Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available - Page 27 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-08-03 13:52
    Quickstart

Is the board bare?
    What revision is it?

If the board has a HID adapter, please use an external power supply on the connector.

Thanks.
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,822
    edited 2014-08-03 13:59
    I created a new folder - /opt/propelleride/din, moved the contents of /opt/propelleride/bin there, and the program started on the command propelleride. I ran the Welcome.spin program in the debug window, and that seems to be working as expected. Now I have to shutdown my system, because it had a core dump, and I will give propelleride another try.

Ray
  • DavidZemonDavidZemon Posts: 2,973
    edited 2014-08-03 14:07
    Rev B. Not sure if that has the HID adapter in question

I have a brand new Rev A that I can test too if it will help
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,822
    edited 2014-08-03 14:47
    I just did a restart of my computer, typed in propelleride, did a run of the Welcome.spin, and everything seems to be working as expected. I am using an old GG PPUSB board, no problems with that. Tomorow I will test some more.

Ray
    edited 2014-08-03 18:26
    Rev B. Not sure if that has the HID adapter in question

I have a brand new Rev A that I can test too if it will help

I'm not having any trouble with my quickstart Rev B board. The HID board has a VGA adapter, Keyboard ports, etc... and makes kind of a sandwich. I've found that combination without an external supply is not reliable at all, and has actually killed one of my USB ports.

I should build a special package for you that uses an external loader just for comparison sake. Not tonight though.
    edited 2014-08-03 18:32
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    I just did a restart of my computer, typed in propelleride, did a run of the Welcome.spin, and everything seems to be working as expected. I am using an old GG PPUSB board, no problems with that. Tomorow I will test some more.

Ray

So somewhere along the way you picked up Qt4.x.x and moving the files in /opt/parallax/bin fixed the version incompatibility issue. I'll never have a .deb installer ready in time to fix all these issues. :<
    edited 2014-08-04 15:37
    Ok,

Here is a better propelleride Debian, Ubuntu, Mint 64 bit Linux package solution that should work for everyone.
    Tested on Debian 6, 7, and Ubuntu 13.

This file propelleride-0.18-amd64.deb is a "debian binary" package. It means that to install it you need to use sudo or be root.

Please before continuing remove the old package with:

sudo ./setup.sh remove

To install, after download (don't unpack the file with archive manager etc...), use the Terminal command line program and go to the Downloads folder (if you have one).
    Don't use the distribution's "Software Center" tool. I have installed it with GDebi on Debian.

Then enter:

sudo dpkg -i propelleride-0.18-amd64.deb

If there are complaints about missing packages, note the package name ... libqtgui4 for example. Then install the packages:

sudo apt-get install libqtgui4

Some systems may need cleanups and this command will fix several things if you run into trouble.
    sudo apt-get install -f

Note that if you have to go through this, the propelleride may get installed in one of the other steps. Still it wouldn't hurt to do the install again. The package can be removed (mostly as /opt/propelleride seems to hang around for some reason).

Basic steps:
    sudo dpkg -i propelleride-0.18-amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -r propelleride

Now, back to that Mac mess.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2014-08-04 20:43
    Does this rely in the prior installion of openspin to correctly locate the Propeller?

Thanks
    edited 2014-08-04 20:53
    Does this rely in the prior installion of openspin to correctly locate the Propeller?

Thanks

No. But the FTDI driver needs to be installed for Linux. It's pre-packaged with the Windows installer.

I'd like to see if your Linux timeout problem happens with the package. You have a 64 bit linux?
    edited 2014-08-04 21:00
    I'm running:

LinuxMint
    Release 15 (olivia)
    Kernel Linux 3.8.0.19-generic
    MATE 1.6.0

Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3)
    Clock Speeds: 1: 2999.927 MHz 2: 2999.927 MHz
    edited 2014-08-04 21:06
    I'm running:

LinuxMint
    Release 15 (olivia)
    Kernel Linux 3.8.0.19-generic
    MATE 1.6.0

Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3)
    Clock Speeds: 1: 2999.927 MHz 2: 2999.927 MHz

Single core Pentium 4 would be 32 bit.

Try this: PropellerIDE 0.18 Mint 32 bit.

It requires unpacking with the Archive tool which should open after download.

Unpack to some folder then go there in the terminal and enter: $ sudo ./setup.sh
    If necessary remove with $ sudo ./setup.sh remove
    edited 2014-08-04 21:14
    Install doesn't appear to actually do anything.. returns to terminal prompt without invoking anything interesting.
    edited 2014-08-04 21:24
    Ok, got it running.. Seeing the Propeller with the Propplug.

I don't suppose you support non-Parallax standard code like this somehow do you?
    control_ptr	long	@@@control_table
    csi_cmds_ptr	long	@@@csi_cmds

edited 2014-08-04 21:25
    Same timeout errors I had before.. Going back to my weird /dev/ACM0 device for now..
    edited 2014-08-04 21:38
    What was the error message?

The compiler is openspin .... Don't think it supports @@@.
    edited 2014-08-04 21:39
    When i compile a program that doesn't support weird code, I'm seeing my Propeller reset before the code is completely loaded into ram, same as the other loaders.

