Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
INDA/IINDB alternative? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

INDA/IINDB alternative?

2»

Comments

• SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2013-11-22 06:04
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    Sadly I think I hear the sound of bullets bouncing of the walls again! :)

Oh, I hope not in this case! I hope that this suggestion might actually result in a simpler (but not necessarily fewer gates) implementation of the cogs. Of course, everything always works perfectly "in theory". And I suspect that there's a sizable gap between my "theory" and Chip's "reality". And there might be a good middle ground, as well. For instance, it might be possible to make the INDx-handling changes in the pipeline, while still using the COND bits. We wouldn't get conditional execution, but we would still get task-safe INDx (including a fix for the self-jump "issue"),
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2013-11-22 11:59
    I was wondering about an alternative method...

There is an extra 1-bit flag register (per cog).
    0: When reset (default and init state) the INDn acts as they do now: No cond codes; INDn/IND++/IND--/++IND
    1: When set: WIth cond codes and INDn only (ie No auto inc/dec)

This requires:
    (1) Either FIXINDn instructions to be extended to include a set/reset the above flag bit
    or a new CFGINDn instruction to set/reset the above flag
    (2) A new instruction(s) INCINDn/DECINDn to perform INDn++, IND-- and obeys the max/min wrap of FIXINDn settings

This keeps everything as it is now, plus allows the user to give up the auto inc/dec for full access to the condition codes (all 16 conds) on a per cog basis. It can also be dynamically be changed (with a delay of course to clear the pipe). This also permits overcoming some of the issues of multitasking.