Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Introducing the ELEV-8 v2 Quadcopter Kit! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Introducing the ELEV-8 v2 Quadcopter Kit!

2»

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2014-07-29 15:34
    W9GFO wrote: »
    Dang it, I should have seen that coming!

Ya see, Rich, there are certain things I can train Kyle on and this is one of them. For all you know he was fishing for this contribution the whole time.

Ken Gracey
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-29 18:04
    Rich, When did you move? I just noticed your location is no longer Bellevue.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2014-07-29 18:32
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Rich, When did you move? I just noticed your location is no longer Bellevue.

Bought the place over a year ago, just officially moved in two weeks ago. It is five acres, about three of them clear so there is lots of space to fly ELEV-8s (trying to stay on topic).
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-29 19:07
    I figured you must have went somewhere with more room. Between the Elev-8 and hang gliding you should have plenty of rom now!!!!
  • iseriesiseries Posts: 1,443
    edited 2014-07-30 06:16
    Back to the Quad purchase question. 3DR DIY Quad kit sells for $550 the same as ELEV-8. The frame only is just $50. Yours was $169 which is 3 time the price for common screws. 3DR's controller is $200 and yours is not available. There controller as 10 different flight modes one of which makes it work like the bar bones unit like yours. I like your design but hate your pricing. I all for learning and I am doing just that.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-07-30 07:25
    iseries wrote: »
    Back to the Quad purchase question. 3DR DIY Quad kit sells for $550 the same as ELEV-8. The frame only is just $50. Yours was $169 which is 3 time the price for common screws. 3DR's controller is $200 and yours is not available. There controller as 10 different flight modes one of which makes it work like the bar bones unit like yours. I like your design but hate your pricing. I all for learning and I am doing just that.
    Theirs is probably made in China. The Elev-8 is made in Rocklin. I'm willing to pay more for that.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-07-30 07:43
    I like your design but hate your pricing. I all for learning and I am doing just that.

You're not alone.

I love Parallax but I also buy a lot of stuff from HobbyKing and ebay.

You can't really call Parallax customer service if you purchase the less expensive 3DR, but you could still probably find help in the multi-rotor forum.

Get the cheap quad and also get a Propeller board to mount on it. Use the Propeller board to control your LEDs etc.

I have an ELEV-8 (I purchased "used" but it hadn't been used). I copied a lot of the design (the ELEV-8 is open source) and made my hexacopter from scratch using parts from HobbyKing.

You could use the plans to make your own ELEV-8 clone.

Here's a link to the thread about controlling WS2801 LEDs.

The Propeller is a great microcontroller for Quadcopter and robotics. Having eight processors at your disposal makes programming a lot easier than trying to figure out how to divide up a single processor's resources.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-07-30 08:09
    The 3DRobotics inc web site says the bare bones 3D IRIS starts at $750, and I don't see anything I could buy at a hardware store to replace any broken parts.
    Also, I don't think 3DRobotics sells a DIY kit anymore, at least none that I could find on their site...
  • Kyle M.Kyle M. Posts: 112
    edited 2014-07-30 08:36

Between Russ, Ken, and I, we've laid out (post #25, 26, 27) the features that make the ELVE-8 stand out from the rest of the pack. I for one am not going to do a direct head-to-head comparison with a product by another company. As far as the pricing, as you note, that is for the old ELEV-8, we haven't yet released the frame (or it's pricing) for the new ELEV-8. I agree that's a tall premium for screws, so it's a good thing that that's not the only difference, as the three of us talked about previously (post #25, 26, 27). It will be a very fair price in my opinion when you consider the whole package. Furthermore, Parallax's product is open-source, made in Rocklin, California, extremely well documented, and comes with our well-renowned support, all of which adds value to our product.

At the end of the day it's your choice what product you buy, If you don't like our product or think it's too expensive,you have every right to have such an opinion. However, there is no need to continue to beat this head to head product comparison into the ground. It's up to each individual customer to decide what product is right for them, there is no universal answer; it will be different for every customer based on their unique needs and desires.
    I also personally ask you to please watch the confrontational tone, there's no need for hostility here, we're just a bunch of people who want to learn and fly.
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    The 3DRobotics inc web site says the bare bones 3D IRIS starts at $750, and I don't see anything I could buy at a hardware store to replace any broken parts.
    Also, I don't think 3DRobotics sells a DIY kit anymore, at least none that I could find on their site...

It's out there. Hate to be difficult, but I'm not linking to it given that I'm a parallax employee and this is a parallax forum, and this thread is not about our competitor's products, its about our product. Hope you can understand.

Cheers,
    Kyle
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-07-30 08:57
    I totally understand, I did a cursory search of the 3DRobotics site, and did not find the $550 multirotor machine for sale. But thats neither here nor there, I guess.
    You will find many multirotor machines on the internet, but I haven't found any that compare to Parallax machine in both value and education..
    I know this because I want one, and have been researching the different products available, Much like I did to find the best Microcontroller for my needs.:smile:

-Tommy
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-07-30 09:34
    Kyle M. wrote: »
    If you don't like our product or think it's too expensive,you have every right to have such an opinion. However, there is no need to continue to beat this head to head product comparison into the ground.

I think I agree there really isn't a need to do this, but I also don't see a problem with it.
    I also personally ask you to please watch the confrontational tone, there's no need for hostility here, we're just a bunch of people who want to learn and fly.

