Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-02-07 04:43
    Incredible.
  • Kerry SKerry S Posts: 163
    edited 2014-02-07 05:26
    Heater. wrote: »
    rjo__

What actually is the pain here? It's exactly the same procedure as for Linux on a PC which is no more difficult than installing on Windows.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81267937/SimpleIDE-0-9-46.armv6l.raspberrypi-linux.tar.bz2

What is the road block?

I recently downloaded and installed this on a Pi for my project. Was simple, fast and worked perfectly first try. Except for the HDMI video requirement the Pi is an amazing cheap dev system for the Propeller.

Thank you Heater for the work in getting this Pi package put together!
  • Kerry SKerry S Posts: 163
    edited 2014-02-07 05:32
    Ale wrote: »
    One of these:

http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php :D

prices just look ridiculous low nowadays

Those look really nice. Was considering one before I ordered a Cubieboard 2. It is also amazing (similar specs). Big problem with it is that the Android OS that comes installed on it is broken (just enough to do a splash screen to show the board is alive) and the Linux distro that they are putting together for it is far from complete with a lot of things not supported yet. Thus I ended up going with the Raspberry Pi since it has great support and has a good robust OS package available with lots of documentation.
    edited 2014-02-07 05:46
    Thanks for the feedback Kerry. It's good to know this is working for people.
    Hopefully, I keep saying this, I'll get itto load the Prop via the UART on the GPIO header soon. Then we won't need a USB/Serial adapter.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2014-02-07 06:10
    On the other hand hardkernel is constantly updating images for Android and Ubuntu, if that U3 is handled anything like my XU there will be way better images already available and new updates several times a week. The activity level is high.

-Tor
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-02-07 11:54
    rjo__ wrote: »
    Heater,

I read that the install for SimpleIDE takes about 8 hours. No?

Rich
    Who was spreading this? It's probably just "broken telephone."

It installs in seconds. Downloading can take a while on a 57.6Kbaud modem though :)

As far as build times ... I can rebuild PropellerGCC from scratch on i7 Linux or MAC in less than 14 minutes.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2014-02-07 12:49
    Ale wrote: »
    One of these:

http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php :D

prices just look ridiculous low nowadays

Impressive little brick, looks nimble.

Can you build directly for a RPi on this, or does that become a 'cross compile' ?
    edited 2014-02-07 14:17
    Jazzed,

Yes you can build everything on a PC in a flash.

Can you cross compile a propgcc and SimpleIDE that runs on a Raspberry Pi?

If so please say so and how. So that I don't have to do it any more.

ODROID and CUBIE guys will have to take care of themselves.
    edited 2014-02-07 14:25
    Jazzed,

I just checked the "broken telephone" idea.

Reality is that SimpleIDE and propgcc is not available for the Pi and other "weird" platforms unless build instructions are available or some one does it for you. If you only have build instructions it will take a long time.

I'm not suggesting that you should provide packages for every possible platform. Just have some sympathy for us freaks out here:)
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2014-02-10 20:29
    Seems like there is a critical mass of interest and skill for several P2 development platforms. That's great! There are reasons for favoring each. It's not hard to understand why one would want to use a familiar IDE like Eclipse. Nor is it difficult to appreciate the convenience of a serial link like Heater proposed, especially if you are accustomed to doing all your work on one box.

Still, I favor a P2 for P2 development. Instant-On, blitzkrieg compiles, and complete independence are extremely attractive to me.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2014-02-10 21:05
    User Name wrote: »
    Seems like there is a critical mass of interest and skill for several P2 development platforms. That's great! There are reasons for favoring each. It's not hard to understand why one would want to use a familiar IDE like Eclipse. Nor is it difficult to appreciate the convenience of a serial link like Heater proposed, especially if you are accustomed to doing all your work on one box.

Still, I favor a P2 for P2 development. Instant-On, blitzkrieg compiles, and complete independence are extremely attractive to me.

I could write such a system very quickly, but there's one pile of knowledge I don't have yet, though it's been detailed before quite extensively on here: how to talk to an SD card and read and write files. As most everything modern, it's a disaster of complexity and uncertainty. Kye made a driver, but it was not, at all, trivial, and I remember him saying that even he had some uncertainty about it. If a reliable and finite approach could be taken to the SD card issue, we'll have everything we need.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2014-02-10 22:04
    Do we need to know this in order to have the chip boot SD and into development?

