S2-S2 Robot Communication Using GUI: need more ideas...

2»

Comments

  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    NikosG wrote: »
    Whit ,
    your Project with the binary count is very cool!
    It gives me some ideas for interesting activities with S2.......!

    @Nikos - Thanks! I want to try to develop a version that adds or subtracts based on which way the bot being counted passes by the monitoring S2. Left to right adds - right to left subtracts. You could set up two "counters" like the Fire Stealer Demo above - Left Counter set to zero and Right Counter set to seven - As the Fire Stealing Bot passed - the Left would count to Seven and the Right would subtract to 0.
    NikosG wrote: »
    Jessica's project was actually my ispiration in order to put the S2s in the arrangement that I suggested.

    I would like to Copy and paste the Hokey Pokey GUI code in the choreography section on robot1,2,3 and leader codes. But I can't Copy and paste code from one GUI program to another.
    This makes things more difficult because I must write the code manually four times! Any ideas.......?

    I must find a way to Copy and paste the code between in different programs...

    This is a very interesting question. As much as I have played with the Scribbler and the S2, I can't remember ever noticing this issue. Maybe someone like Phil (PhiPi) can share some information on this question.

    I do know that part of the amazing thing about the GUI Program Maker is that it keeps users out of trouble by not allowing errors in programming (which a new user might not understand) - this also means that the GUI has some limits.

    What do you say Phil? Ken? I'd love to know if this is possible too.

    I know that you could toggle into the Propeller Tool and combine the code in Spin, but I don't think you can then go back to the GUI and have the changes reflected.- not to mention that that violates Ken's GUI requirement for this challenge.

    Looks like it might require the plain old hard work of entering the code new each time - sounds like a job for a student! ;-)
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • ValeTValeT Posts: 308
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Mr. Gracey,

    It would be really cool if you could somehow use sound to have the robots do different things when they hear different sounds. For example, you couple have the lead robot play a sound and have the "slave" robots do something.

    Of course, it would be great if you could have them solve a maze by working together, but maybe that's too much work for one class. Just throwing out ideas.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,611
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    EXCELLENT projects! This is the stuff I have been wanting for the S2 to help me with using it to teach robotics to my daughter (she is 8). I might have a few things to add to this thread in a few weeks, but not quite as brilliant as what has been shown so far.

    PS. Note to Parallax/Ken: I think the content here is a mandatory update to http://learn.parallax.com/s2-robot-tutorials
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 604
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    .....

    (b) Can you refresh me and provide a few links to your other S2 projects?
    ...

    Here is some links:
    1)
    Project title: Scribbling sport team logos with S2, using Microsoft Excel
    Link: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/137549-Scribbling-sport-team-logos-with-S2-using-Microsoft-Excel

    2)
    Project title: “Alphabet for S2”: a collaborative project.
    Link: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/138663-“Alphabet-for-S2”-a-collaborative-project.?p=1082590#post1082590


    3)
    Project title: Advanced S2 pen lifter kit
    Link: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/138538-Advanced-S2-pen-lifter-kit?highlight=s2+pen+lifter



    Nikos
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @WBA Consulting - Thanks Andrew!

    @Nikos - Thanks for posting these links here! Great stuff.

    I still have to finish my Saints March - didn't like my first version much!
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Alright, here is the one robot parade promised to erco. The S2 dances in to "When the Saints Go Marching In!"

    Saints Music Code, Saints Music with Dance, and Music photo, and video attached.

    WhenTheSaintsMusic.png


    [video=youtube_share;RybZif7qncw]
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Ken,

    This is a follow up to the Binary Counting above. This version counts when objects pass the S2 left to right and subtracts when objects pass from right to left. I used a screen/target in the video - you could count passing S2s or Scribblers as above.

    I wanted to count/add to 7 and subtract back to 0 - but I ran into the limitation of variables (I think - the program wouldn't load - till I reduced to a maximum count of 4). So we count to 4 and subtract to zero. See other info above (on Binary Count using the LEDs), video below and attached code (good and bad).

    NOTE: The code labeled TOOMANYVAR - which looks okay to me (may have an error), never would load properly - again I think because it exceeds the limits of the Program Maker or the S2 - I think I remember some note about this somewhere, but couldn't find it anywhere! - I would love some input on this from Phil! Let me know if you figure it out! Wanted you all to see it though.

    Hope you have a great time with your teachers and with your class!

    [video=youtube_share;fMAOLky_evM]
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Publison wrote: »
    Whit..You have been a busy man. Nice work!

