Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IS this an Olympics Badge? — Parallax Forums

IS this an Olympics Badge?

Carol HazlettCarol Hazlett Posts: 312
edited 2014-09-20 21:34 in General Discussion
I found this in the bottom of a box while inventorying the contents of our storage locker. The locker belongs to our club the Seattle Robotics Society. I could not find anything on the web about and all the links to any documentation for the SX stuff seems to be broken. Can you tell me what it is and if there is any info on it. I have an old SX-key still and the original book that came with it and an SX Demo board from 1999. I don't have an IDE but I have a pile of Parallax Cd's that might have that in it. Remember when Parallax put a bookmark and a CD in every order? I saved them all.

Comments

• doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2014-09-07 17:48
    Carol I think you can program it with the sx key you have and the basic stamp IDE but I could be wrong. I can't run the BS software on this machine, but will verify on my laptop.

Doc
    edited 2014-09-07 17:54
    Sorry, I believe that was in error. No Sx in BS Editor.

:(
    edited 2014-09-07 17:56
    But you can download the SX Key Editor here:

http://www.parallax.com/downloads/sx-key-editor-software
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2014-09-07 19:12
    Aha! Yes, Carol, that's the Robolympics Badge (circa ~2002 or so). It was produced by Parallax and David Caulkins and made in three or four colors. I believe we made about 600 units for Robolympics.

The code was written in SX/B and is still available on our internal network. If you'd like I could try to find it for you on Monday.

Ken Gracey
  • Carol HazlettCarol Hazlett Posts: 312
    edited 2014-09-08 13:03
    I found the downloads for SX-Key documentation and as soon as I can replace the batteries on this I am going to see if it works. It may still have a program in it. If I can get time to play with it before Robothon it would be fun to put it in our Parallax display. And yes Ken, it would be great if you can find documentation and software for it. I originally bought my SX-Key and demo board to help with getting some practical experience in assembly language.
    edited 2014-09-08 13:42
    I am finding lots of good info in the Nuts and Volts articles. If anybody knows of a specific article that has something about the badge in it could you let me know?
    edited 2014-09-08 20:54
    Carol,

I'm starting to find some of the information on this medal on our network. It was made in 2005.

One of the documents is the test procedure we used to build the medals. The other is a parts placement diagram.

I'm still looking for the SX/B source code mentioned above. This was on our web site at one point but I can't find it on our network or on the web. Even though it was just about ten years ago I'm having a really difficult time trying to remember who wrote the code. It might even have been written by David Winchell, a customer we worked with on the project. I'll reach out and ask him.

Ken Gracey
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2014-09-09 06:47
    I have one of these that works quite well. And there are software examples for it, including a "Magic Eight Ball" program that will provide answers to yes/no questions in mystical replies.

Google "Magic 8 Ball sxb" for a download of that demo.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2014-09-09 07:19
    The attached .zip has the schematic and two versions of the firmware for the badge. I don't remember the exact provenance (one might be for SX/B 2.x the other for SX/B 1.x), except that these were downloads from the Parallax site.
    edited 2014-09-09 08:05
    I'm going to have to dig mine out now.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2014-09-09 08:43
    Here is the Magic 8 Ball code I wrote. This is dated Aug 2007.

Bean
    edited 2014-09-09 09:39
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO7bYk9kOzE&list=UUfveeuCAWNnt_YoNEp4e3aw This is a link to a video showing what is already on the badge after I put batteries in it. It shows a picture of a robot then the robot's path to the cone, it finds the cone and bumps it then says 3rd place Robo-Magellan Robothon 2007. I think it must have been one of the prizes we get every year from Parallax and maybe there was no third place entrant for Robomagellan that year. I am going to try and find out who in our club programmed it
    edited 2014-09-10 08:40
    Carol, up until now I thought we made this for the San Francisco Robolympics, but Robo-Magellan is an SRS event. If that's the case, we probably worked with Pete Miles at the time. Do you know Pete?

Ken Gracey
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-09-10 09:09
    Didn't JonnyMac do a lot of programming on that project. Maybe it was just after effects.
    edited 2014-09-10 17:11
    Yes, I know Pete, he is still a very active member of SRS. Bob Cook is the person who programmed the badges, one for each 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each competition that year. He said you sent us a bunch of them and they figured that the badges would be better than giving ribbons to each competitor. Maybe you sent us what was left unused after that event? I wasn't a full time member of SRS in 2007.
    edited 2014-09-10 20:28
    Yes, I know Pete, he is still a very active member of SRS. Bob Cook is the person who programmed the badges, one for each 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each competition that year. He said you sent us a bunch of them and they figured that the badges would be better than giving ribbons to each competitor. Maybe you sent us what was left unused after that event? I wasn't a full time member of SRS in 2007.

That makes sense. We must have made them for David Caulkins' event Robolympics in San Francisco. Whatever was left we sent to SRS.

Tell Pete I said "hey Pete, check in with me once in a while 'cause I don't know where to find you!".

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-09-11 11:52
    Ken, I am sending you a PM with Pete's contact info.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    edited 2014-09-20 09:54
    Who won 7 Olympic badges in 1972? This guy, MarvelouSX Mark SpitSX!

Spitz.jpg
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-09-20 17:17
    And why was he spared by the terrorists that took over the Olympics in Munich???????
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    edited 2014-09-20 19:27
    I won't speculate, as I'm veering wildly OT plus it's best to stay clear of political and religious inferences...!
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-09-20 21:34
    Yea, you're right erco. If anyone wants to know they can PM me.