Seems to me, a binary image on something much simpler could be loaded in, perhaps with a monitor command or something, and once it's loaded, the more complex solution to the SD card issue could be handled there, not in ROM.
    edited 2014-02-10 22:33
    potatohead wrote: »
    Do we need to know this in order to have the chip boot SD and into development?

Seems to me, a binary image on something much simpler could be loaded in, perhaps with a monitor command or something, and once it's loaded, the more complex solution to the SD card issue could be handled there, not in ROM.

I'm just thinking about file I/O, after we boot from the SPI Flash. The SD card becomes the go-between with PC's/MACs for long-term backup and file transmission.
    edited 2014-02-10 23:25
    In that case, we do know quite a lot about the SD card. We could start with the older, simpler ones. They are out there and a lot of devices require them, so we have time.

The big objection was SD as a boot device. If it's not for booting, we have far more options, and we can update just that piece as the rest gets sorted out, IMHO.
    edited 2014-02-10 23:39
    potatohead wrote: »
    In that case, we do know quite a lot about the SD card. We could start with the older, simpler ones. They are out there and a lot of devices require them, so we have time.

The big objection was SD as a boot device. If it's not for booting, we have far more options, and we can update just that piece as the rest gets sorted out, IMHO.

Yes, I think once we (or I) become versed in these things, it won't be a big deal. I think we should aim to support the latest cards, if it's not too much trouble and we are starting from scratch, anyway.
    edited 2014-02-11 00:59
    SD cards seem to be a common problem. According to this page: http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards many of them don't work on the Raspberry Pi. Mostly due to software driver issues I believe. Many of which have been fixed over time.

I don't see this as a reason not to proceed.

What's the situation with the MicroSoft FAT file system patents now a days? Long file names and all that.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2014-02-11 03:26
    There's no issues using the FAT filesystem, the issue is the long filename method used. If you stick with 8.3 names everything is safe.

The long filename patent has been invalidated in Germany recently. It expires in April 2015 (a little over a year form now).
    edited 2014-02-11 08:22
    Yes, the long filenames were used in the Atari ST before Microsoft actually implemented them.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2014-02-11 16:56
    A long? time ago somebody posted code for key's sd driver supporting READ of long filenames. It uses a 256 Byte buffer to access the filename which is stored as continuous directory entries of type whatever.
    I can dig this out. I studied the code and kept a copy. But just read access no write no path.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-02-11 17:05
    Lets just start with the basic FAT16/32 8.3 first. It can be expanded later if anyone has the desire. I started a new thread to begin work, but no takers yet.
    edited 2014-02-13 02:33
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Lets just start with the basic FAT16/32 8.3 first. It can be expanded later if anyone has the desire. I started a new thread to begin work, but no takers yet.

Cluso, could you please direct me (again) to the post about the new instructions needed for USB? Thanks.
    edited 2014-02-13 03:18
    cgracey wrote: »
    Cluso, could you please direct me (again) to the post about the new instructions needed for USB? Thanks.
    Here is the link Chip. Some of these have been done/fixed already.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/125543-Propeller-II-update-BLOG?p=1224661&viewfull=1#post1224661
    edited 2014-02-13 04:43
    Cluso99 wrote: »

Thanks! As far as the CRC goes, is there a constant polynomial used for USB? Making it variable entails a lot of shifters. If it's constant, the hardware is very small.
  • DelusDelus Posts: 79
    edited 2014-02-13 10:13
    I don't know what the current going rate is but if SD booting make it into the hardware a $0.25 royalty (even if it is to M$) would be a small price to pay for full SD file system access with no worries of using this capability in commercial products.

Wikipedia sites $0.25 as of dec, 2003: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

My 2 cents
    David
    edited 2014-02-13 11:51
    Delus,

1) $0.25 is a serious lot of the $1.00 dollar or so such a chip should cost today.

2) Having to pay MS for such simple thing is not even thinkable. It's an outrage.

3) Thankfully the plan is not to put such things in the actual Prop II hardware (ROM).
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2014-02-13 11:51
    Thanks! As far as the CRC goes, is there a constant polynomial used for USB? Making it variable entails a lot of shifters. If it's constant, the hardware is very small.

The web says there are two used

["Cyclic Redundancy Code (CRC)

A CRC is a value calculated from a number of data bytes to form a unique value which is transmitted along with the data bytes, and then used to validate the correct reception of the data.

