Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
OPC Call for Speakers - Now Open! — Parallax Forums

OPC Call for Speakers - Now Open!

EmilyKurzeEmilyKurze Posts: 127
edited 2014-03-20 20:43 in Announcements
The Official Propeller Conference hosted by Parallax is fast approaching. Interested in speaking at the conference? We cordially invite you to submit an abstract of your 20-minute presentation for consideration to mktg@parallax.com. The Call for Speakers closes March 15th, and the final speaking schedule will be announced late March, early April.

We look forward to seeing you at the conference!

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-02-25 12:18
    Hey all,

Let's get some discussion going here. The marketing crew is handing us a really well-organized event, and they're looking for presenters. Emily put out an open invitation out for speakers, so we're looking for you.

Here are a couple of questions to get the discussion going:

(a) What kinds of presentations would you like to see at the OPC?
    (b) Care to identify a particular presenter you'd like to hear from?

Come on, y'all. Let's get some discussion going.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2013-02-25 12:59
    OK, I'll start the discussion off right away. Here's what I'd be interested in seeing:

- Chip, tell us about the Propeller 2? After all, it's gone to fabrication at this stage. What can we do with it, and what kinds of killer apps might occur?
    - Commercial uses - how about some of the product designers who are using Propeller 1?
    - Joe Grand, of course! Tell us about the new "hush hush" product design that you are working on!
    - Jeff Ledger - the Instructable projects have been interesting. Show us some examples!
    - David Betz, Andy Lindsay, Steve Denson - PropGCC tools and examples. You will all have much to share at this stage.
    - Ken's (my) high school students and their "navigate Lake Tahoe by GPS on a small cataraft" research project.

Ken Gracey
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2013-02-25 13:01
    I see OPC as a method of improving my abilities with the Propeller, so I will be a little selfish with the requests for content. However, I would also want to believe that Parallax intends to make the event applicable to both new Propeller/SPIN users as well as the die-hard gurus. With that said, here are a few ideas of what I would like to see that fits those of us on the opposite end of the guru scale:

1) A detailed run-through/explanation of a few of the Application Notes from Parallax Semiconductor. Specifically AN002, GPS Parsing and AN005 GUI and Graphics with VGA. The Appnotes are excellent, but having an expert run through it would be beneficial to newbies and "code-hackers" like me.

2) A crash course in sprites and their usage in displays for games, etc. Maybe OBC can do a live run-through of his 3 instructables on Creating Animation and Games, including SLUG.

3) A Parallax Product Roadmap. Ignoring the Propeller2 which will be covered on its own, what is Parallax's roadmap for other products and offerings? What is Parallax developing that will bring in the next wave of Propeller users?

I have thought of offering up a couple ideas for a speaking segment, but not sure if they would be useful. Here is what I have been thinking about:

1) Outsourcing 101. What it takes to outsource your product to an Contract Manufacturer. I started on a presentation for UPEW 2011, but wasn't able to finish it in time for the show.
    2) Overview of my Shackable Scavenger Hunt project. I would need to finalize/cleanup the code, but it's a neat little project that will be easy for newbies.
    edited 2013-02-25 13:45
    1) Outsourcing 101. What it takes to outsource your product to an Contract Manufacturer. I started on a presentation for UPEW 2011, but wasn't able to finish it in time for the show.

3) A Parallax Product Roadmap. Ignoring the Propeller2 which will be covered on its own, what is Parallax's roadmap for other products and offerings? What is Parallax developing that will bring in the next wave of Propeller users?

Please submit for #1.

Fish on for #3. I'm glad that you don't mistake our silence about what we're doing for a lack of action. Therefore, I'll take this topic because there's a bunch to talk about!

Ken Gracey
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2013-02-25 16:25
    um....can we have one "just for kicks" and/or a "fun presentation" ?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,855
    edited 2013-02-25 17:04
    Maybe Invent-O-Doc can talk about the contest?
    edited 2013-02-25 17:25
    um....can we have one "just for kicks" and/or a "fun presentation" ?

Why not? I haven't seen any structured guidelines for making a presentation. And you've been here before, so you've seen some of the crazier presentations from Rick Gallinson.

Do we hear a volunteer for making a presentation in you, TinkersALot?

Ken Gracey
    edited 2013-02-25 17:26
    Rayman wrote: »
    Maybe Invent-O-Doc can talk about the contest?

Sure, this could also meet TinkersALot's request for a "fun presentation" because Invent-O-Doc is a unique character with some interesting stories to tell.
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2013-02-25 17:32
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Do we hear a volunteer for making a presentation in you, TinkersALot?

Ken Gracey

I can certainly try -- there are some "zany haired ideas" I have been pursuing lately with propellers lashed to them -- It depends if I can find a suitable enclosure -- cuz right now they are best described as balls of confusion , er, wires.....but they are fun and work.. let me see what I can pull off
  • KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2013-02-25 20:36
    I love love to be able to speak about my CMUcam4 unit. However, I know I can't fly out there. I have finals for my last semester at CMU the week after the conference.

I'm not really too sure that a web conference with me would do justice...

Thanks,
  • EmilyKurzeEmilyKurze Posts: 127
    edited 2013-02-27 11:49
    Thanks for you feedback on what you'd like to see at the event. Keep it coming!
    edited 2013-03-07 16:48
    Just submitted my abstract (oh, and bump....)
    edited 2013-03-11 11:47
    Please submit your speaking titles and a brief description of your 20-minute talk to mktg@parallax.com by Friday March 15th to be considered for the speaking schedule. Spaces are filling up!

We look forward to seeing you at the conference!
    edited 2013-04-15 15:03
    What are the specifications for the projection system at Parallax? Can it handle a 16:9 format VGA output at 1600x900 resolution? I started my presentation with a 16:9 template and I don't want to get to Parallax and have it not display correctly.
    edited 2013-04-16 10:03
    What are the specifications for the projection system at Parallax? Can it handle a 16:9 format VGA output at 1600x900 resolution? I started my presentation with a 16:9 template and I don't want to get to Parallax and have it not display correctly.

Here is the specification sheet on our projector.

http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Sony-VPL-CX21-projector.html

I hope this helps!
    edited 2013-04-16 11:43
    Thanks, that does help but doesn't give me the answer I wanted. The projector uses a 4:3 format so I will change my template. Better to find out now then at OPC. :thumb: Also, the maximum input resolution is 1400x1050, but my laptop automatically adjusts to the projector for resolution using DDC communication so that should work out ok.
  • teganburnsteganburns Posts: 134
    edited 2014-03-20 20:43
    Multirotors is definitely something that I would like to hear someone talk about