Any chance I could convince you to support the little PIC based interface I'm using successfully with BST?
    edited 2014-08-04 21:50
    When i compile a program that doesn't support weird code, I'm seeing my Propeller reset before the code is completely loaded into ram, same as the other loaders.

I've seen this before and can fix it if I can reproduce it .... I have an old Pentium box with Fedora on it that may show the problem, but I can't bother with it or other issues for a few days.
    edited 2014-08-04 22:02
    I need to break down and buy a replacement board for my Intel i3 that dropped out on Father's day, but to be honest with you, I can do almost everything I need to do with this temporary machine, so it's taken a low priority here. :)
    edited 2014-08-04 22:03
    jazzed wrote: »
    What was the error message?

The compiler is openspin .... Don't think it supports @@@.

Looks like I could simply replace the setting in the IDE for bstc and get that functionality back. Nice.
    edited 2014-08-05 13:22
    Hi,

I've posted a PropellerIDE package for Mac users here.

To use the package, download, then Control+Click/Open with Installer.

This is a test package. If you already have an FTDI Chip driver, do not restart your Mac. The Apple FTDI USB driver is broken, so don't just assume that will work.

In the future, the installer will force a restart ... if you accept it. Also further into the future the package will be signed by Parallax.
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2014-08-05 17:45
    To use the package, download, then Control+Click/Open with Installer.

Any special reason that we need to Control-Click to install? Rather than just double-click?

dgately
    edited 2014-08-05 20:15
    dgately wrote: »
    Any special reason that we need to Control-Click to install? Rather than just double-click?

dgately

Thought the Mac installer would complain otherwise?
    edited 2014-08-05 22:21
    Thought the Mac installer would complain otherwise?

Ah, correct! You get no option to open without Control-Click unless you've set Security to allow it!

I stand duly corrected.

dgately
    edited 2014-08-06 00:09
    dgately wrote: »
    Ah, correct! You get no option to open without Control-Click unless you've set Security to allow it!

I stand duly corrected.

dgately

Are you in Europe yet?
    edited 2014-08-06 00:14
    Are you in Europe yet?

Still here... Will be there Monday.
    edited 2014-08-06 10:02
    it seems to load to RAM just fine but then reboots the board instead of running. So it reload the program in EEPROM and I never see my newly downloaded program. Loading to EEPROM works great though.

I installed Debian 7.6 on my old Pentium box, and have not been able to reproduce the problem there.

A few other people have had a similar problem with the built-in loader. The same people (except one) say that the p1load program David created works. So, I'll be enabling the p1load program for now until I have time to fix the internal loader. I hope you will be available for testing that later. Meanwhile, I'll make new packages.
    edited 2014-08-06 16:22
    Hi all.

Below are the latest packages for testing.

Linux users, please make sure to follow the instructions for $ adduser ${USER} dialout

Install instructions:

Debian/Mint/Ubuntu 32 bit Linux

1. Download package PropellerIDE Version 0.19 Debian Linux (i386, i686)
    2. Open Linux Terminal
    3. cd Downloads
    4. $ sudo dpkg -i propelleride-0.19-i386.deb
    5. $ sudo apt-get install -f
    6. $ sudo adduser ${USER} dialout
    7. Log out completely, then log back in for accessing the USB serial port.
    8. Start program with $ propelleride

Debian/Mint/Ubuntu 64 bit Linux

1. Download package PropellerIDE Version 0.19 Debian Linux(amd64,x86_64)
    2. Open Linux Terminal
    3. cd Downloads
    4. $ sudo dpkg -i propelleride-0.19-amd64.deb
    5. $ sudo apt-get install -f
    6. $ sudo adduser ${USER} dialout
    7. Log out completely, then log back in for accessing the USB serial port.
    8. Start program with $ propelleride

MacOS

1. Download package ... Package link removed. The current Mac packaging has some potential issues. Please do not use Mac version 0-19.
    2. Right click (or Ctrl+Click) package
    3. Choose Use Installer
    4. Reboot before trying program so FTDI driver will take effect (the apple ftdi driver is broken).

Windows

1. Download package PropellerIDE Version 0.19 Windows
    2. Run package
    3. Run program

Notes:

These packages use an external installer (p1load) written by David Betz. I forgot to attribute him as a developer in this revision except for the MacOS package. It will be done right in the next version.
    edited 2014-08-06 17:39
    There was a problem with the MacOS package. The external loader was missing. If you downloaded the MacOS package earlier and get load errors, please try the latest link (I don't have time to bump the version and rebuild everything!).
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2014-08-06 23:12
    Just downloaded the lasted version for the Mac. Works just fine with my DE0-nano Prop-1 FPGA... or whatever it is called:)

Thanks,

Rich
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    edited 2014-08-17 21:02
    Below are the latest packages for testing.

I've done some investigation into downloads with no DTR pin, and a means to instead generate the RESET signal from the RXD serial data - more detailed info is here :

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/156842-Xilinx-port-started...?p=1287492&viewfull=1#post1287492

I'm guessing that is an easy change to the SW at the DTR generate point ?