    Thanks Jim! Sorry I didn't catch your note earlier!
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 394
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Whit, I love it! Dances better then me...:cool:
    Ken N8SYG
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    This time we do some Binary Addition and Subtraction as one S2 counts the other as it passes. The S2 passing Left to Right is added to the total and the same S2 passing from Right to Left is subtracted from the count total.

    The original Binary Addition and Subtraction code was modified with a wait to allow time for the counted S2 to pass (and allows a full pass either direction without being "counted" on both sides in a pass). See BinaryCountAddSubwWait code. The S2 being counted makes Counter-Clockwise and Clockwise circles - the loops can be adjusted to get different results. See TwoDirectionCircle code and photo below - with a nod to Nikos and his nice noted photos. This version results in an answer count of 2 in binary form - just the center LED lighted green! Again 4 is my max count in the code.

    See also attached code and video.

    Counters.JPG


    [video=youtube_share;oVMLWN7LKzk]
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 604
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Whit wrote: »
    .....See also attached code and video.......

    Whit,
    Excellent activity and video! Thanks for shearing!

    I’m going to include your activity in this year robotic curriculum with S2 robot. Of course I’ll mention you as the creator, and I’ll show your video to my class!
    I’m trying to make some educational scenarios with S2 robot in Greek language for me, and for other Greek teachers who may use it. I have already translated in Greek the “Project 4:A”maze”ing Turns” from Robots for Beginners by Neil Rosenberg.



    Nikos Giannakopoulos
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    NikosG wrote: »
    Whit,
    Excellent activity and video! Thanks for shearing!

    I’m going to include your activity in this year robotic curriculum with S2 robot. Of course I’ll mention you as the creator, and I’ll show your video to my class!
    I’m trying to make some educational scenarios with S2 robot in Greek language for me, and for other Greek teachers who may use it. I have already translated in Greek the “Project 4:A”maze”ing Turns” from Robots for Beginners by Neil Rosenberg.

    Thanks Nikos! You are free to share anything of mine.. As is anyone here!

    Sounds like you are doing some great things in your classes!
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • ercoerco Posts: 17,844
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Ken, if this is the week of your conference, you might just as well send Whit an airline ticket to meet you in Iowa since he's done all this great legwork. :)
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

    - Pablo Picasso
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    erco wrote: »
    @Ken, if this is the week of your conference, you might just as well send Whit an airline ticket to meet you in Iowa since he's done all this great legwork. :)

    @erco - Ha! I want a layover in Rocklin! :tongue:

    Seriously though - it is because Ken asked. He is always been so generous with his time and resources to me.
    And, of course, for the love of the whole Scribbler family - Old Blue, and the S2 - Can't wait for the S3!
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,639
    edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Ken has a great report about the largest class for teachers that Parallax has ever held! It is linked Parallax.com (main site), but here is the link also - http://www.parallax.com/news/2014-10-23/learning-s2-robot-iowa-educators-ken-reports-his-recent-visit-train-stem-teachers

    Looks like they had lots of fun! Great photos and all of Ken's code and Parallax teaching materials are there for download. Check it out.

    Looks like he used Nikos' four S2 dance and my Binary Counting code too!

    And of course he got in a plug for for the S3!

    S2Iowa-02.png


    Edit - Ken had some info in his presentation about www.exploringrobotics.com It is a company that makes education material for different age levels and uses the S2, BoeBot and some other bots. Below is the video for the Middle 5-8 grade program. Also the High School bot uses the S2 - and Fluke 2 (which I did not know about) to teach Python programming! I knew that the Serial port was retained for compatibility with the IPRE Fluke - but I thought it wasn't around anymore...Who knew?

    [video=youtube_share;wmbEMrclUmU]
    1000 x 750 - 1M
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,639
    edited May 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Wanted to bump and revive this thread.

    Since the S3 will also us the GUI - I want to keep developing some great lessons that use the GUI alone. This is such an exciting way for beginners to start and such impressive work can be done using on the GUI. So - I hope to post more soon here as a way of building a store of ready to use GUI programs for the the Scribbler family!
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,639
    edited May 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Here is Nikos Fibonacci Spiral Challenge using the GUI alone. AMAZING! - http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/160957-Nikos-Fibonacci-Spiral-Challenge?p=1328799&viewfull=1#post1328799

    Ken Gracey and I had just been talking about how this could be done!
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Sign In or Register to comment.