Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropGCC Propeller 2 Bug Fixes - and your chance for first-release Propeller hardware! - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

PropGCC Propeller 2 Bug Fixes - and your chance for first-release Propeller hardware!

1235»

Comments

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-03-25 21:11
    doggiedoc wrote: »
    I can't seem to find the thread in the P1 forum where Ken Gracey mentions testing the 'p2test' build on the P1. Did it disappear?

It's here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/146628-PropGCC-Testing-for-Propeller-1-(get-a-free-Propeller-2-system!)

The P1 forum is so busy that it's on about the third or forth page right now.

Thanks for working with PropGCC! Let us know if you have any problems.
  • kbashkbash Posts: 117
    edited 2013-03-26 21:50
    "Dr. Strauss says I shud rite down what I think and evrey thing that happins to me from now on. I dont know why but he says its importint so they will see if they will use me. I hope they use me. Miss Kinnian says maybe they can make me smart. I want to be smart."

Between Labivew, spin and pasm... I've managed to do most everything I needed to do with computers over the last few years. I've pretty well forgotten C ( as evidenced by the job interview I was doing so well at a couple of years ago until the interviewers threw down a simple C programming test and walked out of the room for a few minutes. couldn't even remember how to START. I could have done it in Spin in two minutes or so. No... they had never heard of spin. no, I didn't get the job )

Now... everything old is new again;

I dug up ( literally, if you count the half inch of dust I had to blow out of an old DOS system ) some old C++ code I wrote for one of my milling machines many moons ago. ( about 228 to be more precise). After five old hard drives that wouldn't even say hello, I finally got a 250 megabyte drive to chat. ( yes I said megabyte. Don't sneer children... I have a 10 megabyte hard drive in the same pile) It had my old code on it.

I would like to see if I can grind off some of the corners and start getting my old code ready for the P2.

I downloaded the prop2gcc code, installed it in the C: root directory, opened the little black window, went to the simplest demo ( toggle) I could think of and typed: make

I got back a message box back saying:

make,exe Entry Point Not Found.

The procedure entry point libintl_setlcale could not be located in the
    dynamic link library libintl-8.dll

I know I've lost a lot of brain cells in the last few decades but needing to learn C again really is a bit like having been smart once... but not no more.

I've worked with different IDEs but I've never had to do command line compiles. I thought I did everything in the readme windows file, but at this stage of the game... I don't know if I'm up against difficulties with the Prop2Gcc ... or simply my own stupidity.

Any docs or tutorials out there for bozos like me who are having to start from the beginning again?

Ps... the Simple IDE is great and works nice for P1, but for the heavy lifting I need to get my old code to run, It's going to take the P2.

Thanks for any advice, and thanks for the really wonderful work all you guys are doing to make this happen!

Gotta go buy some flowers for Algernon.

Ken B.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-03-27 01:40
    kbash wrote: »
    Any docs or tutorials out there for bozos like me who are having to start from the beginning again?

Ps... the Simple IDE is great and works nice for P1, but for the heavy lifting I need to get my old code to run, It's going to take the P2.

I'd suggest finding a tutorial for plain ole' vanilla C/C++ on a PC, and starting from there. Do some Hello World type stuff and maybe a few games, then come back to the Propeller. PropGCC doesn't disturb the standard C environment too much.

And are you sure that the P1 can't do what you want? You might be surprised at the performance.
  • kbashkbash Posts: 117
    edited 2013-03-27 06:34
    I wouldn't be terribly surprised. It's been a wonderful chip for a long time and people are still wringing new stuff out of it.

I've got the P1 doing most of the things necessary, I wrote a 6 axis machine control function a few years ago and it works great for equipment that uses stepper motors, I've been waiting for the P2 with baited breath for almost as long as my twins have been alive... ( they turn 10 next week) and I've been waiting for it to be close enough to "Real" to justify starting to write code for it. It's starting to seem like we might be near that time.

I have a CNC mill that uses standard servos and operates with analog input. I'm using it as a testbed for low-level control with the P1, I've got a basic closed loop positioning function working somewhat using encoder feedback and the HB-25 motor controller, but for fast, accurate positioning I'll need to use a tunable PID loop and the analog capability of the P2 will be a nice match.

I have started doing some C programming for the P1 with the Simple IDE, but I'd like to be ready for the P2 when it's a real part. I was just hoping someone else had tried the command line "Make" and knew what I or it was doing wrong.

Thanks for the advice!

Ken
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-03-27 07:04
    kbash wrote: »
    "Dr. Strauss says I shud rite down what I think and evrey thing that happins to me from now on. I dont know why but he says its importint so they will see if they will use me. I hope they use me. Miss Kinnian says maybe they can make me smart. I want to be smart."

Between Labivew, spin and pasm... I've managed to do most everything I needed to do with computers over the last few years. I've pretty well forgotten C ( as evidenced by the job interview I was doing so well at a couple of years ago until the interviewers threw down a simple C programming test and walked out of the room for a few minutes. couldn't even remember how to START. I could have done it in Spin in two minutes or so. No... they had never heard of spin. no, I didn't get the job )

Now... everything old is new again;

I dug up ( literally, if you count the half inch of dust I had to blow out of an old DOS system ) some old C++ code I wrote for one of my milling machines many moons ago. ( about 228 to be more precise). After five old hard drives that wouldn't even say hello, I finally got a 250 megabyte drive to chat. ( yes I said megabyte. Don't sneer children... I have a 10 megabyte hard drive in the same pile) It had my old code on it.

I would like to see if I can grind off some of the corners and start getting my old code ready for the P2.

I downloaded the prop2gcc code, installed it in the C: root directory, opened the little black window, went to the simplest demo ( toggle) I could think of and typed: make

I got back a message box back saying:

make,exe Entry Point Not Found.

The procedure entry point libintl_setlcale could not be located in the
    dynamic link library libintl-8.dll

I know I've lost a lot of brain cells in the last few decades but needing to learn C again really is a bit like having been smart once... but not no more.

I've worked with different IDEs but I've never had to do command line compiles. I thought I did everything in the readme windows file, but at this stage of the game... I don't know if I'm up against difficulties with the Prop2Gcc ... or simply my own stupidity.

Thanks for any advice, and thanks for the really wonderful work all you guys are doing to make this happen!

Gotta go buy some flowers for Algernon.

Ken B.
    Are you sure you have your path set correctly? It should have "C:\propgcc\bin" in it somewhere. You might want to put that first in your PATH just so you don't end up using some version of "make.exe" that is left over from some other install.

Also, I believe it is possible to use the P2 version of PropGCC that you've downloaded with SimpleIDE. You just have to add the compiler option "-mp2".