P2 part number and name - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

P2 part number and name

2»

Comments

• jac_goudsmitjac_goudsmit Posts: 418
    edited 2013-09-05 08:27
    jazzed wrote: »
    "Archimedes" is a fair name.

Perhaps, but search results will be contaminated with the Acorn Archimedes computer from the 1980s...

===Jac
  • jac_goudsmitjac_goudsmit Posts: 418
    edited 2013-09-05 08:43
    A simple suffix is insufficient to distinguish a completely different chip and package. No, we need this as an infix as I would imagine the prefix is "Parallax" and should remain so. Hypens and slashes should be avoided althogether so how about a simple P28X32C so you pronounce that as P2 8X 32 C.

I like the P28X32C idea but how about instead of using 2-8 for "Second Generation, eight cogs" we use P84X32C (eight cogs, four threads per cog).

If you know what the numbers stand for but not what the real differences are, P28X32C kinda sounds like "Hey, it's the second generation but there's still only 8 cogs and 32 bits". P84X32C sounds more like "Look, still eight cogs thirty-two bits but now there are 4 threads per cog".

Both will definitely be mispronounced with "Twenty-eight" and "Eighty-four", but "Eighty..." is closer to "Eight" than "Twenty" is to "Two"....

I don't know... I guess my argument is not that good but it just sounds better in my head ;-)

===Jac
  • rod1963rod1963 Posts: 752
    edited 2013-09-05 09:51
    Rather silly.

If Parallax is interested in visibility for their new chip,. they need to do advertising and attend conferences like ESC. Get the word out, put eval boards and software in the right hands, some nice write ups in EDN and CCI wouldn't hurt either.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2013-09-05 15:09
    rod1963 wrote: »
    Rather silly.

If Parallax is interested in visibility for their new chip,. they need to do advertising and attend conferences like ESC. Get the word out, put eval boards and software in the right hands, some nice write ups in EDN and CCI wouldn't hurt either.

Of course, but do not underestimate the importance of family-substring match in web search engines.

Hop over to findchips.com, and try a few.
    eg AT89LP51 finds a lot, with a large range of horsepower. AT89LP finds even more, Same for PIC16F, or C8051F