Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SpinScope: A Virtual Oscilloscope for the Propeller - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

SpinScope: A Virtual Oscilloscope for the Propeller

Comments

• T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2014-11-06 09:35
    Phil, haven't had time to test but WOW this is awesome. Graphics are very slick.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-11-06 09:55
    JonnyMac,

I have the opposite view about morphing into a Windows exe. Seems like a step backwards. Nobody wants platform specific applications anymore. Supporting all the common platforms, Windows, Mac, Linux, iPads, Android, even things like the Raspberry Pi becomes a lot of unnecessary effort.

And who would not want to check the activity of their Propeller from half the world away over the internet:)

What actually is the problem you are having with it? If it is just reconnecting to the serial line is the issue that is a bug that can be fixed.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-11-06 10:07
    Jon,

Make sure you're using the latest version from Post #1. There were some reconnect issues in earlier versions. Also, if you restarted a Spin program while connected, it would not receive the current scope settings. The latter has been corrected by having SpinScope.spin issue a Query command when it starts up, which is answered with the current settings.

As to a stand-alone exe, that's what this experiment was designed to get away from. By doing the GUI part in a portable window manager (i.e. browser) supported by a thin, easily ported server in the background, converting to other platforms is much easier. By contrast, the S2 GUI is pretty much stuck in Winows -- and perhaps Linux -- due to the non-portability of Tk.

-Phil
    edited 2014-11-06 10:11
    Tumbler wrote:
    The only thing i can do is clicking the power button to see some activity in the spinscope window and the red led from my propplug
    Is the Run button illuminated? If you see activity in the blinkenlights section but not on the scope face, you're probably triggering on an inactive pin.

-Phil
    edited 2014-11-06 10:15
    Phil,

Any chance of putting this up on github?

Having to install the thing into wine under Linux and the extract the files is a bit of a pain.

Anyway, a source code management thing is a good thing.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2014-11-06 10:19
    Tumbler, make sure the last line in your Spin program is indented relative to the repeat statement. When I copied the program it was in line with the repeat statement, so it never got executed. I'm not sure if it was my error, or if that's the way the program was originally posted.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2014-11-06 10:58
    Tumbler,
    seems like the prop is not running properly. i found that i have to program into the eeprom. if it locks then ensure power button is off, then switch to proptool and do F7 and ensyre prop is found, then go back to broeser and click power button which then should go green (not yellow).
    I presume you enterd a top level spin test program???
    I can post one later this am, but there is one in my earlier posts. you need a repeat at the end of the startup or else a cogstop(cogid).
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 323
    edited 2014-11-06 11:03
    Spinscope and propeller are working perfect.
    When i take my tablet and browse to the laptops ip (running spinscope and connected to the prop) the whole thing is working.
    So it's my browser on the laptop.
    edited 2014-11-06 11:18
    What browser? The latest Firefox works for me on win7 but ie10 doesn't.

Tumbler wrote: »
    Spinscope and propeller are working perfect.
    When i take my tablet and browse to the laptops ip (running spinscope and connected to the prop) the whole thing is working.
    So it's my browser on the laptop.
    edited 2014-11-06 11:26
    Somewhere around here it was recently said that the xmlhttprequest used to communicate between browser and server was not working on IE despite attempts to make it do so.

Why anyone is using IE anyway is a mystery.
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2014-11-06 11:29
    Well I use IE as a sacarifical goat when some programs insist on installing junk ware. This leaves my Chrome pristeen..:innocent:
    edited 2014-11-06 11:35
    OT - browser war imminent!!!
    IE10 &Win7 works better on this forum for straight posting and editting. But it won't work properly posting files.
    The latest firefox doesn't have a cursor displayed. But i can post files.
    Result - i have to post my text with ie10 and then edit with firefox to add files. This is less than ideal
    (except using my xoom/android which is worse as correcting typos is virtually impossible)
    :(

Heater. wrote: »
    Somewhere around here it was recently said that the xmlhttprequest used to communicate between browser and

server was not working on IE despite attempts to make it do so.

Why anyone is using IE anyway is a mystery.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-11-06 11:42
    Sometimes, when I leave the browser open a great length of time, I have to close the DOS box, and re-open, then refresh the localhost.
    edited 2014-11-06 12:33
    Publison wrote:
    Sometimes, when I leave the browser open a great length of time, I have to close the DOS box, and re-open, then refresh the localhost.
    The socket might be timing out when you're not in Run or Once mode, and the browser stops making requests. I may need to add some dummy keep-alive requests to keep that from happening.

-Phil
    edited 2014-11-06 12:43
    No problem on this side Phil. I tend to keep it running for hours. I'll monitor it more closely. later.

Jim
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2014-11-06 17:41
    Any plans to code a version that will utilize the propscope?

The only reason I am asking this is because I want to use my propscope with my Galaxy Tab 2 via a usb dongle for on the go use.
    But the propscope software doesn't have any compatibility with Android.
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 323
    edited 2014-11-06 20:16
    Couldn't find whats wrong here.
    But it looks fine on my tablet.
    Thx for sharing this Phil
    edited 2014-11-06 20:32
    Clock Loop wrote:
    Any plans to code a version that will utilize the propscope?
    No.

