Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Making the Prop2 accessible to me:) — Parallax Forums

Making the Prop2 accessible to me:)

rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
edited 2013-07-23 15:16 in Propeller 2
I'm not really worried about the rest of the world. I'm just getting a little antsy about having a board that I can plug into the wall, with component outputs and a HUGE prototyping area, with holes that are connected to each other in an
orderly and useful manner.

I wanted them on my desk last month and they are still not on my desk today.

So, I'm starting to think you guys really don't care about me... and maybe I should just build a board myself.

If so... where is the Diptrace part that I need on my board to plug my Prop2 module into?... (English is my first and only language but sometimes I just don't care:)

Is there any way to get Diptrace to support 600-800 holes without selling my grandson?

Rich

Comments

• tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2013-07-20 20:42
    >Is there any way to get Diptrace to support 600-800 holes without selling my grandson?
    From what I understand, the free 300 limit on pads only include the pads from patterns and not individually placed pads (like a bunch of holes placed in a 0.1" spacing)
    but non-profit 1000 pads only cost $125
    http://www.diptrace.com/nonprofit.php
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2013-07-20 20:53
    Thanks.

I looked but didn't see that option!!!

I have used Diptrace to the 300 pad limit with no complaints.
    Rich
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-07-21 08:51
    rjo__
    I'm not really worried about the rest of the world.

Interesting approach to asking for help.

What if the rest of the world thinks: "OK, we are not worried about rjo__. Next."

I'm curious, what's the hurry. Do you have a Prop II module to mount on anything?
    edited 2013-07-22 16:12
    Heater,

Excellent point. What makes me laugh apparently doesn't do the same for others:)

My thinking was that there are lots people like me.
    I'd rather buy a board, even if it isn't exactly what I want,
    than to make a board that fails to meet my needs, because of
    something I don't know(of which there is plenty). This creates opportunities for others
    and for folks like myself.

What I am looking for is a general purpose board that will allow me
    to easily daisy chain Prop2 modules. I would like to purchase a few boards now, so I
    can configure everything and be somewhat ready for the arrival of the Prop2 modules.

If someone is working on it, then I don't have too:)

On the other hand, if no-one has such a board in the works or doesn't plan to ship
    prior to the Prop2's arrival, then I have some work to do.

My fear is that no-one will build the kind of boards I want because the boards would be simple... and therefore
    just about anyone could do it... and therefore there is little market logic to proceed.

Thanks

Rich
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2013-07-22 19:22
    rjo__ wrote: »
    What I am looking for is a general purpose board that will allow me
    to easily daisy chain Prop2 modules.

There are break-out style board planned, so they should daisy chain fine ?
    or do you have some special form of daisy chain in mind ?
    edited 2013-07-22 19:49
    JMG... yes, something as simple as possible. if you could make it support the '4000' quickstart header http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Images/Prod/7/721/721-00017-M.jpgso that add-on cards would fit over your form factor, it would be nice but is not required.

Can I order a few?

Rich
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2013-07-23 03:10
    I Money is a problem kicad is free http://www.kicad-pcb.org and it works
    edited 2013-07-23 15:16
    Roadster,

Value was the problem. I somehow didn't see the $125 price for non-profit work... and mine is distinctly non-profit. For a regular license with no restrictions, the regular price for 1000 pads wasn't worth it to me. I would have paid it. But I'm glad I asked:)

I'm on a Mac and KiCad supports a Mac. Dipitrace works, but occasionally I seem to be doing the same things but I don't get the same result:) Probably me.
    But I'll take a look at KiCad.

I saw a diagram for the pin placement, but being the lazy sort ... and not exactly a wiz at board design, I was hoping someone would point me to a part that has a Diptrace footprint.

Thanks

Rich

Still hoping someone, with market ambitions, will save me the work:) I like Australia, Great Britain, Russia, Italy and China... its a big world, lets stimulate the economy a bit.