USB uses two different CRCs, one 5 bits long (CRC5) and one 16 bits long (CRC16).

See the USB specification for details of the algorithms used."]

and this
    http://www.usb.org/developers/whitepapers/crcdes.pdf
    edited 2014-02-13 13:58
    Here is the code I used to test the CRC16 USB/IBM using the polynomial (reversed) $A001
      fdx.str(string("Test CRC16 USB",13))      
      POLY := $A001
      BITS := 16
      CRC  := $FFFF                                         ' initialise
      repeat 10
        DATA := fdx.rx                                      ' wait for char input
        fdx.hex(DATA,2)

d := DATA & $FF
        repeat i from 0 to 7
          c := (d ^ crc) & $01                              ' data bit 0 XOR crc bit 0
          d := d >> 1                                       ' data >> 1
          crc := crc >> 1                                   ' crc  >> 1
          if c
            crc := crc ^ poly                               ' if c==1: crc xor poly

fdx.tx(" ")
          fdx.hex(crc,4)
        ' invert before sending, then send low byte first
        x := crc ^ $FFFF
        fdx.tx(" ")
        fdx.tx("$")
        fdx.hex(x,4)

USB also uses CRC5 but this can be calculated quite simply.

There are two other CRC16 polynomials. The first is CCITT (more common) and the other is XMODEM (which incorrectly implemented CCITT).
    CRC-16 USB/IBM:     0x8005      =  x[SUP]16[/SUP] + x[SUP]15[/SUP] + x[SUP]2[/SUP] + 1   (use reversed = $A001)
    CRC-CCITT:          0x1021      =  x[SUP]16[/SUP] + x[SUP]12[/SUP] + x[SUP]5[/SUP] + 1   (use reversed = $8408)
    CRC-XMODEM:         0x8408      =  x[SUP]16[/SUP] + x[SUP]15[/SUP] + x[SUP]10[/SUP] + x[SUP]3[/SUP]   (I think we can use CCITT and just reverse the result???)

Here are a couple of links...
    http://www.zorc.breitbandkatze.de/crc.html (online CRC calculator)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computation_of_cyclic_redundancy_checks

Just in case, here is the 5-bit crc used in USB
      POLY := $14
      BITS := 5
      CRC  := $1F                                           ' initialise
      repeat 
        DATA := fdx.rx                                      ' wait for char input
        fdx.hex(DATA,2)

d := DATA & $FF
        repeat i from 0 to 7
          c := (d ^ crc) & $01                              ' data bit 0 XOR crc bit 0
          d := d >> 1                                       ' data >> 1
          crc := crc >> 1                                   ' crc  >> 1
          if c
            crc := crc ^ poly                               ' if c==1: crc xor poly

fdx.tx(" ")
          fdx.hex(crc,4)
        fdx.tx(13)

• rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2014-02-16 18:30
    We had a small fire at my house… mostly smoke, nobody injured/ Prop2-nano safe. So, I apologize that I haven't responded lately.
    Getting the smoke smell out of the house in sub-zero temperatures was a treat:)

It now appears that almost everything I could have asked for is being implemented in the P2.

I have written some utilities for the P2-nano for multiplication, division and serial out of integers. BUT what I am
    hoping is that once Chip comes up for air… either the new boards for the DE2 will go on sale or Chip will announce
    that he is dropping support for the Nano and moving on to the next best thing.

Cheers

Rich
    edited 2014-02-17 00:29
    What ? No! I only have a Nano. I can't justify splashing out for more kit.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2014-02-17 00:53
    as for CRC ... sd card needs CRC 7 and CRC 16... if you want to use more pins than spi-mode does.
    The polynomial for CRC7 is 0x89; the polynomial for CRC16 is 0x1021 which is based upon a standard called CRC-CCITT
    Here is a sample CRC-7 useful for SD-Card command structure in Verilog HDL function format.
    The din is the fresh bit that enters into the card. Always, the leftmost bit on the printed paper
    is the one that enters the card first. Also, sending CRC-7 is optional during response
    function [6:0] FNC7; 
    input [6:0] crc7; 
    // crc7 is stored as a reg outside 
    // initilizes to all zero prior to 
    // receiving the first cmd bit. 
    // crc7 is progressed till the 
    // crc pattern itself is received. 
    // freeze crc7 as computed till then, 
    // store the incoming crc pattern and 
    // match the two. You can do this bit 
    // by bit or as a whole pattern - up 
    // to you.