-Phil
    edited 2014-11-09 03:43
    JonnyMac,
    ....do sincerely hope it morphs into a stand-alone exe without having to go through a browser...
    Do you mean you want to see something like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=111889&d=1415535209

That is spinscope running on my desktop as an application together with the, not very good, icon that launched it.
    895 x 628 - 102K
    edited 2014-11-09 10:59
    JonnyMac,

I think I have to apologize for playing a bit of a trick there.

The screen shot I posted there was spinscope running as an extension to the Chrome browser on my PC.

The "cheating" part is that it still connects back to a little server running on my PC in order to get trace data from a Propeller. And perhaps that it uses Chrome as the "operating system" on which it runs rather than using Win32 API's directly. Basically it's not a Windows EXE it's a Chrome App that can be run anywhere that can run Chrome.

However, with a bit of work it is possible to get Phil's HTML/JavaScript to talk directly over the serial port to a Propeller. No intermediate server required. That is my next task.
    Can you compile a Windows EXE for me to test?
    Well no. That is the point. It is not Windows dependent.

If you still want to try it out it is attached here.

Just unpack it some place and then go into Tools->Extensions in your Chrome browser. Check the "developer mode" tick box. The hit the "Load unpacked extension" button and point it at the directory where you unpacked everything. Then hit the "launch" button.

I have no idea what happens on Windows at this point but here spinscope gets added to the start menu and that start menu item can be dragged and dropped onto the desktop. Thus producing the screen shot I posted.

Now, that might seem like a lot of hassle. But if the thing was pushed out as a "Chrome App" getting it running would be a whole lot simpler. It would then also work on Linux, Mac, Windows, Chrome Books and any place that can run Chrome.

Having said all that, I still don't understand what is the problem with Phil's EXE for Windows.
    edited 2014-11-09 16:03
    Phil's exe 1.0 & 1.1 did both work on my Win7 32bit & Firefox 32.0 but now with Firefox 33.? (latest 2 days ago) something is broken - could be me but no time to try things atm.

Has anyone been able to run Phil's source code on Windows???
    My post #112 http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/157982-SpinScope-A-Virtual-Oscilloscope-for-the-Propeller?p=1301290&viewfull=1#post1301290
    describes what I did, but I could not get it to work.
    edited 2014-11-09 16:28
    Ray,

Make sure this bit of code is in SpinScope.spin:
        c~
        t := cnt
        repeat
          c |= ina
        until (cnt - t => clkfreq / 100)
        send_cmd("P")
        repeat i from 0 to 3
          send_data(byte[@c][i])
        send_cmd(EOT)

I've had problems with Win7 reloading old files from "somewhere" during what is supposed to be a fresh install. If that bit of code is present, change the until (cnt - t => clkfreq / 100) to take a little longer.

-Phil
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2014-11-12 00:13
    I just downloaded it myself and agree that its going to be cool tool to use in the future with my projects.

I am wondering if any body try this on Google Chrome? If no one has done so I maybe the first to give a try
    edited 2014-11-12 02:15
    Sure see my post #141 above for a Chrome app version as an example.

It only needs is:

The little manifest.json and background.js files.

Split the javascript out into it's own file.

A few other little tweaks that I don't remember but were to do with Chrome not liking js code in strings.
  • VideomachineVideomachine Posts: 9
    edited 2015-02-09 06:21
    SpinScope scheint ein tolles Tool zu sein.
    Bei mir werden jedoch keine analogen Signale angezeigt.
    Ich habe versucht die analogen Ausg
    edited 2015-02-09 06:54
    Scope spin seems to be a great tool .
    For me , however, no analog signals are displayed .
    I tried the analog outputs PIN 10 and 11 in the program
    Test Bench ( John Ahlebrand with the propeller signal generator )
    portray . As there are signals sawtooth, triangle , sine, square and special
    User signals. With viewport there is a good representation.
    With spin Scope has unfortunately only digital signals.

How to enable ports to
    that they can play analog signals.

For help in advance thanks.
    video Machine

I don't think Phil, the author, added the analog capability yet. It was on his possible upgrades in the first post.
    Future plans include:

1. Add an "analog" scope capability that samples DUTY mode output on a pin over an interval.
    edited 2015-02-10 10:16
    Spin Scope seems to be a great tool.
    For me, however, no analog signals appear.
    I tried the analog outputs PIN 10 and 11 in the program
    TestBench (Johannes Ahlebrand with the PropellerSignalGenerator)
    to see. As signals is so sawtooth, triangle, sine, square and special
    User signals. With the software of Hanno Sander "ViewPort" the signals have the typical analog form.
    With SpinScope of Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) you see unfortunately only digital signals. How can I die ports enable so did they play analog signals can. For the aids thank you in advance.

Note the duration of the signal display at the pins I can not implement.
    Many greetings
    Videomachine
    edited 2015-02-10 10:36
    The analog capability has not been implemented yet. I got on to other things and never got back to it. 'Sorry.

-Phil
    edited 2015-02-18 09:06
    Hallo Phil,

schade, dass der analoge Ausgang noch nicht implementiert wurde.
    Das Bild von "Heater" vom 31.10.2014 sah so aus als sei die Aufzeichnung auch analoger
    Signale m
    edited 2015-02-18 09:36
    Hallo Phil,

schade, dass der analoge Ausgang noch nicht implementiert wurde.
    Das Bild von "Heater" vom 31.10.2014 sah so aus als sei die Aufzeichnung auch analoger
    Signale m