Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem with DE0 video — Parallax Forums

Problem with DE0 video

bartgranthambartgrantham Posts: 83
edited 2014-03-24 19:59 in Propeller 2
Can anyone confirm that the 2014-03-20 image has updated video demo programs for the DE0? Now that I have an add-on board (thanks, mindrobots!!!) I'd like to experiment with video a bit but I can't seem to get any results with composite, VGA, or component. I have confirmed that I can twiddle the DACs from the monitor, so I know that much is working. I guess my next step is to hook up my oscope to the DACs to see if they are generating signal. In the meantime, if someone could do a quick test (or if Chip could confirm) that the video programs work I can start blaming my cheap TV for not syncing.

Comments

• ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2014-03-24 11:29
    Bart,

I was able to run all of the simple_VGA_* demo's.

C.W.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-03-24 11:29
    Can anyone confirm that the 2014-03-20 image has updated video demo programs for the DE0? Now that I have an add-on board (thanks, mindrobots!!!) I'd like to experiment with video a bit but I can't seem to get any results with composite, VGA, or component. I have confirmed that I can twiddle the DACs from the monitor, so I know that much is working. I guess my next step is to hook up my oscope to the DACs to see if they are generating signal. In the meantime, if someone could do a quick test (or if Chip could confirm) that the video programs work I can start blaming my cheap TV for not syncing.
    You could drop back to the 2/6 image just to check your hardware. I'm pretty sure the video demos worked in that one. I never actually did any video with my adapter board, so I can't confirm or deny the actual hardware works. I also think ozproddev posted and updated BUGZ program for the new image, so that should work (if it is DE0 compatible).
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2014-03-24 11:30
    mindrobots wrote: »
    You could drop back to the 2/6 image just to check your hardware. I'm pretty sure the video demos worked in that one. I never actually did any video with my adapter board, so I can't confirm or deny the actual hardware works. I also think ozproddev posted and updated BUGZ program for the new image, so that should work (if it is DE0 compatible).

I think BUGZ uses the CORDIC, so no go on the nano.

C.W.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-03-24 11:33
    ctwardell wrote: »
    I think BUGZ uses the CORDIC, so no go on the nano.

C.W.

Right you are!

The 02/06 demos should work with the 02/06 emulation though for a hardware test.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2014-03-24 15:12
    Now that I have an add-on board

Did you add the jumper to the add on board as per the notes? " For DE0-Nano, jumper pin 3 to pin 5 on the 2 x 13 header to establish the video PLL loop:"

I use the VGA demo's with the Nano and the 2014-03-20 image with no problems. However, I haven't tried composite, VGA,

edited 2014-03-24 15:41
    Prop2_VGA_Comp_M.jpg

I tested Composite for you.( NTSC 256 x 192 - luma/color bars) Picture attached. Looks fine to me.
    580 x 418 - 123K
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2014-03-24 15:55
    Hi Bart
    Bob's right about the jumper I feel.
    Here's something else ypu can try
    P2 Invaders :)

Cheers
    Brian

Post Edit: BTW CORDIC BUGZ reuires 240k hub ram for video + 3 cogs, so DE2 only...sorry :)
    edited 2014-03-24 16:36
    Prop2_DE0_Nano_add_on_Board_Jmp.jpg

The picture shows the jumper location in red.
  • bartgranthambartgrantham Posts: 83
    edited 2014-03-24 19:59
    Did you add the jumper to the add on board as per the notes? " For DE0-Nano, jumper pin 3 to pin 5 on the 2 x 13 header to establish the video PLL loop:"

*hanging head in shame*

Yup. That was it. Thanks for the help, everyone.