutions should be special: www.tsensorssummit.org/Resources/33-Gill.pdf
  • markmark Posts: 252
    edited 2015-01-28 21:11
    ozpropdev,

That engine is amazing! A water cooled unit in that size is just too cool. With engine management, will you also be going electronic fuel injection?

I'm not really sure what I'll do with the P2. I'd kind of like to make a sort of configurable signals interface terminal which could also run scripts. Expanding on that idea a bit, it would be neat to integrate it with something like those _____-in-one electronic kits and have it be completely self-hosted (so possibly built-in LCD), but not just focus on electronics and programming, but also science/physics projects.
    edited 2015-01-28 22:50
    [QUOTE=mark
    edited 2015-01-29 07:22
    I'm going to use my Propeller 2 as the control element in my time machine project.

Then I'm going to go back in time to six years ago, or however long ago it was we started that interminably long P II development thread that led to a completely impractical P2 design.

I'll give the young Chip his new chip and specifications and explain how that is what we want and ultimately ended up with.

Then you guys will have the P II now!

Sorry, I'm in a strange mood today.
  • markmark Posts: 252
    edited 2015-01-29 22:11
    Heater. wrote: »
    I'm going to use my Propeller 2 as the control element in my time machine project.

Then I'm going to go back in time to six years ago, or however long ago it was we started that interminably long P II development thread that lead to a completely impractical P2 design.

I'll give the young Chip his new chip and specifications and explain how that is what we want and ultimately ended up with.

Then you guys will have the P II now!

Sorry, I'm in a strange mood today.

Wait, doesn't that mean we should have it already? This is how we know your time machine project won't work out.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    edited 2015-01-30 00:17
    Ah but, having already gone back, the novelty wore off ...
    edited 2015-01-30 00:46
    Introducing the "Parallax Paradox Propeller 2" :lol:
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    edited 2015-01-30 04:03
    I fear, your machine is already working, Heater
    edited 2015-01-30 04:14
    mark
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2015-01-30 04:27
    I'm going to make a time machine and go back in time to when Chip was designing the Basic Stamp. I'll then tell him how cool it would be to have a processor with 32k of RAM and 8 cores. That will inspire him to develop the Propeller chip. Wait, we have a Propeller chip already. That proves that my time machine worked!!
    edited 2015-01-30 05:16
    David,

Damn, you did better than me in the future then. You see I built my time machine in the future using the PII as it's control element. I went back and gave the young Chip some PII's and documentation and copies of the interminably long P2 design forum threads. He was dismayed at what was about to happen and very glad to take his ultimate design from me and avoid all that.

I was disturbed to find on returning to the future that nothing had changed. Investigation showed that a bug in the pre-release Spin interpreter I used in the PII time machine control element caused a fork in the time line when I met Chip and there is now a parallel universe with lot's of happy PII users. Sadly not here. Of course in that parallel universe they are all busy building time machines so as to get the PIII out quicker.

You see, you can continue running the modified universe emulation in one COG or you can fork it into another COG.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-01-30 06:07
    The paradox of the time machine goes away if you cannot go back before the invention of the time machine.. which is exactly what Stephen Baxter described in his Timelike Infinity novel. That sounds silly on the face of it, but if you look at the technology described it makes complete sense.
    That, unfortunately, means that as long as no time machine has been invented we won't be able to do anything about the P2 development.. as soon as that happens though we'll be in a much better position for, say, the P3 development.

-Tor (it _is_ quite late in the evening on this side of the globe.. story time, to be precise)