I may need to go back and read again, because I missed the "confrontational tone". Okay, I did go back and read and I still wouldn't call iseries' tone "confrontational". It sounds like he wants to buy from Parallax but needs a bit more coaxing. Even if he doesn't want to buy from Parallax so what? IMO, it's perfectly fair to bring up a competitor's product in this sort of discussion.
    this is a parallax forum, and this thread is not about our competitor's products, its about our product. Hope you can understand.

I do not understand this at all. If you want to announce a product, announce it in the "Announcement" forum where no one can reply. In the other forums things like XMOS and Arduino will be brought up as alternatives. I've seen plenty of forum members get upset about these competitors products being brought up but I don't recall Parallax ever objecting (if they did it took a lot to provoke them).

Sure it's Parallax's forum but I've never thought it was only for discussing Parallax products. IMO, limiting the discussion to only Parallax products would reduce the benefit this forum is to its members and to Parallax.
    edited 2014-07-30 14:18
    I first just want to clarify that the opinions I express on here are my own, and not necessarily those of Parallax Inc or its employees.

I myself just took a moment to review the official Forum Guidelines.
    I was merely attempting to express (albeit very poorly) my opinion/wish that this thread stay mostly focused on answering questions about and providing support for the new ELEV-8. I was simply justifying why I wasn't doing a direct head-to-head comparison. I very much support trying to clarify what is unique about our product and what sets it apart from competitors in general. It is my opinion that specific detailed comparisons to other specific products or promoting those products in this thread is in poor taste, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and has the right to disregard that opinion, so long as they follow the forum guidelines.
    For example, If someone wants to do a direct and detailed comparison to the 3DRobotics quad, I welcome them to do so, I (personally) would just prefer they start a new thread under the multirotor sub-forum. Not only will that make finding such information easier, but It allows the two threads to better serve their focus.

Thanks again to everyone for their understanding while I get settled into the forums.

Cheers,
    Kyle
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-08-02 08:44
    Kyle,

What are the parameters that use are using in the pre-programmed ESC's?

Same as the Version 1.0 ?
    edited 2014-08-03 16:22
    The ESCs are being pre-programmed with the following settings:

Brake: OFF
    Battery Type: Li-xx
    Cut Off Type: Soft-Cut
    Cut Off Voltage: Middle
    Start Mode: Normal
    Timing Mode: Middle
    Music/LiPo Cells: blank (no music, auto detection of LiPo cell #s)
    Governor Mode: Off

While I arrived at these setting based on my own research, they are in fact the exact same settings as in the first version of the ELEV-8.

For an explanation of how and why I decided on these settings, see my post in the "Open Propeller Project #4: Program our ESCs with a Propeller" thread.
    Cheers
    edited 2014-08-03 16:47
    Hey Kyle,

Just seeing if you where sticking to the same settings.

Thanks!

Jim
    edited 2014-10-19 09:31
    Were the Propeller Guard design files mentioned in Post #1 ever released?

They are not in the download section for the product as mentioned.
  • Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2014-10-22 15:36
    The 3D-printed prototype Propeller Guard design is included in the CAD file download. I see it wasn't listed in the details below the file link; I'll add it in.

http://www.parallax.com/downloads/elev-8-v2-computer-aided-design-files
  • twhite101twhite101 Posts: 14
    edited 2014-12-13 10:11
    FYI,

I haven't read through all of this thread (so someone may have already posted this information) but if not then anyone that wants to upgrade their Elev-8 Quad to a V2, Parallax has just made these parts available.

Air frame & hardware for mounting the controller:
    Saddle Washer, 16-Pack, Product ID 570-80061, current price $3.14 http://www.parallax.com/product/570-80061
    ELEV-8 V2 Hardware Pack, Product ID 570-80060, current price $17.99 http://www.parallax.com/product/570-80060
    ---New parts in this kit needed for new saddle washer mounting:
    Aluminum*Standoff, #4-40 x 1/8"
    Nylon Spacer, #4 x 1/8"
    Machine Screw, #4-40 x 1 1/2”
    Locknut, #4-40 (these are used in the V1 kit but more are required for V2)
    ---New parts in this kit needed for upgraded mounting of the controller board
    Machine Screw, #4-40 x 1/2" these are 1/8" shorter than the V1 kit, I know I had some issues with screws rubbing on the battery.
    ---The change to metal spacers is needed due to motor vibration, makes the air frame more ridged and the nylon type striping out. I would recommend using the lock tight on these new threaded spacers when you are happy with your setup.

The booms are the same just a different color. ELEV-8 Boom (Blue), Product ID 730-00060, current price $13.31 http://www.parallax.com/product/730-00060
    They don't list the silver reflected film yet, but if you want it call and ask for 120-00008 Chrome Sticker.

Power:
    HXT - 3.5 mm Power Breakout Cable, Product ID 800-00006, current price $6.74 http://www.parallax.com/product/800-00006 Good if you are also planning to upgrade to six motor, already made for six connections

Flight:
    Same ESC just pre-programmed; GemFan 30 A ESC, Pre-Programmed, Product ID 750-90009, current price $12.59 http://www.parallax.com/product/750-90009
    KA Outrunner 1050Kv Brushless Motor, Product ID 750-90008, current price $23.39 http://www.parallax.com/product/750-90008
  • Kyle,

I ask this because you are probably the designer of the Elev8 drone. Have you guys ever done any tests, or have any experience with freefall velocity of a dead Elev8? Assumed it would be tumbling in the air.

I'm doing some quad drone research, this info is hard to come by, estimates terminal velocity (for quads in general) vary greatly.